1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Roof Rack Thule vs. Over the Bed Thule: What’s More Practical?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Mr Souc, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Jan 30, 2012 at 9:43 AM
    Mr Souc

Mr Souc [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel
    Topsham Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    - TacoME Satoshi - Hella Supertones - TRD front skid plate - TRD CAI - TRD cat-back exhaust - TRD short throw shifter - TRD 6 speed ball knob - Baja Soft 8 16" wheels - 285/75/16 BFG T/A KO2s - Pioneer AVH-P2400BT - OEM roof rack - Thule Aero roof rack - TSB Add-A-Leaf - 1" Level spacer up front - 5100s front & rear - Eibach 620lb coils - Toytec 2" add-a-leaf - Plasti-Dip bumper, badges, & roof
    Hey all.

I'm looking to ditch my stock roof rack for a set up that will actually be of some real use. Out of local Craig's List ads, I found opportunities to go with a Thule XSporter set up or Thule base and cross 54" rail arrow bars with the 44" fairing, both for the same price (btw a WICKED good deal!!!).

I'm in a bit of a quandary as to what would be more practical. Using the roof keeps the bed clear and allows for use of my tonneau cover to keep things locked up and out of sight, but using the Thule XSporter allows for a larger load...

I'm looking to hook 2 sets of Thule's "J" kayak to transport 2 kayaks. I also tow a pop up camper and mt. bikes at times.

What do you guys use? Prefer? Thoughts???:confused:

2. Jan 31, 2012 at 7:16 PM
    tacoma16

tacoma16 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Double cab SR5 4x4
    bump, looking for info on this

3. Jan 31, 2012 at 7:41 PM
    Fractured

Fractured FPS-a-holic

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    NOR*Cal
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM DCSB 4x4
    TRD wheels, TRD cat back exhaust, ScanGauge 2, Debadged, Avid sliders, UWS bed box w/automatic LED light, Led Interior/Reverse/Lic. Plate lights, Yellow Fogs, Flyzeye Light, Color matched grill, Rearview mirror relocate bracket, Power Sliding rear window, Plasti-dipped bumper/"T" emblem
    What would you use it for? Skis? A canoe?

4. Feb 1, 2012 at 3:38 AM
    Mr Souc

Mr Souc [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel
    Topsham Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    - TacoME Satoshi - Hella Supertones - TRD front skid plate - TRD CAI - TRD cat-back exhaust - TRD short throw shifter - TRD 6 speed ball knob - Baja Soft 8 16" wheels - 285/75/16 BFG T/A KO2s - Pioneer AVH-P2400BT - OEM roof rack - Thule Aero roof rack - TSB Add-A-Leaf - 1" Level spacer up front - 5100s front & rear - Eibach 620lb coils - Toytec 2" add-a-leaf - Plasti-Dip bumper, badges, & roof
    It would be for transporting 2 kayaks 90% of the time. I have a 16' aluminum flat stern canoe that would go up there once in a while (duck season) but most of the time just kayaks. Skis in the winter occasionally too.

On a side note, I rigged my Thule J racks up onto the stock roof rack just for s&g's and it not going to work I don't think. They wiggle around and flop fwd and aft real bad. You might be able to get away by tie/securing them through the cargo loops on the rack itself, but with the wind resistance, bumps, flex, whatever, I think you would be pushing the 100lb weight limit and asking for an accident.

Thoughts? Seems the stock Toyota rack is just for looks!

5. Feb 2, 2012 at 5:29 PM
    tacoma16

tacoma16 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Double cab SR5 4x4
    i was looking for info on this as well. From what i have seen, guys who expo their trucks usually go for the bed basket as it will provide 2 layer storage
    example now for what you are thinking the roof will probably be better unless you want to let the boats hang out the back of the truck

this guy is transporting to kayaks

Personally i was thinking about this (see link below), as it owuld be easier to take on and off, no holes in the roof (chances of leaking), and dont have to worry about weight on the bed as much as you would on the roof. Plus this rack just looks sick...love this guys build hope this helps.

6. Mar 18, 2012 at 3:14 PM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius

here you go op...http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/203367-best-bed-rack.html#post4759897

7. Mar 18, 2012 at 3:32 PM
    Hairy Taco

Hairy Taco Jungle of Love

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    North of Hell
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD
    If you have a 5' bed get the roof rack, if a 6' bed get the bed rack.....or do what i did. I use the front roof bar, and the back bed bar. It gives me a nice long span for strapping down either a 17' canoe or Kayak. One strap around each bar is all i need to hold the boat solid. I need neither a bow or stern tether. I have used this for many years and it has worked brilliantly. The shorter your span between bars the more suseptible your load will be to shifting in windy conditions.

Products Discussed in

To Top