Save the money and buy stock in Apple 25 8.06%
Voters: 310. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-08-2015, 03:51 AM   #281
Road LessTraveled is on a distinguished road

Road LessTraveled's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyProof View Post
meh..

want to do extreme trails..get a rock crawler!

worried about rubbing, scratches, dings, dents, sheet metal? get a rock crawler!

want something for looks? get an actual Long Travel Kit..there are several great options out there to choose from..i bet there are not too many LT taco's in your neck of the woods and would end up being a rare and exotic, people drool over that stuff!!

just from my experience with being on the trail with DB equipped taco's...there is no ground clearance in the front! the drop bracket gets hung up on rocks or whatever..then they have to get strapped or pulled out with a winch slowing the progression of the whole trip on the trail.

i have taking my taco to the limit and beyond, and now paying for it.. from cracks in the frame, cracks in cross members, cracks in wheels, broken rear ends, smashed exhaust and drive shafts... etc ect ect... all due to the fact that i wanted to do the more extreme trails, i should have bought a rockcrawler from the very beginning!..

not a single DB lift that is able to take this line!

no DB lifted truck will be able to get through here without getting hung up!

wont be able to make this section either with out a strap!

look at all that ground clearance, LOOK AT IT!..... don't be jealous!

Apples and oranges comparison here. 2WD's like yours have more ground clearance then 4WD's without a doubt. A DB lifted on 35's is pretty equal to a 3" lift on 33's as far as front ground clearance goes. Check out white2010taco's truck. That has a ton of clearance. If only there was a way to engineer 4WD's CV's and drivetrain so that they could achieve just as much clearance.
Old 03-08-2015, 08:31 AM   #282
n0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: USDI BLM
Name: J.W.
n0rth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road LessTraveled View Post
Apples and oranges comparison here. 2WD's like yours have more ground clearance then 4WD's without a doubt. A DB lifted on 35's is pretty equal to a 3" lift on 33's as far as front ground clearance goes. Check out white2010taco's truck. That has a ton of clearance. If only there was a way to engineer 4WD's CV's and drivetrain so that they could achieve just as much clearance.
Monkeyproof's truck is 4WD LT.
Old 03-08-2015, 02:25 PM   #283
Road LessTraveled is on a distinguished road

Road LessTraveled's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you for the clarification N0rth. With that much clearance in the front, my eyes fooled me thinking it had to be a 2WD. I was told from Wheelers Offroad to stay away from Long Travel for doing any kind of serious offroad like Monkeyproof is doing. That LT is just meant for desert racing applications.

Monkeyproof, how does your truck handle compared to other Tacomas with 3" mid-travel shocks that most members would suggest having on these rock climbing trails?