3" Lift w/ 33" Tires 232 74.84%
6" Lift w/ 35" Tires 53 17.10%
Save the money and buy stock in Apple 25 8.06%
Voters: 310. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-28-2012, 12:31 PM   #1
nomaxpi is on a distinguished road
nomaxpi's Tacoma Gallery
3" lift w/ 33" tires or 6" lift w/ 35" tires

In 2 or 3 weeks I will be installing either a 3" lift with 33" tires OR a 6" lift with 35" tires. (Wheels will be 20" BTW ).

My concerns are stretching the factory suspension w/ 3" lift and having a less quality driving experience on the highway. I'm also worries about the fender well with 33" tires. Anyone have experience with this combo and wish they would have gone with the 6" lift instead??

Pics would be great as well. I have seen many with both lifts, but it's kinda hard to determine what size tires that are on some of them.

This is going on my shiny new 2012 Taco Double Cab, v6, 4x4, TRD Off-Road BTW.

Thanks!
Old 01-28-2012, 12:35 PM   #3
Stop staring at me swan!
tacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tacoman15's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konaborne View Post
do you plan on offroading?
And do you plan on having 20's with a 33" tire?
Old 01-28-2012, 12:36 PM   #4
nomaxpi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
do you plan on offroading?
Absolutly lol, should have mentioned that. Extreme off road action will be done. Mostly mud and rock.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:37 PM   #6
nomaxpi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoman15 View Post
And do you plan on having 20's with a 33" tire?
I didn't, due to the fact that there would be a huge gap in the well. I think it would look quite silly IMO, but that's just me.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:40 PM   #7
Stop staring at me swan!
tacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tacoman15's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomaxpi View Post
Absolutly lol, should have mentioned that. Extreme off road action will be done. Mostly mud and rock.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manwithoutaplan View Post
do 33inch 3inch lift better preformance.
Quote:
I didn't, due to the fact that there would be a huge gap in the well. I think it would look quite silly IMO, but that's just me.
Then you should definitely go with the 3 inch lift on 33 inch tires.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:41 PM   #8
tacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Alex
tacomalex's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
wut?
Old 01-28-2012, 12:41 PM   #9
nomaxpi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manwithoutaplan View Post
do 33inch 3inch lift better preformance.
Performance will only be an issue until summer. I plan to get the TRD Supercharger in August. My primary concern is the drive on the highway and the fender well with the 3" lift and 33" tires. I would imagine and hard hits in the front would smash the fender to hell.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:44 PM   #10
Tacotronn
TacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
TacoTron's Tacoma Gallery
A 6 inch lift with 20s and 35s on the highway is going to suck and a super charger? You should plan on regearing if you do all of that.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:44 PM   #11
nomaxpi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomalex View Post
wut?
So the Taco in your sig is 3" w/33's?? That's not too bad if so.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:46 PM   #12
nomaxpi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoTron View Post
A 6 inch lift with 20s and 35s on the highway is going to suck and a super charger? You should plan on regearing if you do all of that.
I do plan on gears when I add the charger. Any suggestions on the ratio?? I know someone that went with 4.56, but stated they wish they had stayed with 4.10.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:46 PM   #13
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
get a 3"

33's might rub slightly, but that will be fixed with some cutting.

you will not be able to perform "extreme off-road action" with a 6" lift on 20's .
Old 01-28-2012, 12:49 PM   #14
tacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shed
If you plan on any "extreme off road action" I wouldn't run anything bigger than a 17" rim. You'll want all the sidewall you can get.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:51 PM   #15
nomaxpi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
get a 3"

33's might rub slightly, but that will be fixed with some cutting.

you will not be able to perform "extreme off-road action" with a 6" lift on 20's .
I figured I would get some rub, and I do not want to have to cut.

Any reasons why you believe I won't be able to to do some serious off-road with a 6" on 20's??
Old 01-28-2012, 12:53 PM   #16
Quote:
I figured I would get some rub, and I do not want to have to cut.

Any reasons why you believe I won't be able to to do some serious off-road with a 6" on 20's??
Not as much ground clearance as a 3" on 33's, less sidewall on your tire so can't air down as much to get more tire deformation (traction)

And personally I hate seeing 6" lifts with big ass rims.. It just screams bro.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:54 PM   #17
nomaxpi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomalex View Post
If you plan on any "extreme off road action" I wouldn't run anything bigger than a 17" rim. You'll want all the sidewall you can get.
This is exactly why i'm thinking of 6" on 35's (maybe even bigger since i'll have the room).
Old 01-28-2012, 01:06 PM   #18
Über Posre
Slodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Silas
Slodgetto's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
This is exactly why i'm thinking of 6" on 35's (maybe even bigger since i'll have the room).
If you don't want top cut, you really can't go bigger than a 35" on a 6" lift. And he's saying that you want more sidewall for offroading and 20s (even with a 35" tire) is a little big. 17" is about the max rim size for the serious offroader.

Heres my opinion though... If you're going more for looks, get the 20s with 35" tires and 6" lift. That'll look sweet. BUT if you'd rather perform better off-road, get the 3" lift with 33" tires (rim 17" or smaller.) You'd have more clearance than a 6" drop bracket lift, you'd have a lower center of gravity, and 33's are plenty big.
Old 01-28-2012, 01:22 PM   #19
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
3" lift with 33"s or you can do 32"s, like I have, if you don't want to trim anything.

6" lifts and big tires look good on full size Chevy's and Ford's, but look on small trucks like ours.

Just my opinion, though. Don't like it? Go fuck yourself
Old 01-28-2012, 01:40 PM   #20
Shake and Bake
4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jefferson
4wd Boss's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacomanator View Post
Just my opinion, though. Don't like it? Go fuck yourself