1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2012 Shut off on freeway

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by HRDTACO, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Jan 29, 2012 at 9:27 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    :eek:....kinda suprised to hear this detailed info from....a....chick....:eek:

2. Jan 29, 2012 at 9:27 PM
    deadhed61

deadhed61 :notsure:

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Santa Barbara, Ca
    Vehicle:
    The Black Pearl
    A little lift and a little armor
    Still coming off like a DB......

3. Jan 29, 2012 at 9:27 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    The OP is NOT a mechanic and shouldn't have to be.

4. Jan 29, 2012 at 9:28 PM
    Commanderwiggin

Commanderwiggin Well-Known Member

Member:
    Calgary
    Vehicle:
    12 Tacoma D/C 4x4 TRD Sport 6MT Supercharged
    Very familiar...I had a common transmission line leak on my duramax within the first hour of driving it...then I had the map sensor freeze on me putting my truck in limp mode. The op did the right thing in getting in contact with the dealer/tow etc...but while waiting...closer inspection is possible unless of course a handicap, lots of traffic, storm, unsafe conditions, etc... prohibited the closer inspection of it. I'm just stating that if he wanted more in depth information on what exactly it was more info would have been ideal for an open forum so we can express our views based off our experience...which he does not appear to have...new truck and I don't blame him.

5. Jan 29, 2012 at 9:31 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    I know my way around the underside of a vehicle. That being said, if there's 80MPH traffic flying by me as I sit on the side of the road, I'm not getting under the truck. Number one cause of death for highway patrol officers on duty is getting hit by cars. If there's a way to get off that road safely on foot, I am walking away and then calling for a tow. Otherwise, I'll stay inside the vehicle. I can always drop by the dealership later to see what's up.

6. Jan 29, 2012 at 9:32 PM
    2000GTacoma

2000GTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Snow Hill NC
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma Ext. 3.4L SR5
    can we just all get along?

7. Jan 29, 2012 at 9:33 PM
    ouyin2000

ouyin2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB TRD Sport
    Leer 100XL Canopy, OEM Side steps, TRD Oil Cap, TRD License Plate Cover, WeatherTech Digital Fit Liners, Elite O/R Hitch Shackle, Katzkin Leather Interior, LED Interior Lighting, Foglight Anytime mod, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Grom Audio Aux adapter, Redline Goods leather shift boot console cover and door handle pulls, Sockmonkey bedside decals, Dynolock electric tailgate lock
    If the ground was wet, or very dark coloured asphalt, then pink coolant at a glance may very well look red.

I'm putting my money that it was coolant that he lost. If it was tranny fluid, there would have been a lot more noise and bucking/vibrations.

By the way; Commanderwiggin, you should really quit while you're still behind. You're giving Canadians a bad name.

8. Jan 29, 2012 at 9:34 PM
    Commanderwiggin

Member:
    Calgary
    Vehicle:
    OP stated he found his way into a parking lot but I definitely agree on this 100%.

The OP also stated he had to leave so he did observe the red liquid...possibly was late for an appointment or such...very understandable to jump in a taxi and have it taken care of.

9. Jan 29, 2012 at 9:34 PM
    Indian Shifter

Indian Shifter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ashil
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2011 White DC TRD Sport 4x4 Manual
    I think we should..lol:D

10. Jan 29, 2012 at 9:35 PM
    Fractured

Fractured FPS-a-holic

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    NOR*Cal
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM DCSB 4x4
    TRD wheels, TRD cat back exhaust, ScanGauge 2, Debadged, Avid sliders, UWS bed box w/automatic LED light, Led Interior/Reverse/Lic. Plate lights, Yellow Fogs, Flyzeye Light, Color matched grill, Rearview mirror relocate bracket, Power Sliding rear window, Plasti-dipped bumper/"T" emblem

Point taken :thumbsup:

11. Jan 29, 2012 at 9:35 PM
    Commanderwiggin

Member:
    Calgary
    Vehicle:
    Okay hotshot ;)

12. Jan 29, 2012 at 9:36 PM
    Steves104x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    Alright. Next.

13. Jan 29, 2012 at 9:36 PM
    j83soldier

j83soldier Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    joshua
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma
    anti lock brake disable mod, fogtime anytime mod, Leer Topper, all pro plate bumper, toytec 3 inch lift, bfg AT, rims, piaa 5100's, some double din head unit (cant remember), warn 8000 winch, DO sliders, hacked frame to fit full size spare, thule and yakima roof racks
    Damn man I got a million of them. To properly utilized the term cockbag though you need to throw in cum dumpster or testical receptical first. As in " commaderwiggin should shut his effin cum dumpster you cockbag.". See how effective it is ?

14. Jan 29, 2012 at 9:37 PM
    Night

Night Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD OR AC MagGrey
    Banks Monster Exhaust, aFe ProGuard 7, 3M Film, UnderCoating, alpine 920 headunit, alpine 6.5 components, 20% tint all around, JL Stealthbox, PDX-V9 Amp, Avid Lightbar, Avid Sliders, Full Metal JackRabbit Tonneau, TRD S/C
    Our whole lives is about what could have been done better. That is besides the point. Not everyone has to have the same mentality of seeing what the problem is. I know plenty of people just say take it to the dealer because the check engine light, or call AMA for a flat when they are at home and have the necessary tools.

More information would of been good, but it didn't happen. So no one needs to bashing the shit out of each other. Without people not wanting to do their own maintenance there would be no shops for that sort of stuff.

All I am trying to get across, is people have their own way of doing things and that's up to them.

Not to be a cockbag, but if you have nothing of value to say don't say anything.

As well as, if there is a serious problem some people should pitch in the steps to get things done right and not allow the dealership to give a half as job or screw him/her out of money.

Constructive criticism never hurt anyone but you don't have to tear him a new ass hole in the process.

15. Jan 29, 2012 at 9:39 PM
    Steves104x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    Ok, it's over. Next. Bye bye.

16. Jan 29, 2012 at 9:41 PM
    Night

Night Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD OR AC MagGrey
    Banks Monster Exhaust, aFe ProGuard 7, 3M Film, UnderCoating, alpine 920 headunit, alpine 6.5 components, 20% tint all around, JL Stealthbox, PDX-V9 Amp, Avid Lightbar, Avid Sliders, Full Metal JackRabbit Tonneau, TRD S/C
    What are you going on about?

I respect my fellow Canadian and his opinions.

More power to him!

17. Jan 29, 2012 at 9:41 PM
    Commanderwiggin

Member:
    Calgary
    Vehicle:
    Never meant to come off mean...slightly affirmative in other methods of helping others troubleshoot a problem yes. Regardless my only means is to help the OP get his vehicle back...I have massive respect for programs like the lemon law and such which protect consumers of an actual lemon but in this situation it is too early to tell and the information is lax that those types of comments just depressed the OP...guys the guy just bought a new truck...he doesn't want to hear that his truck is garbage. If anything that may have sparked tension in my posts...regardless it is where it is...most likely coolant but the horrid smell could be transmission but with no bucking, grinding...tough call.

18. Jan 29, 2012 at 9:41 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    A friend of mine had a brand new Ford Powerstoke back in 2001. He is a diesel mechanic, naturally he does his own services on his trucks. While he was doing the first oil change, he noticed the factory had neglected to install a hose clamp on the lower radiator hose. If you've ever changed original hoses on a vehicle, you'll know that they don't come off easily, there's some kind of glue holding them on. Probably so they don't have minor fluid seepage under warranty. Anyway, I do wonder how far he would have driven like that before the hose blew off. Luckily he caught it.

19. Jan 29, 2012 at 9:41 PM
    Indian Shifter

Indian Shifter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ashil
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2011 White DC TRD Sport 4x4 Manual
    fucking awesome....I need an American teacher.... tho are god....my hero..throw me a few more...don't hijack this thread though:D

20. Jan 29, 2012 at 9:45 PM
    Night

Night Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD OR AC MagGrey
    I know where you are coming from. Shit happens and I honestly don't like people telling me to take it back. Originally with my truck that was the problem, had to get the door repainted a few times because of a carve after we signed the papers. 4 times in total and its still a shit job. Oh well what can you do.

The smell might be from the fresh engine. I still get some of that smell from my truck and I'm at 3k km.

Products Discussed in

To Top