LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Aluminum Sliders?

Old 02-04-2012, 02:45 PM   #1
g34rh34d is one of the sharper tools in the shedg34rh34d is one of the sharper tools in the shedg34rh34d is one of the sharper tools in the shedg34rh34d is one of the sharper tools in the shedg34rh34d is one of the sharper tools in the shedg34rh34d is one of the sharper tools in the shedg34rh34d is one of the sharper tools in the shedg34rh34d is one of the sharper tools in the shedg34rh34d is one of the sharper tools in the shedg34rh34d is one of the sharper tools in the shedg34rh34d is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: Avionics
g34rh34d's Tacoma Gallery
Aluminum Sliders?

Anyone consider Aluminum sliders? Obviously you would use a decent thick walled aluminum tube (Square or Round) and build them just like any of the normal sliders.

I was talking to my neighbor today who does a lot of aluminum custom Gas tanks for diesel trucks using the spare wheel well. (Very cool BTW.) I broached the subject with him on the idea, and honestly for the light amount of off-roading I would do anymore this may be a nice option. We could purchase some nice 1/4" wall aluminum tube from the local aluminum supplier, and then use a 1/4-3/8" L angle for mount points.

The idea being that these would be stronger than just nerf bars or step tubes, and give you a 75% solution for mild off-roading, yet save some weight.

I think the major considerations would be dissimilar metals oxidation between the frame and the L angle, or possibly the aluminum turning dull, unless they were painted or powder coated.

Has anyone ever considered it/made any?

Pros/cons?
Old 02-04-2012, 02:48 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I would think they would be more prone to gouging than the steel ones.
Old 02-04-2012, 03:04 PM   #3
Professional Goofball
zul is a splendid one to beholdzul is a splendid one to beholdzul is a splendid one to beholdzul is a splendid one to beholdzul is a splendid one to beholdzul is a splendid one to beholdzul is a splendid one to beholdzul is a splendid one to behold
zul's Tacoma Gallery
If you get decently thick aluminum I believe it would hold the truck off of rocks, but it would gouge and scrape like nobody's business. I doubt even a thick bed liner or powdercoat would keep aluminum with a bunch of weight on it from gouging.

Now if you really want to save weight without sacrificing strength, have your buddy fab up some sliders out of Titanium!
Old 02-05-2012, 05:58 AM   #4
g34rh34d is one of the sharper tools in the shedg34rh34d is one of the sharper tools in the shedg34rh34d is one of the sharper tools in the shedg34rh34d is one of the sharper tools in the shedg34rh34d is one of the sharper tools in the shedg34rh34d is one of the sharper tools in the shedg34rh34d is one of the sharper tools in the shedg34rh34d is one of the sharper tools in the shedg34rh34d is one of the sharper tools in the shedg34rh34d is one of the sharper tools in the shedg34rh34d is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
I would think they would be more prone to gouging than the steel ones.
Yea, that is a good point.. One or two good rubs and they may end up looking like string cheese. I wonder if some 6061-T6 would be resistant enough for some occasional brushes against the rocks. I need to look into the properties a bit more.

Thanks!
Old 02-05-2012, 06:03 AM   #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by zul View Post
Now if you really want to save weight without sacrificing strength, have your buddy fab up some sliders out of Titanium!
Lol yea, in retrospect aluminum may just be a bad idea.. But that is why I figured I'd at least get a discussion going on the topic.

Now Titanium.... hmmm. lol!

http://www.titaniumtubing.com/
Old 02-05-2012, 06:30 AM   #6
AMS1(AW), USN retired
Twizter68 has much to be proud ofTwizter68 has much to be proud ofTwizter68 has much to be proud ofTwizter68 has much to be proud ofTwizter68 has much to be proud ofTwizter68 has much to be proud ofTwizter68 has much to be proud ofTwizter68 has much to be proud ofTwizter68 has much to be proud of
Navy: Retired AMS1(AW)
Name: Bill
Twizter68's Tacoma Gallery
For what you would spend making one set out of titanium, you could buy 4 sets of steel sliders...and the titanium ones would not last any longer than good quality steel ones. It's not the wonder metal some folks think it is.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:12 AM   #7
badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shed
badger's Tacoma Gallery
If you are going to do a lot of actual rock sliding, then steel is better because it's harder. For the other 90% of us that just want protection without a ton of weight, aluminum would be great. You can match the strength of steel at much lower weight. The tensile strength of 6061-t6 is 45K PSI, typical low carbon steel hot rolled is 47K and typical low carbon cold rolled is 53K. I would go thicker on the aluminum by maybe 25%. You wouldn't see much strength advantage over steel unless you are talking 4130 (chromoly) or similar. I would powdercoat it to prevent corrosion. Aluminum weighs 1/3 of steel, so even with a slightly thicker wall you're talking a weight savings of around 60%.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:15 AM   #8
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
I'd go at least 3/8" wall if it's even made. Also use square tube for the mounting legs. If you aren't coming down on rocks ever and just light use I think they would work. I just wouldn't hi lift off them if you used 1/4" wall.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:16 AM   #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twizter68 View Post
For what you would spend making one set out of titanium, you could buy 4 sets of steel sliders...and the titanium ones would not last any longer than good quality steel ones. It's not the wonder metal some folks think it is.
Yes, I realize that - I was actually kidding. The reality is for the cost of materials (aluminum or other) it would cost the same if not more than to just buy a set already made up. (That is the reality, and probably the way to go!)

Thanks
Old 02-06-2012, 04:21 AM   #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by badger View Post
If you are going to do a lot of actual rock sliding, then steel is better because it's harder. For the other 90% of us that just want protection without a ton of weight, aluminum would be great. You can match the strength of steel at much lower weight. The tensile strength of 6061-t6 is 45K PSI, typical low carbon steel hot rolled is 47K and typical low carbon cold rolled is 53K. I would go thicker on the aluminum by maybe 25%. You wouldn't see much strength advantage over steel unless you are talking 4130 (chromoly) or similar. I would powdercoat it to prevent corrosion. Aluminum weighs 1/3 of steel, so even with a slightly thicker wall you're talking a weight savings of around 60%.
You touch on my original thought. I don't wheel much at all anymore, the idea for my use would be for camping and the yearly hunting trip, just for some added rocker protection.

Thanks for providing the tensile strength data!
Old 02-06-2012, 04:24 AM   #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
I'd go at least 3/8" wall if it's even made. Also use square tube for the mounting legs. If you aren't coming down on rocks ever and just light use I think they would work. I just wouldn't hi lift off them if you used 1/4" wall.
That makes sense. If you were to do some out of Aluminum, you certainly would have to beef up the wall thickness to account for the softer material. IF I were to make some, regardless of the material, they would have to provide enough strength to use a high lift jack.

Thanks
Old 02-06-2012, 05:50 AM   #12
Something about something
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Also with alum. sliders you would have to make them bolt on. Cant weld aluminum to steel right?
Old 02-06-2012, 06:11 AM   #13
Weapon Mechanic
Maticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Ranger, Firearms Instructor, Firearms Inspector
Maticuno's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Runner View Post
Also with alum. sliders you would have to make them bolt on. Cant weld aluminum to steel right?
This was my thought. You would have to build them in some way that they would bolt to steel mounting brackets welded to the frame. Maybe some smaller diameter steel tubing that would slide inside the aluminum tubing and then bolts go through both.

If we're talking unconventional materials, go with aluminum main body with tungsten carbide added to the sides that would actually make contact with the rocks.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:03 AM   #14
badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shed
badger's Tacoma Gallery
Properly designed you would not need more than 1/4" wall. Where people miss the boat is by copying a steel design in aluminum. When you change the material you need to adjust the design. More extensive use of gussets, etc. You will need extra attention at the welded joints. There is no reason that you can't build an equal strength slider at a 60% weight savings.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:06 AM   #15
G scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Garrett
G scott04's Tacoma Gallery
This is brilliant! bolt on aluminum sliders. I only want sliders to dent door flingers anyway, mall crawlin ftw.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:13 AM   #16
Something about something
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by G scott04 View Post
This is brilliant! bolt on aluminum sliders. I only want sliders to dent door flingers anyway, mall crawlin ftw.
thats what tube steps and running boards are for
Old 02-06-2012, 10:14 AM   #17
The Sticker Guy
ruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ruggedT's Tacoma Gallery
I made a set of aluminum skids. Everyone I spoke to about them said they wouldnt hold up at all, iv been bashing them since. 1/4" t6061 plate. Skip to 4:00 in the vid

http://www.youtube.com/embed/Q3K1WfWi85s
Old 02-07-2012, 04:24 AM   #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Runner View Post
My intention was a bolt on slider regardless of the type. I prefer that. And you are correct, you cannot weld aluminum to steel.

Thanks
Old 02-07-2012, 04:29 AM   #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by G scott04 View Post
Aluminum...: It ain't just for the malls anymore...

LOL
Old 02-07-2012, 09:00 AM   #20
badger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruggedT View Post
I made a set of aluminum skids. Everyone I spoke to about them said they wouldnt hold up at all, iv been bashing them since. 1/4" t6061 plate. Skip to 4:00 in the vid

http://www.youtube.com/embed/Q3K1WfWi85s

They said that because they have never done it. Opinions don't require experience. I've used aluminum in skids and bumpers.