1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear View Mirror - Super Glue or Mirror Glue?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by dalesrn, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Jan 26, 2012 at 6:05 PM
    dalesrn

dalesrn [OP] Tacoma TSS

Member:
    First Name:
    Dale
    Southeast Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma PreRunner DC with TSS Package
    Borla exhaust system, Sirius Satellite Radio, Chrome package, Trailer Hitch, Clazzio Leather seat covers, TSS badging, Anytime on fog lights mod, Daytime driving lights mod, Dual backseat DVD players w/monitors, 3rd Brake Light "TSS" mod, Bed pocket lights mod, Seat belt chime mod, Bed storage compartment auxillary outlet mod, Shorty antenna, Armor Lid Tonneau Cover, Line of Fire tailgate light
    My rear view mirror fell off today. Should I use super glue, gorilla glue, or the special glue made for rear view mirrors? Any Difference? Logic would say to use the rear view mirror glue, but has anyone had positive experiences with using other glues?

2. Jan 26, 2012 at 6:09 PM
    zachc113

zachc113 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Are we talking the mirror in your cab? How did it come off?

3. Jan 26, 2012 at 6:11 PM
    Foihdzas

Foihdzas VA7PTZ

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    B.C Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Dbl Cab 5' Box 6 Speed
    2010 Tacoma, sold...

4. Jan 26, 2012 at 6:14 PM
    dalesrn

dalesrn [OP] Tacoma TSS

Member:
    First Name:
    Dale
    Southeast Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma PreRunner DC with TSS Package
    Borla exhaust system, Sirius Satellite Radio, Chrome package, Trailer Hitch, Clazzio Leather seat covers, TSS badging, Anytime on fog lights mod, Daytime driving lights mod, Dual backseat DVD players w/monitors, 3rd Brake Light "TSS" mod, Bed pocket lights mod, Seat belt chime mod, Bed storage compartment auxillary outlet mod, Shorty antenna, Armor Lid Tonneau Cover, Line of Fire tailgate light
    Yes. The mirror on the windshield. I had the windshield replaced about 2 years ago, and I am figuring that the guy who transferred my mirror did not use a strong enough glue, or did not put enough. The entire thing fell off.

5. Jan 26, 2012 at 6:28 PM
    Leer

Leer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Hilo HI
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma 4x4
    Use glue made to hold the mirror on the windshield.

Make sure you scrape any remaining glue off of the window and the metal peice that sticks to the windshield. Remove that metal peice from the rest of the mirror, there should be a alan head screw locking it in place.

Once the metal peice is removed and the old dried glue is scraped off, apply the mirro glue to the metal piece. Don't use to much as it will run down your windshield AND it is best to do it at night while the windshield is cool and the is no direct sunlight on it.

Let the metal peice dry in place for as long as directed, atleast till the next day then go ahead and slide to mirror back on and lock it in place wit the screw.

EDIT: I never actually checked if our mirrors are locked in place with an alan head screw but that's how most are held in place. I'll take a look next time I get into my truck!

Products Discussed in

To Top