Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Ebay BHLM....where to re-seal

Old 01-29-2012, 10:54 AM   #1
Feed him a hammer, he'd crap out nails.
Dark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Dark_Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Ebay BHLM....where to re-seal

I got these blacked out headlight off ebay. I have read that some guys have trouble with these leaking. Their solution has been to seal them with clear silicone. My question is what part of the headlight do I need to seal? I'm guessing all around the edges I have posted pictures of.

Old 01-29-2012, 11:00 AM   #2
NBHNC
Rusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rusty
Rusty 06 4x4's Tacoma Gallery
try this thread dude he has excellent pics with where to silicone
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lig...light-mod.html
Old 01-29-2012, 11:00 AM   #3
Casey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant future

Name: Casey
Casey05Taco's Tacoma Gallery
you see right where the plastic meets the glass, put the silicone right there. use your finger to rub it in also
Old 01-29-2012, 11:02 AM   #4
RedTaco2134 will become famous soon enoughRedTaco2134 will become famous soon enough

Army: E-1
Name: Scott
RedTaco2134's Tacoma Gallery
Luckily I never had mine leak or get moisture behind the lens, but when we did the BHLM to my buddies Dodge truck he had that issue. We simply had to pull the lens back off scrape away some of the old grey junk and re-sealed. I would check closely for cracks. Good luck, hope this helps.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:03 AM   #5
Hiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hiatt
Hiatt1991's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Hiatt1991
Best possible way to do it is to preheat your oven to 350 degrees, them but the headlights on a peice of cardboard and let em sit in there for about 15 min. Then pull apart the lens from the body of the light. One thats done, go to autozone or pepboys and buy headlight sealant. It should look like long strips of black clay. Roll the clay and strech it out and lay it down on the outermost edges of the light (ie where the lens contacts the body of the headlight) Once you layed a good bead all around, put the lens back on and put it in the oven again for 15 min to let the sealant work. Then clamp it down and install the screws and make sure all the clips havebeen cliped. Voila. Your headlight will never leak. I did that with my ebay lights.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:09 AM   #6
Dark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Just pre-heated the oven.....my wife's exact words were WTF are you thinking?
Old 01-29-2012, 11:11 AM   #7
NBHNC
Rusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rusty
Rusty 06 4x4's Tacoma Gallery
arent you supposed to turn off the oven off once it hits the 350. the thread I posted said to turn it off ??? just asking not doubting
Old 01-29-2012, 11:13 AM   #8
RedTaco2134 will become famous soon enoughRedTaco2134 will become famous soon enough

Army: E-1
Name: Scott
RedTaco2134's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Taco View Post
Just pre-heated the oven.....my wife's exact words were WTF are you thinking?
Cooking headlights honey, want some?
Old 01-29-2012, 11:15 AM   #9

Told her, her car was next. Her response.....your going to burn down the house!
Old 01-29-2012, 11:20 AM   #10
rbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant future

Name: Ron
rbeezy's Tacoma Gallery
just do it the easy way and silicone the lights, where the clear lens meets the grey housing. i've siliconed the aftermarket lights on my past 2 rides, and no issues... no baking involved
Old 01-29-2012, 11:32 AM   #11

Since I haven't put them in the oven yet.... I may just try the silicone method first. They should have been sealed from the aftermarket company already....hopefully.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:44 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomathunder View Post
how much did you pay for those?
$95 shipped. Christmas sale. K2 motors ebay. They are $100 today
Old 01-29-2012, 12:53 PM   #14
Hiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hiatt
Hiatt1991's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Hiatt1991
YES SORRY! BE SURE TO TURN OFF THE OVEN BEFORE YOU POP THEM IN! lol
Old 01-29-2012, 01:14 PM   #15
XxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr.Chow
XxTHe FioLOxX's Tacoma Gallery
I resealed the edges on mine and so far they turned out great
Old 01-29-2012, 01:23 PM   #16
gpeet is on a distinguished road
gpeet's Tacoma Gallery
Smile

Quote:
I got these blacked out headlight off ebay. I have read that some guys have trouble with these leaking. Their solution has been to seal them with clear silicone. My question is what part of the headlight do I need to seal? I'm guessing all around the edges I have posted pictures of.

pics installed
Old 01-29-2012, 01:36 PM   #17
tacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
tacomathunder's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to tacomathunder
Quote:
$95 shipped. Christmas sale. K2 motors ebay. They are $100 today
That's not bad..may have to get a set... my only gripe is that I can't seem to find any with the stock colored signal/DTRL lens in amber yellow
Old 01-29-2012, 03:17 PM   #18

Something came up and I won't get to the install today. Pics once installed. Thanks for all the replies.

tacomathunder....you are correct mine do not have the amber lens. The bulbs are though.
Old 01-29-2012, 05:03 PM   #19
ระดับอาวุโส สมาชิกอาวุโส
dYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dyl0n
dYL0n's Tacoma Gallery
I sealed everywhere. I didn't remove the lense and use a new adhesive. I used silicone and hot glue. For the corners (lower corners by the grill) I put a 90 degree angle piece of rubber on the corner. It was too hard to get my fingers in there so I just laid a bead of silicone on it and stuck it on there.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:36 AM   #20

Done.....only time will tell how well they hold up. I will aim them tonight and check light output.