Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

A-Trac

Old 12-04-2008, 07:24 AM   #1
Aspiring wrench monkey
TacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of light

TacoCo's Tacoma Gallery
A-Trac

So, How am I to tell if it's on? I push the button... It's lit either way, and hard to tell if it's depressed or not. Anyways, I finally had a decent day to test it out with some snow on the ground, had my rear end fishtailing all over the place, but I couldn't get it to engage.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:26 AM   #2
hashemg has a spectacular aura abouthashemg has a spectacular aura about

hashemg's Tacoma Gallery
ummm...did you have in 4WD??? read the manual...i think it may even have to be in 4Lo. but A-TRAC is for the front tires. so if the 4x4 wasn't engaged it won't engage
Old 12-04-2008, 07:28 AM   #3
Aspiring wrench monkey
TacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of light

TacoCo's Tacoma Gallery
I was in 2WD, otherwise, it would have been tough to get it to fishtail. It doesn't work in 4WD.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:41 AM   #4
Hey guys watch THIS!
fasn8dave is a splendid one to beholdfasn8dave is a splendid one to beholdfasn8dave is a splendid one to beholdfasn8dave is a splendid one to beholdfasn8dave is a splendid one to beholdfasn8dave is a splendid one to beholdfasn8dave is a splendid one to behold

fasn8dave's Tacoma Gallery
A-TRAC is a front wheel stabilizing function. On slippery surfaces, it helps you steer instead of "pushing" straight, even though the wheels are turned.

Mine only works in 4LO. This is my FJ Cruiser, I dno't have it on my taco.

*EDIT : Damn you got me curious... I could have sworn I used it on the beach recently but can't remember if I was in 4HI or 4 LO for that instance. Also it doens't make sense because 4LO is AWEFUL if it's slippery....

So scratch that - I know it's a 4WD function, but not sure which gear...
Old 12-04-2008, 07:43 AM   #5
Demoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud of

Demoncleaner's Tacoma Gallery
4lo only.

You paid an couple extra K's for all the Off-road goodies, get out the manual and get to know your 30K+ investment.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:47 AM   #6
Aspiring wrench monkey

TacoCo's Tacoma Gallery
I think I'm confusing terms... TRAC is what I meant to refer to. I've read the manual, but it's not exactly well written.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:06 AM   #7
hashemg has a spectacular aura abouthashemg has a spectacular aura about

hashemg's Tacoma Gallery
so if u were fishtailing...then ur trac was probably working......was the light blinking??? that means it detects the truck slipping and is trying to grab traction
Old 12-04-2008, 08:27 AM   #8
Aspiring wrench monkey

TacoCo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hashemg View Post
so if u were fishtailing...then ur trac was probably working......was the light blinking??? that means it detects the truck slipping and is trying to grab traction
No beeping or blinking light. I was referring to the A-TRAC button being lit, which I now realize wouldn't make a difference in whether the TRAC activates or not.

So, I guess the issue is this... I stepped on the gas while stopped on an icy, snowy incline in 2WD, just to see what TRAC would do. The truck started fishtailing, and TRAC hadn't kicked in, so I took my foot off of the gas. Maybe I didn't give it enough time to react? I don't know. I'm just trying to figure out some of the bells and whistles on this thing that I haven't had an opportunity to use yet.