LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Tuffy Box install with pics

Old 02-24-2012, 07:53 PM   #41
Vito Corleone is on a distinguished road

Vito Corleone's Tacoma Gallery
I just got mine yesterday and installed it today. Super easy install. Took all of about 5 minutes. I have been wanting one for a while but could not find a really good deal on it as I am too cheap to pay full retail for anything. I finally bought it from www.trdparts4u.com. for $179.00 with free shipping. A little more than I really wanted to pay but I could not find one anywhere any cheaper. The cheapest one on E-Bay was more than that plus shipping. It came with weather seals but I have not tested it yet to see how well they work but so far I would give it thumbs up. Seems pretty secure. Ofcourse, if someone wants in it bad enough, they will get in it but consider the following. First, they would have to think or know there was something in there worth taking. Second, they would have to open the tailgate, open the tonneau cover, move the bed extender, get a crowbar or some type of pry bar and pry the door open. AND, they would have to do all of this before being caught so I think whatever I put in there is relatively safe.
Old 02-25-2012, 01:37 PM   #42
2011 TX TRD Offroad
Cmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: B.C.
Cmurder's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito Corleone View Post
I just got mine yesterday and installed it today. Super easy install. Took all of about 5 minutes. I have been wanting one for a while but could not find a really good deal on it as I am too cheap to pay full retail for anything. I finally bought it from www.trdparts4u.com. for $179.00 with free shipping. A little more than I really wanted to pay but I could not find one anywhere any cheaper. The cheapest one on E-Bay was more than that plus shipping. It came with weather seals but I have not tested it yet to see how well they work but so far I would give it thumbs up. Seems pretty secure. Ofcourse, if someone wants in it bad enough, they will get in it but consider the following. First, they would have to think or know there was something in there worth taking. Second, they would have to open the tailgate, open the tonneau cover, move the bed extender, get a crowbar or some type of pry bar and pry the door open. AND, they would have to do all of this before being caught so I think whatever I put in there is relatively safe.
exactly what i was thinking. like i said before, the longest part of the installation was stopping to take pics before each step. and i feel it's pretty secure too. it's not a bank vault. but it's pretty nice.
Old 02-25-2012, 01:39 PM   #43
2011 TX TRD Offroad
Cmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Cmurder's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TACO721 View Post
yeah i think a flatter top would be nicer. and x2 i like to try my best to keep my stuff my stuff!

did you do both sides? if not i think you did the wrong side. lol
you can only install one on each side if you don't have the 115/400 bed power outlet.
Old 02-25-2012, 01:41 PM   #44
Mall Crawler
MrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Dean'o
MrGrimm's Tacoma Gallery
I want to eventually get one of these but I am afraid it might hit my high clearance bumper.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:26 PM   #45
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverRated View Post
Nice! I might get this to transport my handguns... (stupid California laws)
Just go to Staples and pick up a $15 briefcase with a combo lock.
PC12026.1 merely requires a "secure locking container" to satisfy both PC12025 and PC626.9. PC626.9 does not apply to long guns for school zones, but Federal law does require long guns to be locked in a school zone (in every state!)... but I've never heard of anyone getting jacked for a long gun in a school zone.

When a gun-store employee tells you that your gun MUST be in the trunk, ask him to show you the written law. The only thing he will be able to show you is that the trunk satisfies the state's requirement for being a secure, locking container.

Gun stores, cops, and even the DOJ are the worst sources for information on California gun laws.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:21 PM   #46
Shaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Shaggs's Tacoma Gallery
badass mod, but think I'm goin with Console Vault
Old 04-12-2012, 09:46 PM   #47
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggs View Post
badass mod, but think I'm goin with Console Vault
Unless it is a separate, removable locking container, it is not legal for transportation of a handgun in California.

PC12026.1 and PC12026.2 specifically state "Secure locking container other than the glove box or the utility compartment."

A locking container IN the console or glove box is legal.
A modification to the console or glove box that MAKE them locking containers is not legal.

Misdemeanor first offense, felony 2nd offense.
First offense is a wobbler... if you are suspected of being on your way to commit another crime it becomes a felony 1st offense charge.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:47 PM   #48

Unless you have a valid concealed carry permit.
Then you're good to go with or without a locking container, and the console vault would be a perfectly legal method of securing the gun when you are not in the vehicle.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:57 AM   #49
All Glory To The Hypnotoad
ziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ziggynagy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Unless it is a separate, removable locking container, it is not legal for transportation of a handgun in California.

PC12026.1 and PC12026.2 specifically state "Secure locking container other than the glove box or the utility compartment."

A locking container IN the console or glove box is legal.
A modification to the console or glove box that MAKE them locking containers is not legal.

Misdemeanor first offense, felony 2nd offense.
First offense is a wobbler... if you are suspected of being on your way to commit another crime it becomes a felony 1st offense charge.
Rich, wouldn't the console vault be considered a "locking container in the console" since it is self-contained unit? A modification to the existing console sounds like adding a lock to the lid or similar.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:37 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggynagy View Post
Rich, wouldn't the console vault be considered a "locking container in the console" since it is self-contained unit? A modification to the existing console sounds like adding a lock to the lid or similar.
I'm not comfortable with it.

Considering it's a felony wobbler, the arresting officer would likely arrest and book as a felony. The DA would charge as misdemeanor if it's a first offense and no other criminal activity at the time of arrest.
But at this point, you've got a $600 towing/impound bill, bail (which you do not get back if you use a bondsman), and you will need an attorney.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:21 PM   #51
Cain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant future

Cain's Tacoma Gallery
Just use it for your herb. Also be careful installing it as they are very tight fitting and can dent your side very easily. Trust me
Old 05-14-2013, 03:57 PM   #52
Toyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Toyota Truck's Tacoma Gallery
Gonna look for a used one. I wonder how many cans of soda will fit in there.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:16 PM   #53
Faryota is a splendid one to beholdFaryota is a splendid one to beholdFaryota is a splendid one to beholdFaryota is a splendid one to beholdFaryota is a splendid one to beholdFaryota is a splendid one to beholdFaryota is a splendid one to behold

Name: Mic
Faryota's Tacoma Gallery
Nice write up!!!! I like mine...keeps my winch stuff safe!!!
Old 05-14-2013, 06:13 PM   #54
IAFF Local 34 Professional FireFighters
RearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Craig Christ
RearViewMirror's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmurder View Post

fyi. if ya don't have the 12v plug on one side, you can install two of them

You could but damn.... You would have to have a bunch of money laying around. I really do like the box though and you did a good write up.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:14 AM   #55
2011 TX TRD Offroad

Cmurder's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Turner View Post
You could but damn.... You would have to have a bunch of money laying around. I really do like the box though and you did a good write up.
whoa! people reading my write up. I hope it helps if anyone is on the fence about buying one. I'll admit most people don't NEED it (aka. me), but I wanted it. I keep the bed cleats and jumper cables in it for now. I have a baby seat in the back of my truck so it's been handy because it's pretty difficult to fold up or flip down the back seat since the baby car seat is back there. I've had it for about a year now and no leaking at all. I lined the bottom of the box with that spongy material used to line tool boxes. There is a little surface rust on the hinge which is not a big deal for me. I think I mentioned it, but it took longer for me to take the pics and post it than it does for the install.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:47 PM   #57
2011 TX TRD Offroad

Cmurder's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by V5ioV View Post
very nice!
does it have any kind of weather stripping to keep dry?
It comes with weather stripping. You can see it on my last pic. It comes with weather stripping for both sides but I only put it on the moving door part. It's been through plenty of KS rain storms and hasn't leaked at all.
Old 05-25-2013, 02:30 PM   #59
2011 TX TRD Offroad

Cmurder's Tacoma Gallery
here's a close up of the rubber weather stripping. i only put the weather stripping on the door side and it works fine.

Old 05-25-2013, 02:31 PM   #60
2011 TX TRD Offroad

Cmurder's Tacoma Gallery
Pic showing a little surface rust on the hinge. Not a big deal. And just got done power washing. Still no leaks after a year.