Voters: 310. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-28-2012, 04:50 PM   #41
nomaxpi is on a distinguished road
nomaxpi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianTaco View Post
18's on 33's
Thanks Indian!! Sweet ride!

How does it drive on the highway with the 6" kit?? What's making you want to go with the 3" kit instead??
Old 01-28-2012, 04:51 PM   #42
Dustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Dustyroades's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomaxpi View Post
Have you ever driven a vehicle with a 4cyl engine that has 20" wheels??

I have, and it did work out so well for the dumbass that owned it. The wheels looked nice though
I think you have no idea what you're talking about. For a tire of given outer diameter, the wheel size makes a very small difference to the overall weight of the tire/wheel combination.
Old 01-28-2012, 04:53 PM   #43
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustyroades View Post
I think you have no idea what you're talking about. For a tire of given outer diameter, the wheel size makes a very small difference to the overall weight of the tire/wheel combination.
This.
Old 01-28-2012, 04:53 PM   #44
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
x2 on both. Plenty of trucks out there with 22-R/22-RE engines pushing around 37+ inch tires. 5.29 gears can accomplish surprising things, even with a 4cyl showing less than 100hp at the crank.

The basic questions being asked and the non-sensical responses have my BS meter ticking...
Old 01-28-2012, 04:54 PM   #45
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You obviously have a limited amount hours lifting vehicles. Drop brackets alone are not the only way to lift a 4x4. And the body lift is just "part" of the lift. Just a body kit by itself would be ... well stupid.

A drop bracket is the only way to lift a 2nd gen 4x4 6"+. There's also SAS as mentioned, but I highly doubt you have the know how on how to make that conversion, since you think using a body lift is "doing it right" for "extreme" offroading....

Noobs
Old 01-28-2012, 04:54 PM   #46
nomaxpi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06tacomakev View Post
OP,

People have tried to steer you in the right direction and you are not getting the answers you want.
It sounds like your mind is made up about the wheels so just do what your first intention was and see how it works out
No, I haven't made up my mind at all. That's why I asked in the first place. I just don't need opinions on "HOW" I should do a 3" or 6" lift. I can handle that part. Please go back to my original post, I asked specifically about those configurations and rubbing concerns and how others that had those configurations felt with highway conditions. That's all
Old 01-28-2012, 04:54 PM   #47
Alaskan Assassin
907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bobby
907taco's Tacoma Gallery
3" lift with 33's would be a better choice like others stated. x1000 on not getting 20" wheels especially if you plan on wheeling, but its your truck do what you want but you will get flamed if you ask for opinions especially from people who do wheel and have the most ideal set ups that work re: 16", 17" wheels are better for obvious reasons, more rubber equals more traction, able to air down more etc..... if you do get the 20" wheels and do go wheeling and find out they may look good (to you) but they will suck for wheeling, you cant say that you were not told. I have a 3" lift, 285 70 17 km2's. i had to trim my plastic, pinch weld mod, and cab mount chop to get rid of any rub at all positions. below are pics of a simple ditch i used to gauge how much i had to trim, kept trimming until all the rub was gone. i was able to position the truck at all angles until uptravel and downtravel maxed out and trimmed away in the front.

Old 01-28-2012, 05:01 PM   #48
Cheese Head.
TheGrinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrinch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
TheGrinch's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to TheGrinch
Not to be mean, but u should really research some of the things you try and talk about. Most everyone here is saying the right things. IMO I say 3 inch with 33s. On 16s. I have 17s an wish I had 16s. And for the extreme offroading, j Andrews is right. Stop trying to tell every one how they are wrong
Old 01-28-2012, 05:03 PM   #49
Banned
IndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
IndianTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks Indian!! Sweet ride!

How does it drive on the highway with the 6" kit?? What's making you want to go with the 3" kit instead??
it handles close to stock. i wanna go with a 3" to get my ground clearance back from the dropbracket. but that wont happen for a year or so. ive had the 6" kit on now for 87k and no real problems
Old 01-28-2012, 05:08 PM   #50
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Go the max. Yo.

Dude. U choose u be happy.

Pick want what. That. 'sup.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:11 PM   #51
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
My first thought when reading this.. if you plan on doing moderate trails with your Taco and are prepared for the body damage.. trimming your fenders seems like the last thing you would be worried about.
I think the disconnect is that there's some *bullshit* running around in here somewhere. Not exactly sure where. Not really that concerned.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:11 PM   #52
nomaxpi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Did I say anything about the weight of the wheel or the tire/wheel combo?? I was referring to the gears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
x2 on both. Plenty of trucks out there with 22-R/22-RE engines pushing around 37+ inch tires. 5.29 gears can accomplish surprising things, even with a 4cyl showing less than 100hp at the crank.

The basic questions being asked and the non-sensical responses have my BS meter ticking...
I am aware that there are 4cyl engines that can do 20" wheels just fine with the proper ratio, there's just not that many doing it and I personally wouldn't do it. It would be way more cost effective to just buy a 6cyl.

Can I stop being hounded about bullshit that has ZERO to do with my original questions?? Troll elsewhere as I don't need opinions about shit I didn't ask about. Thanks
Old 01-28-2012, 05:12 PM   #53
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
My first thought when reading this.. if you plan on doing moderate trails with your Taco and are prepared for the body damage.. trimming your fenders seems like the last thing you would be worried about.
Keep in mind, this is the same guy who wants to use a body lift for extreme offroading
Old 01-28-2012, 05:12 PM   #54
Cheese Head.
TheGrinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrinch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
TheGrinch's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to TheGrinch
Quote:
Right?
Old 01-28-2012, 05:14 PM   #55
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Seriously, check out what this guy's done.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-video-hd.html

I bet it has a lot in common with what you're looking for.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:16 PM   #56

Quote:
Can I stop being hounded about bullshit that has ZERO to do with my original questions??
Sure. Here:

Quote:
My concerns are stretching the factory suspension w/ 3" lift and having a less quality driving experience on the highway.
You should regularly stretch your suspension before activity to minimize the chance of injury.

Quote:
I'm also worries about the fender well with 33" tires. Anyone have experience with this combo and wish they would have gone with the 6" lift instead??
You are right to be worries. If you flex your suspension (such as during extreme offroading), you will almost certainly rub your tires against the fenderwell, frame, possibly the upper control arm.

As far as 6" vs 3", most people I know go from 6 down to 3 to reap the benefits of the 3". They just trim their fenders a bit.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:16 PM   #57
nomaxpi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 907taco View Post
3" lift with 33's would be a better choice like others stated. x1000 on not getting 20" wheels especially if you plan on wheeling, but its your truck do what you want but you will get flamed if you ask for opinions especially from people who do wheel and have the most ideal set ups that work re: 16", 17" wheels are better for obvious reasons, more rubber equals more traction, able to air down more etc..... if you do get the 20" wheels and do go wheeling and find out they may look good (to you) but they will suck for wheeling, you cant say that you were not told. I have a 3" lift, 285 70 17 km2's. i had to trim my plastic, pinch weld mod, and cab mount chop to get rid of any rub at all positions. below are pics of a simple ditch i used to gauge how much i had to trim, kept trimming until all the rub was gone. i was able to position the truck at all angles until uptravel and downtravel maxed out and trimmed away in the front.
Thanks for the pics 907! I've said that i'm probably going with 18's or 17's, so now i'm just looking at which tires I should go with.

How much did you end up having to trim with the 285 70's??
Old 01-28-2012, 05:24 PM   #58
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
35s on 3" with 22s

33s will rub on 3" with no trimming.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:24 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxamillion2345 View Post
35s on 3" with 22s
And don't bother trimming. Just stuff the fuckers.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:27 PM   #60
Alaskan Assassin
907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bobby
907taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks for the pics 907! I've said that i'm probably going with 18's or 17's, so now i'm just looking at which tires I should go with.

How much did you end up having to trim with the 285 70's??
had to ditch the mud flaps, standard cab mount, re tested, had to do the pinch weld mod, easy to do. unless you get a CBI, relentress, arb, etc........ front plastics on fender liner need to be trimmed. I can take pics of the pinch weld later if you need to see them.