1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

thinking of taking the plunge but a few questions

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by edgebone, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Feb 1, 2012 at 6:23 PM
    edgebone

edgebone [OP] New Member

Member:
    i have been thinking about buying a truck for a while. i currently drive a standard and i do not like how most manufactures are pushing the autos. i sm looking at a 07-10 double cab 6 speed. my first question is what are the differences between the sr5 and the trd sport besides the suspension. the upgraded shocks and such wont really make a difference i dont think as i plan on lifting it and will propably be changing a lot of the suspension as part of the lift. the OR is out of the question as here in canada you cant get a double cab 6 speed in a OR long box. also, how what would be my options for installing a locker? and what would be any problem areas to look at?

2. Feb 1, 2012 at 7:06 PM
    stewartx

stewartx Well-Known Member

Member:
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    2012 Silver DC SB TRD Off-Road
    Winch, front hitch, step bars, bed extender, bed step, gull-wing toolbox, tailgate lock, security system, cb radio, etc.
    Just curious. What are your objections to an automatic? They've improved dramatically over the last several decades (performance, reliability, longevity, etc), to the point where even a growing number of racing cars and semi-trucks are now using automatics.

3. Feb 1, 2012 at 7:10 PM
    himmie

himmie No.

Member:
    First Name:
    Sarah
    AZ-WI
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Yes.
    Sport: suspension, wheels, seats, stereo (in some cases), power in bed, scooped hood, color-matched parts (rather than black and chrome stuff), etc...

4. Feb 1, 2012 at 7:16 PM
    ouyin2000

ouyin2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB TRD Sport
    Leer 100XL Canopy, OEM Side steps, TRD Oil Cap, TRD License Plate Cover, WeatherTech Digital Fit Liners, Elite O/R Hitch Shackle, Katzkin Leather Interior, LED Interior Lighting, Foglight Anytime mod, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Grom Audio Aux adapter, Redline Goods leather shift boot console cover and door handle pulls, Sockmonkey bedside decals, Dynolock electric tailgate lock
    Really the only functional difference that pertains to you, between the SR5 and the Sport, is the outlet in the bed for rear end power. The hood scoop is relative to whether or not you like being blinded with the sun at a certain angle shining off of the back rake of the scoop.

Also, if I could go back and buy my truck again, I would have bought the auto. Mostly for the 6 foot bed in the double cab, but also because of the noted complaints with the manual. Don't get me wrong though, I do love my truck.

5. Feb 1, 2012 at 7:21 PM
    edgebone

edgebone [OP] New Member

Member:
    what are the complaints about the manual? and myabe it is a canada thing but my friends father has a sr5 and it has the color matched fenders and the same seats as the trds ive seen. and for perfering a manual over an auto i just find them more fun to drive.

6. Feb 1, 2012 at 7:26 PM
    pyroskier

pyroskier Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Laramie, WY
    Vehicle:
    2004 Ext Cab TRD 3.4
    I've heard the auto in 2nd gens gets better gas mileage, but not much. And putting in a rear locker is very pricey for a good one, and if you get an Air locker such as ARB, you'll have to get on-board air to actuate the locker. Sucks the OR are hard to get in Canada.

7. Feb 1, 2012 at 7:51 PM
    2004TacomaSR5

2004TacomaSR5 Nemesis Prime

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DCSB & 1980 Toyota Pickup 4WD
    Tacoma is stock and staying that way, Pickup is TBA as of now.
    The 6 speed has throwout bearing and I think some earlier models had clutch issues, but there is a warranty covered TSB for the throwout bearing, I have never drove a 6 speed, but I do love driving my 5 speed! If I ever upgrade to a V6 it will be a 6 speed regardless, I just cant really see these trucks being nearly as much fun with an automatic.

8. Feb 1, 2012 at 7:53 PM
    ouyin2000

ouyin2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB TRD Sport
    Leer 100XL Canopy, OEM Side steps, TRD Oil Cap, TRD License Plate Cover, WeatherTech Digital Fit Liners, Elite O/R Hitch Shackle, Katzkin Leather Interior, LED Interior Lighting, Foglight Anytime mod, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Grom Audio Aux adapter, Redline Goods leather shift boot console cover and door handle pulls, Sockmonkey bedside decals, Dynolock electric tailgate lock
    Throwout bearing (somewhat common, but there's a TSB for it), squeaky clutch (I've experienced this one personally, but it was easily covered under warranty), rough gear shifting (only a few have complained about this that I know of, but as people will love to point out "It's a truck"), worse gas mileage than autos.

Products Discussed in

To Top