1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Remote Start for 2012 Tacos

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TitansWycheck89, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Nov 25, 2012 at 4:13 PM
    TXPROMAN

TXPROMAN Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Martin
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2012 TX PRO TACOMA
    I called the dealer 10/11/12. Still NO remote start for 2012 tacoma:mad:

2. Nov 25, 2012 at 4:17 PM
    BostonBilly

BostonBilly Well-Known Member

Member:
    Easton
    Vehicle:
    2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
  3. Nov 25, 2012 at 4:18 PM
    t_e

t_e Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    miami,fl
    I found clifford 570.4x (pretty much the same as viper 5901) for $200 online new and had a buddy who knows his stuff at best buy install for $99.

Oh and its totally worth it cause its so hot when i get out of work i leave the ac full on and remote start it like 7 mins before i leave.

4. Nov 25, 2012 at 4:32 PM
    catgrader

catgrader Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jack
    maine
    Do all the new v6 tacomas go to 1500 RPM when they start? and what is is doing to the tranny if you wait about a minute but still at a high rpm?

5. Nov 25, 2012 at 4:44 PM
    TXPROMAN

Member:
    First Name:
    Martin
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2012 TX PRO TACOMA
    He got it to work on the 2012 tacoma ? He can make some good money here in upstate ny . No one here can do it.

6. Nov 25, 2012 at 4:58 PM
    creedler

creedler Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Eugene, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Stock for now
    Old build in sig
    I'm sure you have check out a few car audio shops in town, but i find in hard to believe that nobody can install remote start in a 2012. I had my friend install the viper 5901 in my 2012. What have the techs told you about why they can't install them?

7. Nov 25, 2012 at 5:10 PM
    TXPROMAN

Member:
    First Name:
    Martin
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2012 TX PRO TACOMA
    Toyota only does oem. I'm in the sticks up here. No one around here. I will have to drive 2HRS to have some do it.:(

8. Nov 26, 2012 at 8:54 AM
    thairannosaurus

thairannosaurus Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD Pro
    AC drain mod, interior lights, tonneau cover, avid light bar, N2 remote start, power tailgate lock
    update: i got the 5901 installed on my tacoma. it's awesome! especially since i live in south texas where it hovers around 100 and my truck's been sitting out in the sun. convenient to get in and have it nice and chilly when it's blistering outside.

I got my installed at best buy ended up being around 600 something for alarm, some bypass hardware and installation. so not too terrible considering OP was gonna pay 600 for toyota's alarm. the only thing is i had the toyota lojack thing and the gps stopped working so i think the installer may have disconnected it when he did the install. need to get back to them on that. other than that, one of my favorite purchases for my 2012.

9. Dec 30, 2012 at 10:53 PM
    Amys2012namedTOYA

Amys2012namedTOYA Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Omaha, Ne
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Tacoma
    Self installed Remote Start, and dealer added Cruise Control, self installed 6 disc factory with dual 4-way 6 1/2 door speakers, power accoustic tweeters, and 6x9 rockford foskate prime in the back powered by a dual 400 watt amp.
    I installed a remote starter on my wifes 2012 Tacoma. After 3 weeks of researching how to install a unit like this I started the truck with the Ultra Start 1272 XR PRO out of the box after making all of the connections. I researched correct way to do this by reading what others have done wrong, or right. I decided to make first post on Tacoma World forums EVER !!!
    This site has been such a great help to me, and I find joy in helping other people. If anyone has any questions I would be more than happy to try to answer them. I am not a best buy installer or anything, but I feel I did a better job than best buy because of how I installed it.
    My system had an internal relay revert a wire to second ignition, by default say the if the battery ever went dead or what not. Well you could program the system to use that as a second starter wire as well. I didn't know if hooking a starter wire with the ignition wire from the start was going to work right, and if the battery ever went dead then that wire would revert back ignition only anyways:eek:. So it was time fore me to learn how to Wire a relay.:confused: The remote starter only has 1 starter wire so you need a relay to make 2 starter wires for the remote starter to operate correctly, and your vehicle as well.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/MossMotorsCom
    In the search channel field just type in relays. There are 3 videos that will come up for moss. If you are trying to do one of these on your Tacoma I would advise learning what a relay is, and why you need it, and the most important thing HOW IT WORKS

Here I learned that a relay is just a magnetic switch with 1 prong grounded, another prong has 12 volts running into it, another prong has your starter 2 wire only connected, and the last prong has your starter 1 wire from your vehicle, and your starter 1 wire from your remote starter.

The place I bought the remote starter said just connect the 2 starter wires together to the remote starter. So I asked myself why does our truck have 2 starter wires in the first place if I can just connect both of them together then wouldnt there be only 1 and maybe 2 times thicker ? After doing some reading some people actually had mechanical failures who connected both starter wires together while doing there remote starters. I guess some starter wires have something to to with the transmission, just like the ignition has to do with the engine timing and spark.

I chose to leave the ignition 2 wire of the remote starter to its default ignition 2 so I would not damage my engine or transmission down the road. I also chose to wire a relay for a second starter wire add-on.

My Ultra Start 1272 XR PRO has what is called a virtual tach. Tach is your system measuring the voltage of your electrical compenants to know the engine is started and to stop cranking the starter. The older systems all have a wire tach, and do not have a virtual tach. My system is supposed to measure the voltage from the time I hit the button with virtual tach, but I dont know how reliable this virtual tach is so my newer system has both. Because I dont know how reliable this virtual tach is I wired the tach wire. From the time I hit the button on the remote I know it is being monitored through that wire. The remote starter should NOT grind my starter damaging the teeth on my starter, and flywheel.

The following link is where I got vehicle specific wiring. AND A PICTURE WITH arrows pointing to and naming the wires as well.:bowdown: I studied the picture for 3 or 4 days before I got the bright idea and courage to print it off and disable the the interior in the truck and take a look. It even tells you how to !!!. The foot-rest just pops off which it doesnt tell you, and next to that foot-rest there is a plastic cap screw that screws onto a stud. You have to remove the foot-rest to get to the plastice screw. What puzzled me here first was how to get the foot-rest off without breaking it. The foot rest just pops off I dont remember where I read that off of but probably this site. The picture shows where the foot-rest was, and the cover next to it removed. After the foot-rest is removed, unscrew the plastic cap screw and just pull straight toward you on that side cover. Don't forget the screws behind your steering wheel Before you can finally pull the battery cables. I connected all of my wires with the battery cables disconnected. I also verified the information on The 12 volt.com with a few other websites.

I also used masking tape to lable my remote starter wires with their corresponding Tacoma Wires. This was my first time doing this. I have wired radios, and speakers and such. But I have never wired a remote starter before.
    Let me know if you have questions, and also if my post helps somebody I would like to hear as well. If information on how I wired my relay is needed I can try to post that as well, but just like remote starters I am new to this forum so I am finding my way around.

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp~TID~130004

:)
    Thanks,
    Brad

Products Discussed in

To Top