1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

A Wild Ride in my Tacoma

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by bethes, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Jan 28, 2012 at 4:31 AM
    bethes

bethes [OP] Señorita Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Beth
    Tulsa/Sand Springs, OK
    Vehicle:
    2011 V6 TRD Off Road
    Last night a snowstorm came up while I was driving. Wasn't a big storm, wasn't even below freezing. This is the first time I've ever driven a rear-wheel drive in the snow, and I slowed down but forgot to turn on my 4WD. All of a sudden the snow picked up and I couldn't see 10 ft in front of my truck, hit a patch of ice, started to spin. I managed to pull it out of the spin but not in enough time to avoid going across the oncoming lane (no one coming, luckily), and down into a little ravine by the side of the road, maybe 20' deep. Geez. That was scary! I thought I might roll my truck but managed to steer it straight down the hill instead of going sideways. Whew! What luck!

And how awesome is the Tacoma? Put it in 4WD and it climbed out of the ravine and back onto the road like it was nothing.

Just posted this as a reminder to slow it down out there, use all your good winter driving habits and be extra careful if you have to go out in a storm. And keep your emergency supplies in your vehicle. Stay safe out there!

2. Jan 28, 2012 at 4:38 AM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Bethel Park, PA. Burb of da Burgh.
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM Mostly Stock Off-Road 4x4
    TRD Cat-back Exhaust. Semi-Debadged. Trimmed down stock Antenna. Weathertech vent visors. TRD FJ Cruiser Center Cap Wheel Mod. 265/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T,s . Inverter tapped into for outlet in cab. Tacomaworld sticker which adds 5 hp.
    :rolleyes: Woman drivers! J/K J/K! :p Glad you made it out ok!

3. Jan 28, 2012 at 4:44 AM
    bethes

Member:
    First Name:
    Beth
    Tulsa/Sand Springs, OK
    Vehicle:
    2011 V6 TRD Off Road
    Lol I knew someone would say that!! Haha :D

I'll say I've been in many stupid and ridiculous situations in my Tacoma, but this is the first stupid situation where I was driving. It's always been men and their testosterone issues that have gotten my truck into trouble before! :D LOL

4. Jan 28, 2012 at 4:59 AM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    TRD Cat-back Exhaust. Semi-Debadged. Trimmed down stock Antenna. Weathertech vent visors. TRD FJ Cruiser Center Cap Wheel Mod. 265/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T,s . Inverter tapped into for outlet in cab. Tacomaworld sticker which adds 5 hp.
    LOL, You probably distracted them with your feminine wiles.;)

5. Jan 28, 2012 at 5:28 AM
    johneman

johneman Life is good relaxin' on the porch!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Warwick,Bucks PA
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD OR Magnetic Gray
    Go Rhino Dominator D1 step, Extang Encore Tonneau.
    Glad you made it out of a touchy situation okay...gotta remember in weather like that you can switch to 4 wheel while still driving (unless your doing more than 65)...be safe...Ken

6. Jan 28, 2012 at 5:32 AM
    jw1983

jw1983 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    13' Tacoma Access 4x4 OR
    This post can't be true without video lol...jk

It's my first winter with a RWD truck and it's a learning curve. It's going to take time to get use to and what not. Just be careful out there. Go into a parking lot and get use to how the truck handles. It's better to be over prepared then under prepared.

7. Jan 28, 2012 at 5:34 AM
    rbeezy

rbeezy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma SR5
    count your blessings... glad you're ok!

8. Jan 28, 2012 at 5:41 AM
    WV150

WV150 Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Carolina
    Trifecta Tonneau Cover
    I wish their was a option where the transfer case had neutral-2wd-4wd-awd.AWd is nice when the road is patchy with snow just here and there.

9. Jan 28, 2012 at 5:57 AM
    bethes

Member:
    First Name:
    Beth
    Tulsa/Sand Springs, OK
    Vehicle:
    2011 V6 TRD Off Road
    I don't understand the difference between 4WD and AWD. Can someone enlighten me?

10. Jan 28, 2012 at 6:17 AM
    Fortech

Fortech Well-Known Member

Member:
    CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
    Bilstein 5100's, rear TSB, Firestone bags
    If you don't have dedicated winter tires and your area suffers a typical North America winter - get them. They are miles ahead of a normally rated all season tire.

11. Jan 28, 2012 at 6:22 AM
    bethes

Member:
    First Name:
    Beth
    Tulsa/Sand Springs, OK
    Vehicle:
    2011 V6 TRD Off Road
    Thanks for the tip. I spent 12 years in Oklahoma and now it's my first winter in North Dakota... Little learning curve about my truck. Block heaters and tire chains, etc. I didn't even own an ice scraper when I moved up here!

12. Jan 28, 2012 at 6:33 AM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    Someone more knowledgeable, could probably tell you more about this, But basically it has to do with the transfer case and the uses of the vehicle.

The transfer case in the Tacoma is designed for off-road and a need for more power situations, for lack of better words, as in most pick up trucks. 4WD is only part time because you can not use it on dry pavement, well atleast you shouldn't, because you will have binding on turns, which in turn can cause damage to the 4WD system. Also if there is any difference in tire wear, which will cause one tire to go faster down the road than the other, can blow out a transfer case. You can look up pics of that I'm sure. It's rare but it can happen.

AWD on the other hand has a differential built into the transfer case, so that it can be able to be used all the time on any condition, without any binding. Also most "AWD" vehicles, are not really AWD anymore. Its mostly controlled by computers now, and the AWD is normally 2WD all the time and kicks in the wheel that has traction when needed.

Hope I explained that well enough. That has always been my understanding on it.

13. Jan 28, 2012 at 6:58 AM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    Amen! We don't get snow very often here in GA but when we do I feel pretty confident of handling myself driving in it. It's the other drivers that make me want to stay off the roads. EVERY time I get out in it, it never fails that some jack a$$ wants to ride my but. Yeah maybe I drive too slow in it :notsure: but I'm being safe unlike someone right up on a back bumper in slick conditions as to say your too slow! :mad: I don't know if it is people from here that think they know how to drive in it better or if it is some northern transplants trying to show out? Either way the top 2 things driving in the snow are slow down and give plenty of room. At least that is my opinion, Anyone that drives in it regularly feel free to chime in. I know all the northerners like to make fun, but hey we only get a snow maybe once every 2-3 years and only about 1-2 inches typically. Even then it tends to be more ice than snow.

14. Jan 28, 2012 at 7:17 AM
    myname150

myname150 Well-Known Member

Member:
    :thumbsup:

He got it exactly. Part-Time 4WD is what we have. It is only engaged when you
    switch it on and should not be used on dry pavement. Full Time 4WD/AWD is on all the time, but like he said most cars are 2WD drive until the car's computer detects loss of traction and then engages the other wheels.

15. Jan 28, 2012 at 7:54 AM
    WV150

WV150 Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Carolina
    Trifecta Tonneau Cover
    You explained it very well.I will add that AWD would not be good for those who give their truck rough treatment.It is not nearly as tough and that is probabally why you can not get it in a Tacoma.As far as I know the only truck you can get it in is a government motors silverado.I don't think I have to mention the quality difference between Toyota and Government motors.

16. Jan 28, 2012 at 8:25 AM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    :thumbsup:
    LOL, Government motors. Ya I left out weaker Transfer case. Thanks!

17. Jan 28, 2012 at 9:13 AM
    Utard

Utard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Nyssa, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC LB 4WD TRD SPORT NAVI
    ------------------------------------------------------------ Stabilus.EZDown.Tailgate http://www.ezdown.com/home.php ----------------------------------------------- Tekonsha.Primus.IQ.Trailer.brake http://www.tekonsha.com/content/default.aspx---------------------------------------------------------------- Leer 180 CC http://www.leer.com/Truck-Caps#------------------------------------------------ Firestone Air Rite Air Bags--------------------------------------Kargomaster Rack
    Does your taco have traction control? My 2012 is the first vehicle I have had with traction control so I do not have much experience with it. But I have noticed it seems when I am driving in the snow it seems to drive better to turn off the traction control and have the auto LSD on. But that only works in 2WD. In 4WD there is no auto LSD. Is it just me or has anyone else noticed the lsd is better than the trac with 2wd in the snow?

18. Jan 28, 2012 at 9:43 AM
    Graham

Graham Pay it Forward

Member:
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    2005 4x4 TRD Black V6 6 speed manual
    I have been driving in the winters up North all of my life. Here are my thoughts which mirror some of the good advice above:

- Get good all season tires for a Tacoma all the way around that are rated excellent in the snow. I have Firestone Destination AT and they have been excellent for me. Check out tirerack.com for tire recommendations/pricing/customer ratings in all conditions and written reviews

- Put some weight in the bed of the truck over the axles. The truck is light in the back and reacts poorly in slop without some weight. I put in 3 60 lb tube bags of sand in October every year and leave it there till April. It gives me peace of mind and better stability whether I in 4 wheel drive or not.

- If the road has snow on it, use 4 wheel drive. You have it in your truck for a reason so why not use.

- Get to a parking lot the next time it snows and practice putting your truck into spins and regaining control. RWD reacts differently and you will need to know how to react next time you are "live" on the road in snow.

- Speed is the enemy in snow. Let the yeehaa's drive fast and out of control. My thinking is I want to get there when the roads are bad not get there quick. Slow down and coupled with my above observations you will be fine.

This is a video for Utah recently where folks had no clue how to drive in snow:

http://www.wimp.com/drivecarefully/

19. Jan 28, 2012 at 11:29 AM
    WV150

WV150 Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Carolina
    Trifecta Tonneau Cover
    Take this guys advice.He knows what he is talking about.Speed is your enemy.At least most of ND don't have a lot of mountains.

20. Jan 28, 2012 at 11:38 AM
    myname150

myname150 Well-Known Member

Member:
    As far as I know the FJ Cruiser has AWD/Full-Time 4x4 when it has the 6 speed manual. 5 Speed gets Part Time.

But the manual FJ's in my area are rare :(

Products Discussed in

To Top