Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Tonneau Covers-need your advice!!

Old 07-09-2007, 03:17 PM   #1
sataco is on a distinguished road

Army: Infantry Scout then mechanic
sataco's Tacoma Gallery
Tonneau Covers-need your advice!!

hey guys i am looking real hard at this cover for my taco, place close to the house has it for 609.99 installed. anybody ever dealt with this type lid before?
i like the abs black plastic more than the painted ones. function before fashion is my motto.
http://www.armorlid.com/features-benefits.htm
Old 07-09-2007, 03:28 PM   #2
SC Member
sdupp is on a distinguished road

sdupp's Tacoma Gallery
I have the Undercover brand and really like it.. You can see pictures of it in the Member Galleries > sdupp
Old 07-11-2007, 12:14 PM   #3
Sneakers is on a distinguished road
Sneakers's Tacoma Gallery
Smile Tonneau Covers

I bought an Access Cover Limited Edition from http://www.truckalterations.com/index.html Less than $400. with free shipping. It took about a half hour to install and you can use the tiedown cleats also.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:17 PM   #4
novella is on a distinguished road
novella's Tacoma Gallery
Bed Covers

I am thinking about a bed cover for my 2007 Tacoma. The one I have liked so far is the Lorado by Access. I like everything I have learned about it so far. A local dealer in Kingsport, TN will install one for $380 plus a "Pop and Lock" tailgate lock, $49.95, on my truck. After one short trip in the Tacoma my wife and I have decided it will be our highway vehicle and let our 1999 ML-320 stay in the garage for a while. Do any of you have any experience with the set up I am thinking about going to? For those of you that are undecided give www.accesscover.com a look, you might find one of theirs you like.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:09 PM   #5
scutch10 is on a distinguished road

Air Force: 1 Comm Sq.
scutch10's Tacoma Gallery
sataco: what year is your taco, because there is an armorlid top on ebay for $499 with free shipping that fits 01-04 dc short bed. Also, for $610 you may be able to find a painted top that has the same features as the armourlid. I worked at a truck accessory shop back in FL and installed these things all the time, as long as you have someone to help lift the top on the truck, installation isa breeze.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:41 PM   #6
GregT is on a distinguished road
GregT's Tacoma Gallery
For what it's worth, I have a BAKFlip and love it. No need to remove the cover when transporting tall items. And, if you like the ABS black plastic, this would fit right in. It is a snap to install.
Attached Thumbnails
Tonneau Covers-need your advice!!-e-taco3.jpg  
Old 08-09-2007, 07:04 AM   #7

sataco's Tacoma Gallery
i have an 06, i went ahead and bought the armor lid. should have it installed on monday. i'll post some pics of it.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:40 PM   #8

sataco's Tacoma Gallery
here is a quick shot of my new lid after a car wash
Old 08-13-2007, 12:53 PM   #9
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
Thats a tough lookin truck Brock
Old 08-13-2007, 01:30 PM   #10

sataco's Tacoma Gallery
thanks, glad you like it.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:16 PM   #11
cusas6 is on a distinguished road
cusas6's Tacoma Gallery
I've got the Extang Solid-Fold. Its a trifold cover. I've been extremely happy. It is aluminum so it gets a little hot on a warm So. Cal. day. But it attaches to the taco bed rails and still allows you to use the rail system. The front screws down by hand and the back attaches with spring loaded clamps. It seals down pretty tight but if you want water tight a) buy a van, b) go with something that hangs over the edges. The Solid fold is light yet really strong. I can put it on or take it off myself in about a minute. Extang shows picks of an ATV on top of it. I don't think I'll try that.

Just my 2 cents.
-Scott
Old 10-12-2007, 07:56 AM   #12
kaszeta is on a distinguished road
kaszeta's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneakers View Post
I bought an Access Cover Limited Edition from http://www.truckalterations.com/index.html Less than $400. with free shipping. It took about a half hour to install and you can use the tiedown cleats also.
I bought this same cover, and like it as well. Took me about 20 minutes to install, and it works with both the factory tiedown cleats (although they are harder to install and remove) and the bike fork mounts.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:21 PM   #14
Unapologetic Texan
sawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to behold

sawdust's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneakers View Post
Hey, sneakers, I wanted to say thanks to you for the pointer to Truck Alterations, and I also want to give those guys a plug. I bought my Access Limited from them last week. They were easy to deal with, shipped quickly, and had the cheapest prices I'd seen.
Old 12-16-2007, 07:41 AM   #15
AZBlackDC is on a distinguished road
AZBlackDC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cusas6 View Post
I've got the Extang Solid-Fold. Its a trifold cover. I've been extremely happy. It is aluminum so it gets a little hot on a warm So. Cal. day. But it attaches to the taco bed rails and still allows you to use the rail system. The front screws down by hand and the back attaches with spring loaded clamps. It seals down pretty tight but if you want water tight a) buy a van, b) go with something that hangs over the edges. The Solid fold is light yet really strong. I can put it on or take it off myself in about a minute. Extang shows picks of an ATV on top of it. I don't think I'll try that.

Just my 2 cents.
-Scott

I'm very interested in the solid fold, do you have any pics? I'm curious to see what it looks like on a taco, searched but couldn't find any, thanks.
Old 12-16-2007, 03:21 PM   #16
cusas6's Tacoma Gallery
I'll try to take some this week and post them. Just as a side note. I bent one of my clamps and I called Extang and their customer service was awesome. They sent out a replacement right away.
Old 12-16-2007, 07:42 PM   #17
dbatt is on a distinguished road
dbatt's Tacoma Gallery
Cover

Hey sataco where in san antonio did you have it done and does it lock. By the way my truck is the same as yours except an 07. Thanks
Old 12-16-2007, 08:05 PM   #18

sataco's Tacoma Gallery
i bought it and had it installed at this place
Texas Hitch & Truck Center
12903 Nacogdoches Rd
San Antonio TX US 78217
(210) 967-9994

yes it locks, but the stock brackets are cheap aluminum so i made some
out of 1/4 steel plate so i could really torque down the bolts.
Old 12-17-2007, 09:32 AM   #19
cusas6's Tacoma Gallery
I just clamp mine to the rails in the bed. You have to angle them a little bit, but it works just as well.
Old 12-20-2007, 05:44 PM   #20
AZBlackDC is on a distinguished road
AZBlackDC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cusas6 View Post
I'll try to take some this week and post them. Just as a side note. I bent one of my clamps and I called Extang and their customer service was awesome. They sent out a replacement right away.
Sorry for the late response. Thanks I would appreciate any pics you could put up.