Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Poll: Rev-Matching Manual Transmission Taco's, Do You Do It?

View Poll Results: Do you rev match your manual transmission Taco?
Yes 64 68.09%
No 30 31.91%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-26-2012, 07:20 AM   #1
Special Substitute Guest Member
cintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
cintocrunch's Tacoma Gallery
Poll: Rev-Matching Manual Transmission Taco's, Do You Do It?

This poll has spawned from the 6 speed improvement threads where a lot of people either don't know how or think rev matching is dumb in a Tacoma...I personally do it since it makes the truck (and any vehicle IMO) much more enjoyable and easier to drive in traffic and on roads with a lot of downshifting...If you don't know what rev matching is, go on youtube or google it.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:26 AM   #2
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
I hear it's great on synchros!
Old 01-26-2012, 07:29 AM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
When I drove my Ranger I used to rev match when I was bored but not all the time. People rev match to avoid upsetting the. vehicle's balance. This of course only matters when you are racing. Personally I liked having the vehicle slow down a bit when downshifting since I needed to slow down anyway.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:33 AM   #4
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
I do, reason being to be easy on the clutch. the closer you get on the rev match, the less the clutch has to slip to get the engine up to road speed. If you really downshift hard the rear wheels can even break loose which isn't good in bad weather.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:35 AM   #5
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
I do it on other vehicles because I can, makes for a smoother ride. My taco is an auto tho

....just sayin.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:38 AM   #6
Joe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
Joe D's Tacoma Gallery
The truck I have listed on here is one of the few automatics I've owned in my life. At least 90% have been manuals. In fact, the 2010 Taco (not listed on here) that I drive sometimes is a manual.

I do rev match as much as I can in hopes of making the drive smooth, preserve the clutch & not put any undue stress on other parts of the drivetrain.

And I don't hold the clutch in while stopped, use the clutch to hold myself on a hill and I don't down shift when coming to a complete stop unless the brakes are being over worked.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:05 AM   #7
My name is Mudd
mcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant future

Name: mike
mcdowell's Tacoma Gallery
That's how I drove my Peterbuilt. Easier on clutch . Didn't have to use clutch
Old 01-26-2012, 09:06 AM   #8
cintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirginiaBound View Post
I hear it's great on synchros!
Has no impact if done correctly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
When I drove my Ranger I used to rev match when I was bored but not all the time. People rev match to avoid upsetting the. vehicle's balance. This of course only matters when you are racing. Personally I liked having the vehicle slow down a bit when downshifting since I needed to slow down anyway.
I think you can use it for more than racing...sitting in Baltimore and DC traffic it is much easier to rev match the downshifts when going back and forth between gears than to keep easing the clutch out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
I do it on other vehicles because I can, makes for a smoother ride. My taco is an auto tho

....just sayin.
I appreciate it...
Old 01-26-2012, 09:09 AM   #9
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by cintocrunch View Post
I think you can use it for more than racing...sitting in Baltimore and DC traffic it is much easier to rev match the downshifts when going back and forth between gears than to keep easing the clutch out..
I drove a manual for about 6 years in LA traffic. I really had no issues driving normal.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:20 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
I drove a manual for about 6 years in LA traffic. I really had no issues driving normal.
Agree to disagree...
Old 01-26-2012, 09:37 AM   #11
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
I also feel like speed racer rev matching it coming into a corner

This truck is pretty impossible to heel toe though with the brake pedal being so much higher than the throttle. Plus I suck at it.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:23 AM   #12
Kurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Kurdain's Tacoma Gallery
40,000 miles on my 2007 and 27,000 on my 2009 driving normally without rev matching. Zero issues at all with either truck.

I don't try to go from 6th to first though, and if I skip gears shifting up I shift a little slower.

IMHO the biggest issue is that the throttle lingers after lift-off, but that's a known issue.

I also had 150,000 on my '85, over 1/2 that time lifted w/o regearing. Original clutch and tranny. Never rev matched.

I also have a 420 RWHP MR2 that get banged in every gear, no rev matching. Still 'original' clutch since the build and original TRD tranny. (about 10k on clutch, and about 15k on tranny.)
Old 01-26-2012, 11:25 AM   #13
4Runner Pilot
YFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lee
YFZ_TRD's Tacoma Gallery
I don't downshift when coming to a stop, I would much rather wear my brakes and have to replace those earlier than have to replace a transmission or clutch due to excessive downshifting. My Tacoma was too much of a bitch with the rev hang to get the hang of it anyway.

On my STi I rev match when I'm downshifting coming into a corner to not upset the "Balance" as someone said earlier. When the car is hunkered down coming into a corner it can really throw shit off if you cause binding from making the clutch bring the engine up to road speed. But when it comes to just slowing down coming up to a light on a highway or something, I just let it slow down in whatever gear I'm in and then put it in neutral and use my brakes.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:35 PM   #14
Night is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Night's Tacoma Gallery
I would if I had a manual. Its less work on the leg and less clutch usage to always put it in and out.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:53 PM   #15
iroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

iroh's Tacoma Gallery
If throttle blip counts then yup, every time. Done it for years... never even crosses my mind when I do it. Clutches aren't cheap and it saves wear if the engine does its own work.

Sometimes I'll get ambitious when doing a big downshift and double clutch and revmatch, but normally I let the synchros take the abuse.

I cringe when I ride in someone else's vehicle and they put it in 3rd at speed and let out the clutch without touching the gas. Nails on a chalkboard...
Old 01-26-2012, 06:58 PM   #16
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Are you talking about bringing the engine up to road speed after you've already shifted gears? Or are you talking about bringing the rpms up while in neutral before shifting (double clutching)? Surely you're not talking about shifting without using the clutch at all?

I will double clutch sometimes if I need to get back into first while rolling. That usually doesn't happen with my six speed truck, but sometimes with the 4cyl 5speed.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:41 PM   #17
Wallygater is one of the sharper tools in the shedWallygater is one of the sharper tools in the shedWallygater is one of the sharper tools in the shedWallygater is one of the sharper tools in the shedWallygater is one of the sharper tools in the shedWallygater is one of the sharper tools in the shedWallygater is one of the sharper tools in the shedWallygater is one of the sharper tools in the shedWallygater is one of the sharper tools in the shedWallygater is one of the sharper tools in the shedWallygater is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard:
Wallygater's Tacoma Gallery
No
Old 01-26-2012, 07:45 PM   #18
pataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud of
pataco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdowell View Post
That's how I drove my Peterbuilt. Easier on clutch . Didn't have to use clutch
x2 on the Peterbilt
Old 01-26-2012, 07:50 PM   #19
rydaniels is on a distinguished road
Name: Ryan
rydaniels's Tacoma Gallery
i do it in my 5 speed....feels so much smoother when i do it...I hate when it "bucks" when the all the moving parts are trying to match up. when i make my turns... i am slowed enough to let the clutch out and have no issues...youtube taught me about rev matching....had to teach myself how to drive a manual when i bought my 2010 new