1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Which is better V6 Auto or Manual?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by scott12, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Jan 26, 2012 at 5:20 PM
    gainman

gainman Semper Fi

Member:
    SW Florida
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport Supercharged Manual
    Stuff
    the manual transmission adds 20hp.

2. Jan 26, 2012 at 5:24 PM
    anethema

anethema Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Dawson Creek,BC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OR Access cab 4x4
    ARB Bumper,OEM Roof rack modded for access cab, Allpro Rock Sliders,Icon Adjustable coilovers,More Tie Downs in bed, Firestone Airbags in rear,Block heater
    I drive the manual but my last 2nd gen tacoma was an auto.

The auto is nice, better milage, press and go etc. Easy and good.

Now I love my manual. Other than the throwout bearing issue I'm not sure how wide spread the other issues mentioned are. I've never even heard of some of them and others I've almost never seen mentioned.

The throwout bearing issue is now fixed afaik.

As far as auto vs manual depends what you're doing. A ton of highway driving? Get the auto for the better milage. Want to go with bigger tires without regearing? Manual generally handles that better. RelentlessTaco ran 35s without regearing on his manual and said it was great. They will also give you a bit better highway gearing.

If you spend a lot of time offroad I personally believe manuals are better for this. You have a lot more control, so with some extra learned skills you can handle a lot of stuff better than you can with an auto IMO.

You can rock more easily using clutch work. You can force the right gear to lower your torque to avoid breaking the wheels loose.

For expedition travel I like manuals better as well. If you smack your transmission pan in an auto and lose your ATF you're pushing your truck home :D Manuals can limp by slowly on small amounts of oil. Also manuals tend to fail in a slow and predictable manner. You also often only lose certain gears while others remain useful to you.

If I was buying a new vehicle though it would be a tough choice. All those positives for the manual I mentioned are nice, but boy it is sure nice to just slap it in gear and go sometimes! If you want the last drop of skill and performance out of your truck manual might be the way to go, but if you just drive around town or do lots of road trips with less offroading then maybe auto is the answer.

3. Jan 26, 2012 at 5:24 PM
    anethema

anethema Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Dawson Creek,BC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OR Access cab 4x4
    ARB Bumper,OEM Roof rack modded for access cab, Allpro Rock Sliders,Icon Adjustable coilovers,More Tie Downs in bed, Firestone Airbags in rear,Block heater

It might not but it sure feels that way!

4. Jan 26, 2012 at 5:29 PM
    Blueberry

Blueberry Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Newton, KS
    Vehicle:
    T/X Pro named Blueberry by my daughter
    Custom Roofrack, Satoshi, Ammo-can in bed, Hi-lift, 2 HID Hella 700's, 4 Automatcentral 7" Offroad Lamps, 2 Hella Work/Bed Lamps, "Derp'd" Radio and Shifter Console, Anytime Fog-light mod, Anytime Rearview Camera mod, DTRL mod, Awesome TW sticker mod.
    A manual transmission might save your truck from a retarded car thief. That is if you live in an area where that's a problem.

5. Jan 26, 2012 at 6:49 PM
    iroh

iroh Well-Known Member

Member:
    michigander
    Vehicle:
    07 AC SR5 2.7 5MT 4x4
    tonneau
    I suppose you could nose into a downhill parking spot and put a 5 speed knob on it, really tick them off trying to find reverse...

Manual feels like it adds 20 hp because the motor torques the frame like nobody's business every time you shift!

The auto feels refined, just smooth and simple. The manual feels ....like you do the second half of deer camp when you haven't shaved and need a shower really badly but can still be a crack shot when you head out into the woods.

6. Jan 26, 2012 at 7:00 PM
    TXpro4X4

TXpro4X4 Fuck Cancer!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TOY
    Toy Stuff..... Faktor Amber lights on in the grill. Under front bumper led rock lighting. Center counsel c.b mod with under the hood p.a. Anytime foglight mod. R.G.B tape light for inside toekick lighting. Front and back. Front weathertech floor mats. De-Baged except TOY on tailgate. FJ style 6 speed shifter knob. Rubber tacoma bed mat. Trd exhaust. Trd 16in beadlocker style wheels. Electrical a/c 115volt plug/usb mod next to passenger knee. Fox 2.5 coilovers. Icon 2.0's in the rear. Rear locker any-time mod. Abs kill switch mod. All Pro ISF front skid Pelfrey built front differential skid Baja design pro pods Rigid pods CBI pods brackets Mobtown tailgate guard RIP Mobtown Caliraised rear amber pod lights CJ Jumper- map, running, amber fog, reverse, and license plate led bulbs Pedal Commander
    I like my six speed. vroom vroom!

7. Jan 26, 2012 at 7:27 PM
    ManMan

ManMan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Personally I don't like the Taco's 6spd. It's sloppy and cheap feeling. I wasn't impressed.

That being said, the auto is a little funky at times too! But unless I'm mistaken, the gearing on the auto is going to give you a little better gas mileage and IMO is just a bit better suited to the engine in general.

8. Jan 26, 2012 at 7:30 PM
    newertoy

newertoy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    East Tn
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 extra cab
    2" lift AAL and Bilstiens-front-rear,front diff drop. main drive drop
    Do you want your girlfriend,wife ,or kids to drive it--Go with the auto--if you want it for YOUR TRUCK--get the manual!!!!

9. Jan 26, 2012 at 7:59 PM
    scott12

scott12 [OP] Member

Member:
    My wife is very against the manual and is trying to talk me out of it. This is going to be a tough call.

10. Jan 26, 2012 at 8:06 PM
    Faryota

Faryota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mic
    Ridgefield, WA.
    Vehicle:
    13, 4x4, long bed, Sport, Debad
    6" BDS lift in front, warn winch, AFE cold air intake & exhaust, Body Armor Rear bumper, Tuffy in bed storage box, DZ bed mat, ARB front bumper & Warn winch w/light kit, Husky floor mats, dash mat,
    IMO the auto is most likely better for most folks that are 4 wheeling, because there is some slippage, the mileage is nice too...but I like the stick...for me it just works!!!!

11. Jan 26, 2012 at 8:08 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    If you are planning on doing much towing, especially a heavy travel trailer, Auto is a better choice.

12. Jan 26, 2012 at 8:13 PM
    Lgs79

Lgs79 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luis
    Bay Point, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4 DC SB
    Had a 09 Silver, Prerunner, Auto, DC, LB for 2 years and was lovin it then decided to trade it for a 2011 Silver, 4x4, manual, DC, SB. Lovin it even more now.

13. Jan 26, 2012 at 8:24 PM
    Darth_Yota

Darth_Yota I intend to live forever, or die trying.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam-moron
    Somewhere USA
    Vehicle:
    Dented, broken-down ‘08 hoopty
    Ain’t good’nuff for insta
    I've driven both, manual is more fun. Speaking to the problems the manual has, I had a squeaky throwout bearing, Toyota was more than happy to fix it, and washed my truck while they were at it. The 2nd gen manuals are getting more and more scarce, and I bet you when time comes to sell your truck later down the road, coolness factor goes way up if it's got an old fashioned shifter. Plus every time I drive someone they say "where did you get a manual truck?" food for thought....

14. Jan 26, 2012 at 8:29 PM
    Moshenek

Moshenek Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Norfolk
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD DCSB
  15. Jan 26, 2012 at 8:33 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    I drove a manual for 14 years before buying my Tacoma , needed a DCLB and have to admit , originally was a little disappointed to not be able to get it stick .

That being said , I now love my auto , I can shift when I want to or not when I don't . I can still limit my gears for snow driving and engine brake , so I am happy .

16. Jan 26, 2012 at 8:39 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    I think the perception everybody has of the auto shifting 2 gears on grades in Cruise Control , is actually the torque converter unlocking in D , then it shifting to 4

17. Jan 26, 2012 at 9:07 PM
    Blueberry

Blueberry Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Newton, KS
    Vehicle:
    T/X Pro named Blueberry by my daughter
    Custom Roofrack, Satoshi, Ammo-can in bed, Hi-lift, 2 HID Hella 700's, 4 Automatcentral 7" Offroad Lamps, 2 Hella Work/Bed Lamps, "Derp'd" Radio and Shifter Console, Anytime Fog-light mod, Anytime Rearview Camera mod, DTRL mod, Awesome TW sticker mod.
    Exactly!

18. Jan 26, 2012 at 9:13 PM
    Foihdzas

Foihdzas VA7PTZ

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    B.C Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Dbl Cab 5' Box 6 Speed
    2010 Tacoma, sold...
    If I were to every buy a truck with an auto trans, it would be Toyota, I loved the auto I test drove. BUT I am a manual kind of guy, so I had to get the 6 speed. I have 29,000 km's on my 2010, and it is tight, and never had a problem. Off road, or on.

Products Discussed in

To Top