1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Shoes! BFG Rugged Terrain

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Metalhead77, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Feb 3, 2013 at 4:23 PM
    4x4Taco2012

4x4Taco2012 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Huntingdon Valley, PA
    Vehicle:
    2022 DCSB Limited 4x4
    TRD lift, TRD SEMA wheels, TRD skid plate, TRD Pro fog lights, TRD Heritage Grill, OEM bed cover, LT275/70/17 Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws, OEM bed lights, OEM all weather floor mats, OEM door skid plates, OEM mud guards, OEM bed mat, Black lug nuts
    Do you guys have any updates on how the tires are holding up? This is one of the tires I'm considering. Thanks.

2. Feb 3, 2013 at 4:34 PM
    EEKANOUSE

EEKANOUSE Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    will
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2010 standard cab 4x4
    3" lift, Goodyear 265/75 duratrac, wet okole seat covers, are cap, safari springs rear.
    Rugged terrains IMO are hunt get all terrains or Goodyear duratraks!

3. Feb 3, 2013 at 4:34 PM
    EEKANOUSE

EEKANOUSE Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    will
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2010 standard cab 4x4
    3" lift, Goodyear 265/75 duratrac, wet okole seat covers, are cap, safari springs rear.
  4. Feb 3, 2013 at 8:53 PM
    lj973gm

lj973gm Sold it, dont miss it yet.

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB 4wd
    Rugged Terrains are listed as a highway tread tire meant to look like a all terrain tire.

They do what they were intended to do, exactly what I listed above.

They will not compare to a AT or MT tire of course.

If you want the look and typically stay on road they are one of the few HT tires that do not look like they belong on your wifes mini van. On the plus side they will retain factory gas mileage due to keeping the weight the same and a non aggressive tread to create additional resistance.

I thought about getting them but went with a AT tire due to some rough jobsites I frequent.

5. Feb 4, 2013 at 6:21 AM
    skippermike

skippermike Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 4x4 w/off road mods
    3" Icon lift, coilovers, reservoir r. shocks, AAL, Icon UCA, 17" Eagle wheels, extra electrical, inverter, ICOM VHF
    Amazing how polarized tire opinions can be.
    I''ve had a set of Rugged Terrains (not Rugged Trails) on for 15 months.
    The wear is good, keep their balance.
    They arre quiet, good in the rain, though not as good as they were a year ago.
    They've been off road in Baja in some reasonably rough stuff - good in sand, OK in rough up hill/down hill, along the beach. They load up in mud because tread is not really open. Haven't had in snow yet, though I suspect tread wouldn't clear as well as a more open tread.
    I'm not an aggressive rock climber, and watch for sharp rocks on the trail that could cut sidewalls - though haven't had any cuts from rocks. Got a superficial cut from a piece off half-embedded rebar on a construction site.
    For what they are intended to do, they are good tires.
    I'd recommend them.

6. Feb 4, 2013 at 6:34 AM
    Canes58

Canes58 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pensacola
    Vehicle:
    09 RC 4x 5spd
    magnaflow - k&n - fact alum wheels - back up mirror - intermit wipers - JVC 800 w/focal 165's - oem fogs - 5100's fr & rear.
    Doing great, holding up just fine. When it's time, gonna put same tires on my Bronco II, and Sport Trac. Keep in mind, I don't really "off road", these vehicles are all 4 wheel drive and this tire looks good and drives great.

7. Feb 4, 2013 at 7:21 AM
    4x4Taco2012

4x4Taco2012 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Huntingdon Valley, PA
    Vehicle:
    2022 DCSB Limited 4x4
    TRD lift, TRD SEMA wheels, TRD skid plate, TRD Pro fog lights, TRD Heritage Grill, OEM bed cover, LT275/70/17 Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws, OEM bed lights, OEM all weather floor mats, OEM door skid plates, OEM mud guards, OEM bed mat, Black lug nuts

Thanks for the info!

8. Apr 28, 2014 at 1:53 PM
    BARTRD

BARTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Monroe, Ga
    Vehicle:
    '07 RR TRD Sport
    Volant CAI with optional skoop, Magna-Flow exhaust, K&N drop-in air filter, WeatherTechs, Wet Okole, kenwood navigation head unit, de-badged, 15% tint all around, factory roof rack fitted with Thule fairing, billy 5100 on all 4 corners, ICON AAL, n-fab light bar with 4 hella 500s, rear lights mounted under bumper
    i know im reviving an old thread but wanted to give an update:

i made it to about 45k miles on the Rugged Terrains. i traded them in with about 4-5/32 of tread left on them. they probably would have made it to 55k.

they were decent tires overall. they wore very evenly and were not too loud. as many others have stated, they are definitely a highway tire. as long as you dont do serious off-roading you should be ok.

the main issue i had was balancing. the more they wore down, the worse they got. they just would not stay balanced and it was to the point of being irritating. i would have them rotated and balanced and 1000 miles later id have to have them re-balanced, and this was a consistant problem.

i ended up going with a set of Nittos this time. not that the Rugged Terrains were a terrible tire, i just wanted to try something different.

overall rating would probably be an 8 out of 10. decent mileage and ride quality. the main negative was the balancing issue

hope this info is helpful to someone

Products Discussed in

To Top