Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Tuffy Box install with pics

Old 02-03-2012, 11:53 PM   #21
OverRated has much to be proud ofOverRated has much to be proud ofOverRated has much to be proud ofOverRated has much to be proud ofOverRated has much to be proud ofOverRated has much to be proud ofOverRated has much to be proud ofOverRated has much to be proud ofOverRated has much to be proud of
Name: David
OverRated's Tacoma Gallery
Nice! I might get this to transport my handguns... (stupid California laws)

Was thinking of just getting the regular old tool box to keep my ar15 and handguns in when I'm heading to the range or something
Old 02-03-2012, 11:58 PM   #22
THE OLD TACO721 with a new name.
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
very nice! you may have just sold me on one. i donít really want a tool box. i think i may get one and do the ammo can mod as well. and have everything i need and still have my hole bed.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:10 AM   #23
OverRated has much to be proud ofOverRated has much to be proud ofOverRated has much to be proud ofOverRated has much to be proud ofOverRated has much to be proud ofOverRated has much to be proud ofOverRated has much to be proud ofOverRated has much to be proud ofOverRated has much to be proud of
Name: David
OverRated's Tacoma Gallery
Ya I feel the same.. I would have to take off the tool box every time I load my bikes up.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:12 AM   #24
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverRated View Post
Ya I feel the same.. I would have to take off the tool box every time I load my bikes up.
yeah i would have to take it off to much. i donít really ride at all any more may just sell my bike. and get a few things for the truck.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:14 AM   #25
Banned
4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
4x4jeep's Tacoma Gallery
Nice I need to pick up two of those!
Old 02-04-2012, 09:36 AM   #26
Prerunners Work
PSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PSJ's Tacoma Gallery
For those who have them, are they secure enough for firearms? Also, are they waterproof? The only other lock box option I have seen are the center console lock boxes, which seem half the size of these and they are 100 bucks more? Are there other options I am not aware of?
Old 02-04-2012, 09:52 AM   #27
Desert Warrior
TX RPO is a splendid one to beholdTX RPO is a splendid one to beholdTX RPO is a splendid one to beholdTX RPO is a splendid one to beholdTX RPO is a splendid one to beholdTX RPO is a splendid one to beholdTX RPO is a splendid one to beholdTX RPO is a splendid one to behold

Air Force:
Name: SHANE
TX RPO's Tacoma Gallery
Great addition! I might get one one day... I don't use the storage as it is though lol... all my stuff is under the back seat.. :-)
Old 02-04-2012, 10:45 AM   #28
2011 TX TRD Offroad
Cmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: B.C.
Cmurder's Tacoma Gallery
i just wanted to add my 2 cents ya'll. the box is very well built with heavy duty metal and a strong locking system. now could someone break into it if they wanted, ABSOLUTELY! as many have said before, "a lock keeps an honest person out". the box uses the factory threaded slots from the previous storage compartment so who knows how "strong" those are. and the lock is a normal lock. not some crazy bullet proof locking system here. if the Tuffy box was somehow mounted to the truck frame along with a Fort Knox locking system, I'd say BUY THIS PRODUCT!!

i'm not trying to advertise or sell these things to TW members. it's just a pretty cool larger locking storage system for us with Taco owners. as far as weatherproof? it does NOT have drain holes which would make me think that the company assumes no water would get in it.

i'm keeping my truck mainly stock so i will never have any COOL threads with install pics. so when i got a chance to do one i was kinda happy. the only reason the tuffy box install took so long in the first place was that i kept having to get my iphone out to take pics.

keep truck'n TW.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:46 AM   #29
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmurder View Post
it really is pretty damn pricey$$$$$.. and i already had a slim kobalt toolbox. i don't really even know what i'm going to store in it. if they sold for $75-$100 i bet/know they'd probably sell an insane amount.

fyi. if ya don't have the 12v plug on one side, you can install two of them
I like them because they are a little bigger . My RC has 2 but I can barely fit my towstrap and a extra shackle in one And a few misc. items in the other . . I'd pay like 40-50$ . Don't want to pay $400 to lock up like $100 worth of stuff .
Old 02-04-2012, 11:00 AM   #30
kogary is on a distinguished road
kogary's Tacoma Gallery
Great write up, thanks!

It looks like the perfect size to hold tow straps and misc. tools that if by chance someone where to rip the box out, wouldn't be a huge loss.

I'm thinking that drilling 2 small drain holes might be a good idea?!?! I couldn't tell from the pictures if it is a tight seal or not?!?!?
Old 02-04-2012, 11:04 AM   #31
2011 TX TRD Offroad
Cmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Cmurder's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kogary View Post
Great write up, thanks!

It looks like the perfect size to hold tow straps and misc. tools that if by chance someone where to rip the box out, wouldn't be a huge loss.

I'm thinking that drilling 2 small drain holes might be a good idea?!?! I couldn't tell from the pictures if it is a tight seal or not?!?!?
It comes with weatherstrip you can add around the door and box. Drain holes probably wouldn't hurt anything at all. If fact multiple drain holes might help wet stuff dry even better with the ventilation driving down the highway.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:08 AM   #32
kogary's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
It comes with weatherstrip you can add around the door and box. Drain holes probably wouldn't hurt anything at all. If fact multiple drain holes might help wet stuff dry even better with the ventilation driving down the highway.

Good point about the added benefit of drain holes.

Do you have a link to where you purchased it from?

Thanks!
- Gary
Old 02-04-2012, 11:19 AM   #33
Tasty fish in a tortilla
SalmonTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSalmonTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSalmonTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSalmonTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSalmonTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSalmonTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSalmonTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSalmonTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSalmonTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSalmonTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSalmonTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andrew
SalmonTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I have one of those Tuffy boxes and a Console Vault. The angled top of the Tuffy box is kind of a bummer.

I like to be sure that my stuff remains my stuff.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:24 AM   #35
2011 TX TRD Offroad

Cmurder's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph View Post
Murph beat me to it. The Free Shipping sold me.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:55 AM   #36
kogary's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph View Post
Awesome, thanks for the link!

- Gary
Old 02-04-2012, 08:51 PM   #38
2011 TX TRD Offroad

Cmurder's Tacoma Gallery
bonus footage found in pic #5 you can see my hose clamp tailgate antitheft mod

thank you TW
Old 02-04-2012, 09:48 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalmonTaco View Post
The angled top of the Tuffy box is kind of a bummer.

I like to be sure that my stuff remains my stuff.
yeah i think a flatter top would be nicer. and x2 i like to try my best to keep my stuff my stuff!
Quote:
bonus footage found in pic #5 you can see my hose clamp tailgate antitheft mod

thank you TW
did you do both sides? if not i think you did the wrong side. lol
Old 02-05-2012, 05:12 AM   #40
oneshot808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneshot808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneshot808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneshot808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneshot808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneshot808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneshot808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneshot808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneshot808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneshot808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneshot808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

oneshot808's Tacoma Gallery
My coworker has it on his taco but the hindges are starting to rust really badly since he surfs every week. if they reduced the price I would get it it's pretty nice overall . I'll take a pic of the rust when I get time..