Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Silverstar ZXE bulbs. Let there be Light!

Old 01-28-2012, 07:21 AM   #1
whiterabbit2u will become famous soon enough
Army: SFC, Allied Trades Instructor
Name: Mike
whiterabbit2u's Tacoma Gallery
Silverstar ZXE bulbs. Let there be Light!

Don't know if it's been said here but they are "DA' BOMB"!
My 06 had a case of "pink eye". The drivers side bulb was pinkish, and dim. I've had excellent results with the Silverstar Ultra H4 in my motorcycles and the wife's Fiat Spider with E code housings, so I splurged and got the ZXEs for the truck. Really white, just a tinge of blue, very crisp light. Highly impressed. Will be great for road trips in the mountains of east Tn!
Oh, big thumbs up for Meguries headlight restoration kit. Removed the little bit of oxidation from the lens and they look like new on the Tacoma and my 97 F150. Big thumbs up!
Old 01-28-2012, 07:37 AM   #2
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
I got them as well, love them..next up is the fog lights
Old 01-28-2012, 07:42 AM   #3
Icepuck72 is just really niceIcepuck72 is just really niceIcepuck72 is just really niceIcepuck72 is just really nice

Firefighter:
Name: Mark
Icepuck72's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterabbit2u View Post
Don't know if it's been said here but they are "DA' BOMB"!
My 06 had a case of "pink eye". The drivers side bulb was pinkish, and dim. I've had excellent results with the Silverstar Ultra H4 in my motorcycles and the wife's Fiat Spider with E code housings, so I splurged and got the ZXEs for the truck. Really white, just a tinge of blue, very crisp light. Highly impressed. Will be great for road trips in the mountains of east Tn!
Oh, big thumbs up for Meguries headlight restoration kit. Removed the little bit of oxidation from the lens and they look like new on the Tacoma and my 97 F150. Big thumbs up!
So you like????

I need to replace my stock lights. Too dingy.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:44 AM   #4
If you like to see at night they are great! Don't waste your money on the no name cheap "blue" crap bulbs. These bulbs are nice. I'm a tightwad and I think it was money well spent. You'd swear they they were HID.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:58 AM   #5
DaWillDaBeast is one of the sharper tools in the shedDaWillDaBeast is one of the sharper tools in the shedDaWillDaBeast is one of the sharper tools in the shedDaWillDaBeast is one of the sharper tools in the shedDaWillDaBeast is one of the sharper tools in the shedDaWillDaBeast is one of the sharper tools in the shedDaWillDaBeast is one of the sharper tools in the shedDaWillDaBeast is one of the sharper tools in the shedDaWillDaBeast is one of the sharper tools in the shedDaWillDaBeast is one of the sharper tools in the shedDaWillDaBeast is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
DaWillDaBeast's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
If you like to see at night they are great! Don't waste your money on the no name cheap "blue" crap bulbs. These bulbs are nice. I'm a tightwad and I think it was money well spent. You'd swear they they were HID.
Why not just get hid's for a few bucks more and then you can swear they are HID's
Old 01-28-2012, 09:37 AM   #6
"few bucks more" for same results? No thank you.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:48 AM   #7
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Are those the ones rated at 1 year of use ?
Old 01-28-2012, 09:51 AM   #8
DaWillDaBeast is one of the sharper tools in the shedDaWillDaBeast is one of the sharper tools in the shedDaWillDaBeast is one of the sharper tools in the shedDaWillDaBeast is one of the sharper tools in the shedDaWillDaBeast is one of the sharper tools in the shedDaWillDaBeast is one of the sharper tools in the shedDaWillDaBeast is one of the sharper tools in the shedDaWillDaBeast is one of the sharper tools in the shedDaWillDaBeast is one of the sharper tools in the shedDaWillDaBeast is one of the sharper tools in the shedDaWillDaBeast is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
"few bucks more" for same results? No thank you.
They may be bright but I highly doubt they are as bright as HID's. Plus when one of your bulbs burn out you are paying $60 for a new set vs $15 or $20 for new HID bulbs.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:56 AM   #9
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaWillDaBeast View Post
They may be bright but I highly doubt they are as bright as HID's. Plus when one of your bulbs burn out you are paying $60 for a new set vs $15 or $20 for new HID bulbs.
The silverstars are $35.99 at amazon . I may try them but Im actually ok with a stock new tacomas output aswell .
Old 01-28-2012, 10:03 AM   #10
They're name brand, had great results with all their products,cost is reasonable, don't overheat your housings or pull excessive amps like HIDs,if it does burn out while out in BFE all the auto parts stores carry them,etc,etc,etc.
1 year? I've only had them in the truck for a few days. Ask the Mfg?
Besides, the world will end in Dec 2012! I'll worry bout it afterwards.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:06 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelo760 View Post
The silverstars are $35.99 at amazon . I may try them but Im actually ok with a stock new tacomas output aswell .
Got ya, I was just going by the local parts store price. If y'all like them then by all means get them, your truck your money. I just think that for the money the DDM HID kits are the way to go.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:10 AM   #12
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
From what I seen they have a 1 year warranty . Some people have them burn out well before one year but I hear if you keep your reciept and send a copy back with the burnt out bulb within a year they will send you a new set .
Old 01-28-2012, 02:29 PM   #13
matts11 will become famous soon enoughmatts11 will become famous soon enough
matts11's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Got ya, I was just going by the local parts store price. If y'all like them then by all means get them, your truck your money. I just think that for the money the DDM HID kits are the way to go.
Completely ignoring the HID in a reflector housing argument, I am skittish about DDM HIDs as the bulbs can put out too much uv. Our headlights are UV treated on the outside for sunlight but not the inside. So over time an HID bulb can ruin the inside of the lens. The more expensive kits out there come with bulbs that have properly uv treated glass on the bulb. DDM makes no claims and does not represent that their bulbs are properly uv treated. And I don't get any warm feelings about the reliability of the motors in the cheap Chinese bixenon bulbs that they sell with the kits. So when compared to the cost of doing a retrofit and getting a good kit with properly uv treated high quality bulbs is less appealing. BTW, I have the ZXE bulbs and agree they are great. But, I don't think they are as good as the Philips Xtreme bulbs that are a bit cheaper on amazon.
Old 01-28-2012, 02:38 PM   #14
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yea. I guess it's easy to say it's the same result for someone who hasn't had HID's before. They're really not remotely close in brightness in reality.

As far as excessive amps, except for when the ballasts initially fire up, they use less power than a normal halogen bulb would.

However, it would be substantially more than a few bucks to do HID's properly, not to start that argument.
Old 01-28-2012, 04:31 PM   #15
Yea, HIDs are nice if done right. I actually like the LED headlights, but high quality ones are Major Coin! All the Military vehicles are going to them and they can take a beating. Crisp white light.
Run whatever headlight ya' want from thousand dollar setups to a couple of jack-o-lanterns with candles zip tied to the grill. Just that so far I've not been let down with this mfg. and these bulbs. "Your mileage may vary" LOL!
Old 01-28-2012, 04:36 PM   #16
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
My bad the zxe bulbs are $60 or so . Was looking at the ultra .
Old 01-28-2012, 05:09 PM   #17
Icepuck72 is just really niceIcepuck72 is just really niceIcepuck72 is just really niceIcepuck72 is just really nice

Firefighter:
Name: Mark
Icepuck72's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yea, HIDs are nice if done right. I actually like the LED headlights, but high quality ones are Major Coin! All the Military vehicles are going to them and they can take a beating. Crisp white light.
Run whatever headlight ya' want from thousand dollar setups to a couple of jack-o-lanterns with candles zip tied to the grill. Just that so far I've not been let down with this mfg. and these bulbs. "Your mileage may vary" LOL!
where are you seeing LED headlights?
Old 01-28-2012, 05:15 PM   #18
johnanm will become famous soon enough

Air Force: Pilot
johnanm's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelo760 View Post
From what I seen they have a 1 year warranty . Some people have them burn out well before one year but I hear if you keep your reciept and send a copy back with the burnt out bulb within a year they will send you a new set .
I have the ZXEs also. Kept my box and receipt for them in case they don't last 12 months. They are great bulbs, give off a bright and clean white light, and the difference in light saturation is worth a few extra dollars per year to me.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:26 PM   #19
ระดับอาวุโส สมาชิกอาวุโส
dYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dyl0n
dYL0n's Tacoma Gallery
I've had my experiences with H4 HID sets. Here what I found out. The stock H4 bulbs are designed to use the upper half of the reflector housing. Which is why they're shielded and the fillamint is located in a perfect spot. The H4 HID bulb, it's shielded, but the arc is slightly off, causing MAJOR light scatter. I went with a D2R bulb (made for reflectors) and a D2R to H4 converter. It has a huge shield on it. The light beam is exactly like stock, but with a HID bulb. In other words, no light scatter and it's true HID. If you're doing HIDs, do it right. Not a cheap kit. My set up had a denso ballast from a Lexus, and brand new Phillip bulbs. If you're upgrading your lights to "look hid", ok cool it won't scatter light.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:16 PM   #20
The LED headlights? MRAPs,LMTVs,FMTVs,PLSs,HEMTT,ASVs,HMMWVs,etc,etc..
They are sitting in front of my office, or I'm sitting in them.
They're 24v but the mfg also makes them in 12v.
If you want to see them just swing by the nearest recruiters office. LOL!