1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Found a solution to fogging aftermarket headlights

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by VPolish, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Feb 5, 2012 at 6:56 PM
    VPolish

VPolish [OP] Canadian Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Reg
    Ontario, CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD Blue
    I got these 50w hid projector headlights from ebay to replace my old ones of my 05 Tacoma. I installed them and they looked great. This was early January and here in Canada we have snow freezing rain and -35C weather. After a couple of days I started to get some fogging inside the lens (see picture one). I thought it would go away when I had the lights on for a while but no it just got worse. I took them off and hair blowed the inside until dry then silicone the whole seem between the lens and the housing. It was better but it started again. I did some research on the net and found out a lot of people had the same problem. Some people even drilled some small hole in the font bottom to rectify the problem. I wasn't ready to go that far so I thought about it for a couple of weeks and came up with a plan. The reason they fog inside is that the interior temperature is different than the outside. One thing was that the headlight has 4 white led peanut bulb between the park light and the orange daylight bulb. This is the bottom area of the headlight and this is mostly where the fogging happened. I decided to replace the 4 leds in each headlight by 4 regular orange peanut bulbs (same as the park lights, just take out and replace). By doing this those little light bulbs produce heat compare to no heat from the leds. This might be enough to fix the problem but I went one step further by removing the 2 plugs covering the vent holes behind each headlights. I went to Canadian Tire and bought 2 feet of black tubing the same size as the plug. I also got 4 x 90s of pvc pipe and some glue. If you look at the photos you can see what I did.I replaced those caps on all 4 vents by 4 pipe tubes like the bottom photo. This way it let cold air inside at the bottom and hot air out at the top. The solution is to seal the front so no water gets in and let the inside breath. You then have a fog free headlight. I have this set up for over 3 weeks now, went to the car wash a few time and we had crazy weather from warm to cold to warm again and not a trace of moisture. I hope this helps some people out there because I know I was getting really frustrated about the fogging issue and there was no solutions out there. Please note that pictures were taken with park lights only.
    Later Reg

100_0607.jpg
    100_0630.jpg
    100_0639.jpg
    100_0642.jpg
    100_0641.jpg
    100_0623.jpg
    100_0615.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Feb 5, 2012 at 7:02 PM
    Fractured

Fractured FPS-a-holic

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    NOR*Cal
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM DCSB 4x4
    TRD wheels, TRD cat back exhaust, ScanGauge 2, Debadged, Avid sliders, UWS bed box w/automatic LED light, Led Interior/Reverse/Lic. Plate lights, Yellow Fogs, Flyzeye Light, Color matched grill, Rearview mirror relocate bracket, Power Sliding rear window, Plasti-dipped bumper/"T" emblem
    Clever.

Have you verified that it works?

3. Feb 5, 2012 at 7:02 PM
    dYL0n

dYL0n أنا لست الإسلامي

Member:
    First Name:
    Dyl0n
    New Orleans, LA
    Vehicle:
    17TRDORDCSBQSJBLKBRO2SPECU1.04
    1.04. Kbro2s. ICONS.
    OR, you could just apply a silicone bead to the gap between the housing and the lens. I like your idea though.

4. Feb 5, 2012 at 7:03 PM
    Noslow100

Noslow100 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    VA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 4x4
    Toytec 3 Inch lift kit with Bilstein 5100's, and more
    Good job. Keep us posted on the long term performance. How is the light output on those projectors?

5. Feb 5, 2012 at 7:13 PM
    VPolish

Member:
    First Name:
    Reg
    Ontario, CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD Blue
    Amazing on the output. I have the 6000 which are the whitest light. I might have to lower the adjustment because some people who are driving cars (lower to the ground) are flashing me. I feel a lot safer driving at night.

6. Feb 5, 2012 at 7:14 PM
    VPolish

Member:
    First Name:
    Reg
    Ontario, CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD Blue
    I forgot to say that in my message but I tried that the first time and it did not help.

7. Feb 5, 2012 at 7:17 PM
    TiMe

TiMe Well-Known Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    05 Dbl Cab 4x4
    6" Fabtech with coilovers 33" nitto mud grapplers
    Bought some bhlm lights off eBay (revotec ones since everyone said they were the best) and one just started fogging up last week. I even ran silicone around the edge of each light before install. Guess I gotta figure something else out. Might give this a shot....

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.

Products Discussed in

To Top