1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tuffy Box install with pics

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Cmurder, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Feb 25, 2012 at 1:41 PM
    MrGrimm

MrGrimm Mall Crawler

Member:
    First Name:
    Dean
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2006 Toyota Tacoma 4WD w/TRD Sport Package
    See build page
    I want to eventually get one of these but I am afraid it might hit my high clearance bumper.

2. Feb 25, 2012 at 2:26 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Just go to Staples and pick up a $15 briefcase with a combo lock.
    PC12026.1 merely requires a "secure locking container" to satisfy both PC12025 and PC626.9. PC626.9 does not apply to long guns for school zones, but Federal law does require long guns to be locked in a school zone (in every state!)... but I've never heard of anyone getting jacked for a long gun in a school zone.

When a gun-store employee tells you that your gun MUST be in the trunk, ask him to show you the written law. The only thing he will be able to show you is that the trunk satisfies the state's requirement for being a secure, locking container.

Gun stores, cops, and even the DOJ are the worst sources for information on California gun laws.

3. Apr 12, 2012 at 8:21 PM
    Shaggs

Shaggs Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2012 DoubleCab Long Bed 4x4 TRD Magnetic Gray
    badass mod, but think I'm goin with Console Vault

4. Apr 12, 2012 at 9:46 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Unless it is a separate, removable locking container, it is not legal for transportation of a handgun in California.

PC12026.1 and PC12026.2 specifically state "Secure locking container other than the glove box or the utility compartment."

A locking container IN the console or glove box is legal.
    A modification to the console or glove box that MAKE them locking containers is not legal.

Misdemeanor first offense, felony 2nd offense.
    First offense is a wobbler... if you are suspected of being on your way to commit another crime it becomes a felony 1st offense charge.

5. Apr 12, 2012 at 9:47 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Unless you have a valid concealed carry permit.
    Then you're good to go with or without a locking container, and the console vault would be a perfectly legal method of securing the gun when you are not in the vehicle.

6. Apr 18, 2013 at 6:57 AM
    ziggynagy

ziggynagy All Glory To The Hypnotoad

Member:
    Stoughton, MA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Sport AC 4x4 V6 Auto Tow
    Westin step bars, led dome & map lights, tailgate hoseclamp, BluLogic, MetalMiller emblem, 35 tinted front windows, extra OEM d-rings, WeatherTech front/rear
    Rich, wouldn't the console vault be considered a "locking container in the console" since it is self-contained unit? A modification to the existing console sounds like adding a lock to the lid or similar.

7. Apr 18, 2013 at 7:37 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    I'm not comfortable with it.

Considering it's a felony wobbler, the arresting officer would likely arrest and book as a felony. The DA would charge as misdemeanor if it's a first offense and no other criminal activity at the time of arrest.
    But at this point, you've got a $600 towing/impound bill, bail (which you do not get back if you use a bondsman), and you will need an attorney.

8. Apr 18, 2013 at 8:21 PM
    Cain

Cain Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma
    Chrome don't get you home
    Just use it for your herb. Also be careful installing it as they are very tight fitting and can dent your side very easily. Trust me :(

9. May 14, 2013 at 3:57 PM
    Toyota Truck

Toyota Truck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prerunnner
    Magnaflow Muffler-TSB springs-Nuvi 265wt-aFe pro dry s filter-Husky Liners-Blue dome light-extra d-rings-OME 90000 sport struts-885 coils-N182 shocks-TSB AAL-LR UCAs-procomp black alloy rims- nitto terra grapplers-20% tint
    Gonna look for a used one. I wonder how many cans of soda will fit in there.:cheers:

10. May 14, 2013 at 4:16 PM
    Faryota

Faryota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mic
    Ridgefield, WA.
    Vehicle:
    13, 4x4, long bed, Sport, Debad
    6" BDS lift in front, warn winch, AFE cold air intake & exhaust, Body Armor Rear bumper, Tuffy in bed storage box, DZ bed mat, ARB front bumper & Warn winch w/light kit, Husky floor mats, dash mat,
    Nice write up!!!! I like mine...keeps my winch stuff safe!!!

11. May 14, 2013 at 6:13 PM
    RearViewMirror

RearViewMirror Saw things so much clearer once you... were in my

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2023 Subaru WRX GT

You could but damn.... You would have to have a bunch of money laying around. I really do like the box though and you did a good write up. :thumbsup:

12. May 19, 2013 at 7:14 AM
    Cmurder

Cmurder [OP] 2011 TX TRD Offroad

Member:
    First Name:
    B.C.
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2011 TX TRD Offroad
    nothing cool
    whoa! people reading my write up:D. I hope it helps if anyone is on the fence about buying one. I'll admit most people don't NEED it (aka. me), but I wanted it. I keep the bed cleats and jumper cables in it for now. I have a baby seat in the back of my truck so it's been handy because it's pretty difficult to fold up or flip down the back seat since the baby car seat is back there. I've had it for about a year now and no leaking at all. I lined the bottom of the box with that spongy material used to line tool boxes. There is a little surface rust on the hinge which is not a big deal for me. I think I mentioned it, but it took longer for me to take the pics and post it than it does for the install.

13. May 19, 2013 at 9:38 AM
    V5ioV

V5ioV My drinking team has a wheeling problem

Member:
    First Name:
    V5ioV
    Out n 'bout
    Vehicle:
    '13 Pewp Water Slut
    King 2.5 Rem Resi Ext Travel w/comp adj w/700# springs, TC Uni-Ball UCAs, ARB/OME Dakar Leaf Springs w/ King 2.5 Rem Resi w/comp adj and custm eyelets, Stealth Custom Series F-5 Wheels wrapped on: 285/75/16 Fierce Attitudes, BORA 2.25 wheel spacers, GOODRIDGE extended Brake lines, Triple-6" Double Row LED Light Bars behind lower grill, ATFL MOD, TRD Ball Type Shift Knob, Husky WeatherBeater Floor Liners, 60'' HiLift Xtreme, 4xInnovations Bolt-On Sliders w/Kickout, Spring Hanger Skid, Custom BlackPipe Fabs CMC and custom FYL Bed Rack, CVT Mt. Shasta RTT, Trasharoo, 4xInnovations HiLift Bedside Mounts, 4xInnovations Front Skid Plate, TOYWERX Ghost Raptor thin-lip Satoshi Grill, RedLine Hood Struts, 4xInnovations Transmission Skid and T-Case Skid Plates, Wheelers Rear SuperBumps Bump Stops, All-Pro Off Road U-Bolt Flip Kit, UltraGauge, ARB OBA, Pelfreybilt HC rear Bumper, Rotopax system (Single Mounting Plate and Bed Rail Mounting Plate both with LOX handles.
    very nice!
    does it have any kind of weather stripping to keep dry?

14. May 24, 2013 at 8:47 PM
    Cmurder

Member:
    First Name:
    B.C.
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2011 TX TRD Offroad
    nothing cool
    It comes with weather stripping. You can see it on my last pic. It comes with weather stripping for both sides but I only put it on the moving door part. It's been through plenty of KS rain storms and hasn't leaked at all.

15. May 25, 2013 at 6:27 AM
    V5ioV

V5ioV My drinking team has a wheeling problem

Member:
    First Name:
    V5ioV
    Out n 'bout
    Vehicle:
    '13 Pewp Water Slut
    King 2.5 Rem Resi Ext Travel w/comp adj w/700# springs, TC Uni-Ball UCAs, ARB/OME Dakar Leaf Springs w/ King 2.5 Rem Resi w/comp adj and custm eyelets, Stealth Custom Series F-5 Wheels wrapped on: 285/75/16 Fierce Attitudes, BORA 2.25 wheel spacers, GOODRIDGE extended Brake lines, Triple-6" Double Row LED Light Bars behind lower grill, ATFL MOD, TRD Ball Type Shift Knob, Husky WeatherBeater Floor Liners, 60'' HiLift Xtreme, 4xInnovations Bolt-On Sliders w/Kickout, Spring Hanger Skid, Custom BlackPipe Fabs CMC and custom FYL Bed Rack, CVT Mt. Shasta RTT, Trasharoo, 4xInnovations HiLift Bedside Mounts, 4xInnovations Front Skid Plate, TOYWERX Ghost Raptor thin-lip Satoshi Grill, RedLine Hood Struts, 4xInnovations Transmission Skid and T-Case Skid Plates, Wheelers Rear SuperBumps Bump Stops, All-Pro Off Road U-Bolt Flip Kit, UltraGauge, ARB OBA, Pelfreybilt HC rear Bumper, Rotopax system (Single Mounting Plate and Bed Rail Mounting Plate both with LOX handles.
    right!!! just notice… its actually rubber right?

16. May 25, 2013 at 2:30 PM
    Cmurder

Member:
    First Name:
    B.C.
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2011 TX TRD Offroad
    nothing cool
    here's a close up of the rubber weather stripping. i only put the weather stripping on the door side and it works fine.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
  17. May 25, 2013 at 2:31 PM
    Cmurder

Member:
    First Name:
    B.C.
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2011 TX TRD Offroad
    nothing cool
    Pic showing a little surface rust on the hinge. Not a big deal. And just got done power washing. Still no leaks after a year.

[​IMG]

18. Jun 17, 2014 at 10:25 AM
    RedMosquito

RedMosquito Active Member

Member:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCLB TRD Sport 4x4
    Hey Cmurder - I am reviving this thread, great write up. How is the box holding up after year 2? Also do you know if it will work on the long bed model, I assume the box size is the same for both bed sizes.

Has anyone found anything else they like better?

19. Jun 19, 2014 at 6:21 PM
    TacomaTruckParts

TacomaTruckParts Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    San Gabriel
    Yes, this will work on a long bed....... I bought a Tuffy but never installed it. I might put it up for sale pretty soon on here as I decided to make (in my opinion) a better locking storage box. With the boxes I have made, the power inverter outlet will install behind the locking door. It is bit larger than the Tuffy, and does not have that sloped top, like the Tuffy has. It would also be a perfect place to mount a VIAIR type of compressor, which I plan to do soon. I have made a few prototypes and they are great for storing straps, shackles, snatch-block and a towstrap. I am leaning towards a stainless steel door and hinge, as the door has gotten scratched up and showing signs of rust after a few months of use.

20. Jun 23, 2014 at 8:01 PM
    Cmurder

Member:
    First Name:
    B.C.
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2011 TX TRD Offroad
    nothing cool
    Thread revive indeed. I'll take some pics. Guess this thread needs a 2 year update. I think the hinge has a little surface rust looking stuff. I love it so far. Ive mostly used it for storing my Rigid Drill, Driver, battery and battery charger. I could store it in the back of my double cab under a blanket or something. But i use the Tuffy Box for valuable stuff. I even leave my tool box unlocked because id rather somebody just open it rather than bust it. I keep stuff like gloves, batteries, couple hand tools, and my main thing is a ratchet bar for securing stuff in the bed.

Could i live without the Tuffy Box? Absolutly. But i wanted one and i like it.

Products Discussed in

To Top