Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

TACOMA TRD OFF ROAD WHEEL LUGS NOT WORKING WITH FACTORY TIRE IRON???

Old 01-26-2012, 02:27 PM   #1
firefighteru7 is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
firefighteru7's Tacoma Gallery
TACOMA TRD OFF ROAD WHEEL LUGS NOT WORKING WITH FACTORY TIRE IRON???

So I got my new wheel locks today in the mail to put on my tacoma, i pulled out the tire iron and it didnt fit the lugs on the wheels! I even have a 13/16 socket on a breaker bar that used to work on my 1st gen tacoma when I had custom rims on that and it didnt work either. why do my lugs not work with the tire iron that the truck came with? anyone know the lugs size so I can get the correct size deep well socket and throw it on my break bar to take off the lugs? thanx...
Old 01-26-2012, 02:32 PM   #2
08TacoTrD will become famous soon enough
08TacoTrD's Tacoma Gallery
I am not sure but I think they are 21mm. The lugs have a metal cover on them which can become twisted and cause the lug wrench to not fit them. I actually had to replace four of them due to this. To get them off I had to hammer the lug wrench on three of them and the last one the cover came off so I had to find a smaller socket to get it off.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:35 PM   #3
Firefighter:
when i get my tires rotated they have no problem taking them off. look at this forum:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/61...ench-size.html

they say 13/16 is equal to 21mm? then why wont my 13/16 fit? and why would they put the wrong size tire iron? i need to just figure out the size to pick up the right deep well socket. its a pain in my butt finding this out!
Old 02-02-2012, 04:49 PM   #4
Firefighter:
I found the problem! the factory lugs are crap! they have chrome caps on the lugs to make them look nice, but they are crap. they get bent from tire rotations, i ordered forged ones from ebay and they are one piece forged with no stupid chrome caps, solid steel and work with the tire iron that came with the truck!
Old 02-03-2012, 10:05 AM   #6
Firefighter:
this is what i got, got 24 for $24 shipped, way worth it!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400252597627...#ht_5212wt_952
Old 02-23-2013, 07:18 AM   #7
Sparky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Drew
Sparky73's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighteru7 View Post
this is what i got, got 24 for $24 shipped, way worth it!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400252597627...#ht_5212wt_952
Sorry so late but the lug nuts you bought from the link above are for steel wheels (i.e stock wheels), not the aluminum "offroad" wheels on your truck. The proper lug nuts for your aluminum wheels have a conical seat and no washer. You can verify this with your service department.

The conical seat fits into the lug hole on your wheel and prevents it from shifting around. The purpose of retorquing lugs on aluminum wheels after 25 miles is to ensure all 6 lugs are properly seated in the wheels. With your washered lug nuts, your wheel will continuously shift around on the hub, banging against the lug bolts, while driving.

Best case, you damage your wheels by using the wrong type of lug nut. Worst case, you lose a lug nut(s) or shear off a lug bolt(s) on the road. I highly recommend you replace them immediately.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:21 AM   #8
Airun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
Airun's Tacoma Gallery
yeah gotta make sure wheels and lugs are compatible. most aftermarket wheels should come with specific nuts. My DC2s use 19mm. Those ebay nuts look like the ones for our Sequoia.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:25 AM   #9
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky73 View Post
Sorry so late but the lug nuts you bought from the link above are for steel wheels (i.e stock wheels), not the aluminum "offroad" wheels on your truck. The proper lug nuts for your aluminum wheels have a conical seat and no washer. You can verify this with your service department.

The conical seat fits into the lug hole on your wheel and prevents it from shifting around. The purpose of retorquing lugs on aluminum wheels after 25 miles is to ensure all 6 lugs are properly seated in the wheels. With your washered lug nuts, your wheel will continuously shift around on the hub, banging against the lug bolts, while driving.

Best case, you damage your wheels by using the wrong type of lug nut. Worst case, you lose a lug nut(s) or shear off a lug bolt(s) on the road. I highly recommend you replace them immediately.
I'm pretty sure I understand this post correctly and I'm pretty sure it's wrong. You're saying to use a tapered lug nut on stock alloy wheels? Incorrect. Tapered for a steel wheel. The pictured lug nuts on ebay are for alloy wheels.

Same type stock alloy wheels come with on all tacomas.