Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

bad rear axle bearing

Old 02-02-2012, 02:10 PM   #1
Raylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to behold

Navy: USN, nuclear submarines
Raylo's Tacoma Gallery
bad rear axle bearing

Well, for a year or so I have been having this cyclical hum that varied with speed, the loudest at about 60 mph where it cycled about once per second. Been getting louder lately so I took it to the dealer. I suspected a front wheel bearing since they seem to fail so often... but the dealer said it was actually the right rear bearing. Part is ordered and will be installed tomorrow under powertrain warranty. Be glad to quiet the beast down.
Old 02-03-2012, 03:23 PM   #2
Raylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to behold

Raylo's Tacoma Gallery
bearings, bearings, bearings

Well, the dealer replaced the bad right rear wheel bearing and they said the truck is still making noise. So they are going to replace the other side and road test with some fancy sound gear to try to track down any further issues such as xfer case, differentials, etc. I guess my confidence level isn't all that high at this point and I will be w/o my truck for several days at least. Nothing to do but let them take their best shot at it.

Unbelievable that bearings are failing on a daily driver, no lift, never towed anything, etc. I'll update or post a new thread as this progresses.
Old 02-03-2012, 03:29 PM   #3
Night In The Ruts!
09DC4X4 has a spectacular aura about09DC4X4 has a spectacular aura about09DC4X4 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Brian
09DC4X4's Tacoma Gallery
Wow on a 09? Damn.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:15 PM   #4

Raylo's Tacoma Gallery
Indeed. The worst part is getting grief from a retro-grouch buddy of mine that drives a 1979 Chevy wagon that he claims has the original rear axle wheel bearings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09DC4X4 View Post
Wow on a 09? Damn.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:52 AM   #5

Raylo's Tacoma Gallery
The dealer replaced the other rear wheel bearing and that did the trick. The truck is as quiet as new again. As I said this is a daily driver that sees no towing or hard use so not a clue why both rear wheel bearings were bad except maybe they were defective from day one.

I recall hearing what had to be the beginning of this back in summer 2009 on a trip to the beach with the GF. I had the radio down and noticed a faint woo-woo at 60 mph. Very faint but it was there. Much louder lately got me to take it in.

Good service by my dealer, (Fitzgerald in Gaithersburg, MD). No games or "show me your service records" nonsense. They just fixed it and sent me on my way.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:53 PM   #6
acarr83 is on a distinguished road
acarr83's Tacoma Gallery
took my '09 into the local dealer today for the same repair. They replaced one of the front wheel bearings but on a road test noticed there was still noise coming from the rear, so they are going to replace one of the rear bearings first thing tomorrow morning.
I'm at 33,500 miles and also very surprised with these premature failures.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:09 PM   #7

Raylo's Tacoma Gallery
With mine they replaced one of the rears and all the noise didn't go away. So be prepared for them to maybe need the truck for a couple extra hours to replace the other one. The bearings probably came from the same lot and they were likely bad from the get-go.

Oh, I would ask about the rear axle oil. My dealer did NOT replace it during the job. Seems they can do the work losing only a minimal amount out the axle tube. But it seemed silly to me not to replace it when the barings had failed and you are installing brand new bearings. so I replaced it myself a couple days later.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:52 PM   #8
analyn is on a distinguished road
analyn's Tacoma Gallery
Talking bad rear bearing

Got my driver side rear bearing replaced this afternoon. I'd been noticing a bit of noise over the last several weeks and thought nothing of it, but I was driving last night and the sound got to be unbearably loud so I took it to my local mechanic and that's what they said the problem was. Now I've got my nice quiet ride back. They said the part actually fell to pieces when they took it out because it was in that bad of shape. How often do these things usually get replaced. My kia has nearly 100,000 miles on it and this is the first time I'm replacing a bearing. My little blue kia is once again safe to drive so I'm a happy camper despite the $320 bill. Is that too high? Should I find a different mechanic or is that about right for a CA price? It's $100 for parts and double that for labor plus tax, and that includes the oil change. So what do you guys think? And, yes I just noticed this is a "Tacoma" board but I hope you guys don't mind questions about a kia.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:08 PM   #9
stmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jimmy
stmpjmpr's Tacoma Gallery
I have 123k miles on my 06 and still have original rear bearings. quiet as a mouse.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:58 AM   #10
FgReed is on a distinguished road
FgReed's Tacoma Gallery
Just purchased my 09 3 weeks ago with 55000 on it from Toyota. Last week started noticing growling noise. Thought it was the front bearings. Also noticed i've had vibrations when braking since I got it. Took it in to Toyota yesterday and it ended up being both rear wheel bearings, not front. They're on order and will be replaced next week under warranty. They also put on new front rotors because they were warped no charge and they're going to machine my rear drums next week when they do my bearings because the tech said they were also slightly out of round. No charge.
I think that is pretty good service IMO
I guess it also helps that i know the tech.