Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Is it weird...

Old 02-01-2012, 09:28 AM   #1
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police
Name: Mike
650H1's Tacoma Gallery
Is it weird...

Is it weird if when I park on a hill and put my truck in park it rolls a little?
Old 02-01-2012, 09:29 AM   #2
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
no, i just set the parking brake before i let off the brake pedal, it's just taking up the slack in the drivetrain
Old 02-01-2012, 09:31 AM   #4
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by krimson View Post
Nope, use the parking break.
*brake
Old 02-01-2012, 07:30 PM   #6
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police
650H1's Tacoma Gallery
haha thanks guys! all the other automatics ive had locked the wheels right up when they were in park so i didnt know if something was wrong.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:02 PM   #7
Night is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Night's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 650H1 View Post
haha thanks guys! all the other automatics ive had locked the wheels right up when they were in park so i didnt know if something was wrong.
As far as I know, all auto's just let the vehicle roll onto the parking pin when it is in park. So, what kind of vehicles did you have that did that?
Old 02-01-2012, 08:05 PM   #8
BroBraBlahBlah
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
all vehicles will roll once put in park. its just the weight coming to rest on the transmision. which is not good.

Proper procedure:

Parking:
1.come to a complete stop
2. set parking brake
3. put in park

taking off:
1. take truck out of park
2. release parking brake
3. crazy burnout

Im pretty anal about my truck, being a mechanic. i had to burn this method into my ex-gfs head because it pissed me off when she did it wrong. I hate fixing my own truck.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:14 AM   #9
Señorita Member
bethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beth
bethes's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonman View Post
all vehicles will roll once put in park. its just the weight coming to rest on the transmision. which is not good.

Im pretty anal about my truck, being a mechanic. i had to burn this method into my ex-gfs head because it pissed me off when she did it wrong. I hate fixing my own truck.
I'm almost afraid to ask after that, but what does it do to the transmission?
Old 02-02-2012, 05:52 AM   #10
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethes View Post

it adds un needed stress on it. the weight of the vehicle at an incline is putting pressure onto the tranny. Set the P brake before putting in park to keep that from happening and step on normal brake before removing the P brake.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:56 AM   #11
Señorita Member
bethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bethes's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks. I will get in the habit.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:25 AM   #12
BroBraBlahBlah
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethes View Post
Well if you dont set the brake, what happens when you take your truck out of park? CLUNK. Metal shavings. I really dislike this. But hey, many people do this for the entire life of the vehicles. I just
Old 02-02-2012, 11:34 AM   #13
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
Put trans in neutral, apply parking brake then into park. Every time you shift out of park with weight on the trans you slowly destroy the parking pawl in the transmission. The same way people with manual transmissions that don't use their clutches to shift (you know who you are) destroy the syncros in their transmissions (even if they are REALLY GOOD) at "RPM matching"
Old 02-02-2012, 11:45 AM   #14
All Glory To The Hypnotoad
ziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ziggynagy's Tacoma Gallery
Arrow

I'm always a bit nervous of parking on hills since it gets icy where I live. On top of using the p brake I also turn my wheels based upon the hill.

Old 02-02-2012, 11:49 AM   #15
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night View Post
As far as I know, all auto's just let the vehicle roll onto the parking pin when it is in park. So, what kind of vehicles did you have that did that?
x2. every auto I've every owned will roll at least a little when put in park on a hill. I usually keep my foot on the brake and let it roll back gently onto the transmission locking pin.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:52 AM   #16
Señorita Member

bethes's Tacoma Gallery
Ok... When I learned to drive it was in a standard and my dad told me it would instantly make the engine explode if I shifted without using the clutch. I always doubted that but I certainly wasn't going to test it! Hahaha

Thanks for the info, I didn't know that happens to the transmission; my parents live on a hill and at their house I would usually put it in park, engage the P brake, then take my foot off the regular brake (this has the same effect as far as I can tell, it didn't roll back anyway). I didn't know it was bad for the transmission, I just didn't like that it was harder to take it out of park when I started it next. But I wasn't always religious about it either. I will be more attentive about it now.

I'm with you ziggynagy, I always bank my wheels on a hill. That hill my parents live on? The neighbor's truck slipped out of gear or he didn't set the P brake or something. Truck rolled down the hill and into my parents' driveway, totaled my mom's car and pushed it into my car so it needed a little body work. I got kinda paranoid about proper parking procedures on hills.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:05 PM   #17
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggynagy View Post
I'm always a bit nervous of parking on hills since it gets icy where I live. On top of using the p brake I also turn my wheels based upon the hill.

They teach that in Driver's Ed, you should always turn the wheels when parking on a hill. I used to always use the parking brake but I had it freeze up on me once and I had a hell of a time getting my truck moving again... I will never make that mistake again
Old 02-02-2012, 12:25 PM   #18
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
i try not to let it roll, but sometimes i forget and i do. i dont like how it kinda binds the tranny and makes it sometimes more difficult to put it into gear.

but honestly. the tranny stresses holding the weight of the truck on a tiny incline is miniscule compared to the stresses on the tranny when it sees the power put to it by a motor with us stepping on the gas pedal, no? hell, i can push a truck up a slight incline.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:44 PM   #19
All Glory To The Hypnotoad
ziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ziggynagy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
They teach that in Driver's Ed, you should always turn the wheels when parking on a hill. I used to always use the parking brake but I had it freeze up on me once and I had a hell of a time getting my truck moving again... I will never make that mistake again
Yea, learned it in Driver's Ed when I lived in Florida where there are no hills. Noticed most MA parkers don't seem to follow tho.

Bethes, saw the same thing happen on my college campus. Thankfully no one was hurt and the car hit a tree so no other collateral damage.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:00 PM   #20

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggynagy View Post
Yea, learned it in Driver's Ed when I lived in Florida where there are no hills. Noticed most MA parkers don't seem to follow tho.
You mean the Massholes don't follow the standard conventions of automobile handling and maneuvering?

Most MA drivers seem to have trouble keeping their cars between the yellow and white lines, can't hold a steady speed to save their life (apparently no vehicles in MA have cruise control) and can't be bothered to use their signals. Can you say you're honestly surprised about the parking on the hills thing?