1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

A-Trac

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TacoCo, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Dec 4, 2008 at 7:24 AM
    TacoCo

TacoCo [OP] Aspiring wrench monkey

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off-Road DC V6 Magnetic Gray
    Snugtop XV Shell, Yakima Rack, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed, Michelin AT2's, Partially Debadged, HID conversion, Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler, Rear leaf spring TSB, Foglights always on Mod, URD Short Throw Shifter, Toytec Coilovers on the way!
    So, How am I to tell if it's on? I push the button... It's lit either way, and hard to tell if it's depressed or not. Anyways, I finally had a decent day to test it out with some snow on the ground, had my rear end fishtailing all over the place, but I couldn't get it to engage. :confused:

2. Dec 4, 2008 at 7:26 AM
    hashemg

hashemg Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern MA
    Vehicle:
    08 Black Reg Cab 4x4
    3" Lift, Camburg Coil-Overs and UCA, 3" All Pro Leafs and OME rear shock, 33X12.5R17 Mickey Thompson on teflon coated American racing rims, Black headlight mod, Black taillight mod, tourneau cover, cargo divider, door sil protecors.
    ummm...did you have in 4WD??? read the manual...i think it may even have to be in 4Lo. but A-TRAC is for the front tires. so if the 4x4 wasn't engaged it won't engage

3. Dec 4, 2008 at 7:28 AM
    TacoCo

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Snugtop XV Shell, Yakima Rack, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed, Michelin AT2's, Partially Debadged, HID conversion, Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler, Rear leaf spring TSB, Foglights always on Mod, URD Short Throw Shifter, Toytec Coilovers on the way!
    I was in 2WD, otherwise, it would have been tough to get it to fishtail. It doesn't work in 4WD.

4. Dec 4, 2008 at 7:41 AM
    fasn8dave

fasn8dave Hey guys watch THIS!

Member:
    Lewisville, NC
    Vehicle:
    06 DC 4x4
    3" Suspension Lift Custom Wheels 265 / 75 / 16 Nitto Terra Grappler Tires (32") Hard Bed Cover Front Bull Bar / Skid Plate Tinted Glass Header Mount GPS Billet Grille
    A-TRAC is a front wheel stabilizing function. On slippery surfaces, it helps you steer instead of "pushing" straight, even though the wheels are turned.

Mine only works in 4LO. This is my FJ Cruiser, I dno't have it on my taco.

*EDIT : Damn you got me curious... I could have sworn I used it on the beach recently but can't remember if I was in 4HI or 4 LO for that instance. Also it doens't make sense because 4LO is AWEFUL if it's slippery....

So scratch that - I know it's a 4WD function, but not sure which gear...

5. Dec 4, 2008 at 7:43 AM
    Demoncleaner

Demoncleaner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    05 Dcab 6spd 4x4 TRD Sport w/Tow
    TRD exhaust Homemade bed mat & bed extender, front Drings, Short clutch throw, Summer: Stock 17's Winter: Blizzaks on 16' black steelies
    4lo only.

You paid an couple extra K's for all the Off-road goodies, get out the manual and get to know your 30K+ investment.

6. Dec 4, 2008 at 7:47 AM
    TacoCo

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    I think I'm confusing terms... TRAC is what I meant to refer to. I've read the manual, but it's not exactly well written.

7. Dec 4, 2008 at 8:06 AM
    hashemg

Member:
    Eastern MA
    Vehicle:
    08 Black Reg Cab 4x4
    3" Lift, Camburg Coil-Overs and UCA, 3" All Pro Leafs and OME rear shock, 33X12.5R17 Mickey Thompson on teflon coated American racing rims, Black headlight mod, Black taillight mod, tourneau cover, cargo divider, door sil protecors.
    so if u were fishtailing...then ur trac was probably working......was the light blinking??? that means it detects the truck slipping and is trying to grab traction

8. Dec 4, 2008 at 8:27 AM
    TacoCo

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    No beeping or blinking light. I was referring to the A-TRAC button being lit, which I now realize wouldn't make a difference in whether the TRAC activates or not.

So, I guess the issue is this... I stepped on the gas while stopped on an icy, snowy incline in 2WD, just to see what TRAC would do. The truck started fishtailing, and TRAC hadn't kicked in, so I took my foot off of the gas. Maybe I didn't give it enough time to react? I don't know. I'm just trying to figure out some of the bells and whistles on this thing that I haven't had an opportunity to use yet.

9. Dec 4, 2008 at 8:33 AM
    hashemg

Member:
    Eastern MA
    Vehicle:
    08 Black Reg Cab 4x4
    Ok so that settles that hahaha

Products Discussed in

To Top