1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

6 speed problems

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by edgebone, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Mar 5, 2012 at 8:36 PM
    badger

badger Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    I can tell you that I've never driven a transmission that is as sensitive to the oil used. I would strongly recommend Redline MT-90. There is no other oil that peforms as well in these 6 speeds. It makes a difference you will feel immediately. A quick shift kit helps shorten the throw to something reasonable. Beyond that, the adjustment will have to come from you.

If you're a driver who knows what proper shock valving feels like, it won't be long before you pitch the entire suspension and replace it :D

2. Mar 5, 2012 at 8:45 PM
    TACK

TACK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    10 PreRunner TRD Off-Road MGM
    Bilstein 5100s at 1.75", Level 8 Tracker wheels, white lithium grease mod for creaky clutch pedal
    This may be a dumb question, but everyone speaks of MT-90 making a "difference". What exactly does it improve? Can anyone explain?

3. Mar 5, 2012 at 8:56 PM
    MotorsportsAustin

MotorsportsAustin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Belmont, CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Off Road 6spd
    Thank you for the helpful answer! :cheers: I plan to let the dealer take a try at it then see about the fluid change. Gotta get the prob logged in Toyota's service system.

Is MT-90 the best for helping remedy the 6 speed? I know there are other fluids out there with different additives too, won't matter to me if they're an extra $20, I'd be glad to try whatever will help best!

4. Mar 5, 2012 at 9:11 PM
    badger

badger Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    MT-90 specifically provides the right viscous coupling to drive the synchros. I've tried just about every quality oil out there, and the Redline manual transmission formulation is spot on. They make 3 or 4 variations and I haven't tried them all. I do know some have had good luck with Redline MTL which is their lightest formulation. Unless you see temps well below zero though, the MT-90 is a good place to start. $14 a qt, so $28 for a fill. Best $28 you will spend. It greatly reduced the nicking I used to get into 2nd and 3rd, and it pretty much has eliminated hangups between gears. It has made the transmission usable with smooth technique, where before it really wasn't. It's not a magic wand, but pretty close.

5. Mar 5, 2012 at 9:17 PM
    MotorsportsAustin

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Belmont, CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Off Road 6spd
    Thank you!!! You just bought my Taco another 2 weeks of opportunity to shape up before I ditch it.

6. Mar 5, 2012 at 9:20 PM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    Yeah I used to think that way. ;)

7. Mar 5, 2012 at 9:23 PM
    TACK

TACK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    10 PreRunner TRD Off-Road MGM
    Bilstein 5100s at 1.75", Level 8 Tracker wheels, white lithium grease mod for creaky clutch pedal
    Thanks! It never gets colder than 30s or 40s here. I've always had the "nicking" or "clacking" going into 3rd. I'll have to give the MT-90 a shot.

8. Mar 5, 2012 at 9:40 PM
    MotorsportsAustin

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Belmont, CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Off Road 6spd

The '11 I test drove originally was great, this '12 I bought is nowhere as smooth. Neither had the short shifter or TRD knob. Could the box and clutch actually be different than the 2011?

9. Mar 5, 2012 at 9:50 PM
    badger

badger Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    If you drove one that you liked, then I would give this one a chance. Mine actually developed a burr or something on the synchros from using one of the oils I tried. It was terrible, and it took a while for that to smooth out when I switched to Lucas. The switch to Redline though really did the trick. If you still have a little problem after the switch, drive it awhile because you may have done some damage that needs to wear down as well. The sychros are brass and pretty soft. Everytime you get a grind into gear you're gnawing at that brass.

As critical as I have been of the 6 spd, I still wouldn't have a Tacoma without it. It was a real quandry for me because it has taken me damn near a year to figure out and fix the problems to the point that I'm happy (enough) with it.

Here's what I have done:
    Modified the clutch pedal
    installed URD short shift kit
    Built a custom lever offset to move the lever closer to my leg
    Sickspeed classic ball knob
    Redline oil

Now my hand falls right on the shifter and I can get into any gear without any reaching. I always modify the clutch pedals on my vehicles so that the same leg reach required to brake the car, actuates the clutch. In stock form, if you set your seat right for the brake pedal and accelerator, it leaves you stretching to fully depress the clutch. Your stretching your leg to do that while your leaning right to reach 5th gear. Having things set right makes the process of shifting much easier to control, at least for me it does.:)

10. Mar 6, 2012 at 11:09 AM
    xxaarraa

xxaarraa Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ah, Badger and I are the minority around here who don't like the 6 speed. Many debates later, bottom line is this: You can remedy some of the shifting feel with a short shifter kit and shift knob as well as MT-90, but the gearing is the gearing. Ultra short first gear and close ratios mean you will be shifting a lot to get moving anywhere. Live with it man,

11. Mar 6, 2012 at 2:18 PM
    MotorsportsAustin

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Belmont, CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Off Road 6spd
    Badger and Xxaarraa,
    I really appreciate your responses.

Update: Went to the dealer today (Toyota 101 and met Joe Bermudes - this guy was very helpful!).

The mechanic (yup actual mechanic, not just a "tech") who looked at it has been at that Toyota only dealer since 1985. He does all the transmission work at the dealer, so Joe Bermudes sent me on a test drive with the expert. He has credibility all day long and we had a lot in common regarding Porsche stuff (he's got a 993 and 996) thus we discussed Aisin's crappy gearboxes in the 996's 997's and of course Taco's.

Found:
    1. Transmission notably / unusually "tight" and should "wear in" and accept gears better. If not, then replacement of synchros or gearbox will be necessary.
    2. Clutch & bearings are loud but that's much due in part to the transmission and clutch components, there is no Toyota resolution for it.
    3. Toyota will warranty the gear box for 5 yrs and the clutch for 3 yrs against defects. Also noted, they have a responsive system of regional management that inspects and warranties work when the dealer ordinarily can't i.e. original warranty expired.
    4. It would operate with lighter oil or ATF and it would quiet it down, but 75w90 is the manufacturer's recommendation for wear and warranty compliance, and I should allow it to break in first. The Redline MT90 is a good alternative, same warm weight as the factory fluid.

12. Mar 6, 2012 at 3:43 PM
    xxaarraa

xxaarraa Well-Known Member

Member:
    Good luck with the "break-in" and keep us posted!

13. Mar 6, 2012 at 7:05 PM
    shackley

shackley Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Pro MT Super White
    RCI rock sliders, Goodyear Ultraterrains 265/70/R16, BAK X2 tonneau
    I've had 5 Toyota pick-ups (3 Tacomas) both 5 and 6 speeds, and NEVER had a problem. Maybe I'm a better driver, or at least a more experienced driver. I have a 2012 with 2500 miles and still no problem.

14. Mar 6, 2012 at 10:47 PM
    badger

badger Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    Well,
    You are documented now so if there is a particular issue with your truck they will hopefully take care of it. I doubt a breakin will change much. I'll be watching for your follow up report. I assume you are aware of the throttle hang caused by the throttle by wire? That can cause problems because the RPMs don't drop as they would with a manual throttle. That makes rpm matching more difficult on upshifts. You can reduce the affect by subtley changing your throttle/clutch timing. Not so easy if you have been driving manuals for many years, but it will help. I actually replaced the muffler with a louder one so I could hear the engine better. This tranny will never shift effortlessly though. Might as well get used to that. It has to be shifted very deliberately. There is a point, past which you will never go. It reminds me of shifting the old "3 on the tree" vehicles.:cool:

15. Mar 7, 2012 at 5:45 AM
    tonyplanet

tonyplanet Well-Known Member

Member:
    Glendora, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off-Road
    enough to get me there
    I wonder if Sprintbooster released a version for the manual transmission. I know URD has it for the auto. May help with the drive by wire response, and aid you in shifting.

16. Mar 7, 2012 at 6:26 AM
    gbjr78

gbjr78 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    2012 6 speed v6
    Ultra Gauge... More to come
    Guys what would the "break in" Process be? I'm at 250 miles now and have not done too much.

17. Mar 7, 2012 at 7:41 AM
    badger

badger Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    No sprint booster yet. IMO it's kind of overkill since the throttle response is acceptable to me. On a sports car it might not be, but for a truck it's fine. All we really need is a hang buster for deceleration.

Mating metal surfaces need about 1000 miles to marry. Probably 80% gets done in the first 500. That's for all the bearings, gear boxes, diffs, etc. I always change the fluids at 500 with dino oil, and then at 1000 with synthetic. You can hold the oil in the sun and see why. People usually think it terns of engine breakin, but really, its' the whole drivetrain that breaks in.

18. Mar 7, 2012 at 7:55 AM
    tonyplanet

tonyplanet Well-Known Member

Member:
    Glendora, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off-Road
    enough to get me there
    I believe that most modern day engines/ drivetrain don't require break-in period. Otherwise it would state that in the owners manual.

But, I do believe in break-in for when you re-gear.

19. Mar 7, 2012 at 8:14 AM
    TRDyota09

TRDyota09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jabin
    Reedsville,WV
    Vehicle:
    09 Super White TRD DCSB
    K&N cold air intake, magnaflow dual exhaust, extang trifold, grillcraft black mesh grill, spyder black projector headlights w/LED's and halo's, trd 6 speed shift knob, aftermarket TRD badges, interior piped out in red,265/75-16 Goodyear Duratrac tires,painted wheels w/red pin stripe
    Where exactly would one acquire this so called MT-90, and how hard is the change?

20. Mar 7, 2012 at 9:06 AM
    GetBarelled

GetBarelled √ Back in a Taco again √

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    SF Bay
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD OR 4x4
    Billy 5100's all around. Otherwise, the truck is OLD and STOCK.

Products Discussed in

To Top