Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

High clearance vs regular style bumper

Old 02-06-2012, 04:19 PM   #1
Ermine is on a distinguished road
Ermine's Tacoma Gallery
High clearance vs regular style bumper

Ok sometime in the future I am wanting to put on an after market rear and front bumper on my 2011 tacoma. I have a 3 inch lift on it and the factory crap bumper bothers me. The question is to go with a high clearance rear or the normal style rear bumper? I don't do a whole lot of 4 wheeling but occasionally.

What are your guys thoughts?
Old 02-06-2012, 04:20 PM   #2
King of the grill
HomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
HomerTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ermine View Post
Ok sometime in the future I am wanting to put on an after market rear and front bumper on my 2011 tacoma. I have a 3 inch lift on it and the factory crap bumper bothers me. The question is to go with a high clearance rear or the normal style rear bumper? I don't do a whole lot of 4 wheeling but occasionally.

What are your guys thoughts?
High Clearance FTMFW!
Old 02-06-2012, 04:28 PM   #3
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Where do you store your spare tire?
Old 02-06-2012, 04:28 PM   #4
distinguished bongo truck art critic
Mxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police Platoon Leader
Name: Chase
Mxpatriot's Tacoma Gallery
High clearance.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:19 PM   #6
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Tool up for the job you want to do. I don't think thes guys are steering you the right way.

Badder isn't better.

It's really hard to cut your fenders with a nice straight line and have it look clean for the high clearance bumper.

You gain no clearance if you don't relocate your spare tire, so then you either need to swing it away every time you want to open the tailgate, or use up bed space to store the spare.

Once you've got a 3" lift, your departure angles aren't bad with a regular bumper, and the off road plate bumpers are plenty tough enough to take being dragged through the dirt or over a rock on the odd occasion when you hit that sharp an incline.

Look at some photos of the trucks that have both.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:27 PM   #7
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
If you're not cutting, you're wasting your time.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:42 PM   #9
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Old 02-06-2012, 07:46 PM   #10
danimal92sport has much to be proud ofdanimal92sport has much to be proud ofdanimal92sport has much to be proud ofdanimal92sport has much to be proud ofdanimal92sport has much to be proud ofdanimal92sport has much to be proud ofdanimal92sport has much to be proud ofdanimal92sport has much to be proud ofdanimal92sport has much to be proud ofdanimal92sport has much to be proud of
danimal92sport's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
Tool up for the job you want to do. I don't think thes guys are steering you the right way.

Badder isn't better.

It's really hard to cut your fenders with a nice straight line and have it look clean for the high clearance bumper.

You gain no clearance if you don't relocate your spare tire, so then you either need to swing it away every time you want to open the tailgate, or use up bed space to store the spare.

Once you've got a 3" lift, your departure angles aren't bad with a regular bumper, and the off road plate bumpers are plenty tough enough to take being dragged through the dirt or over a rock on the odd occasion when you hit that sharp an incline.

Look at some photos of the trucks that have both.
This guy is raining pure, sweet logic on you all.

I vote keep your stock bumpers if you don't wheel often. If you bend up your stock one...buy an aftermarket one of your choice. But I'm putting all my money on you not bending your stock bumper.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by danimal92sport View Post
This guy is raining pure, sweet logic on you all.

Ain't no fun in logic.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:45 PM   #13
badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shed
badger's Tacoma Gallery
High clearnace bumpers, both front and rear, do not make the best general purpose bumpers. They sacrifice virtually everthing else to gain the clearance. That;s fine if you need it. I like the face of my bumpers to be some distance from the sheetmetal they protect. If you end up hitting a snow bank, dirt bank, another vehicle, or an animal, that distance can save alot of body damage. That's why I run an ARB in front. It's not high clearance but it's good enough. It provides protection and distance so things are not so likely to protrude through the defense and cause damage.

If you do alot of towing, the hitshes in the high clearance bumpers are not so good either. They pull the hitch much closer to the back of the vehicle and can cause problems towing some trailers. They can limit turning radius severly if the tongue of the trailer is short or carrying things like propane bottles.

There are companies that make high strength "ranch" bumpers, that might be a better choice. The factory bumpers, front and rear are just useless trim pieces.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:46 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger View Post
High clearnace bumpers, both front and rear, do not make the best general purpose bumpers. They sacrifice virtually everthing else to gain the clearance. That;s fine if you need it. I like the face of my bumpers to be some distance from the sheetmetal they protect. If you end up hitting a snow bank, dirt bank, another vehicle, or an animal, that distance can save alot of body damage. That's why I run an ARB in front. It's not high clearance but it's good enough. It provides protection and distance so things are not so likely to protrude through the defense and cause damage.

Well designed bumpers will have plenty of protrusion for protection while remaining low-profile.

ARB offer a BIG clearance improvement over the stock mess.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:58 PM   #15
badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shed
badger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
Well designed bumpers will have plenty of protrusion for protection while remaining low-profile.

ARB offer a BIG clearance improvement over the stock mess.
I'd have to disagree with the first part of your statement. The whole point of the high clearance bumpers is to tuck in as close as possible. Every inch out that they set decreases appraoch/departure angle. Sure they are strong, and if you hit something hard like a stump or rock they are fine. Hitting anything that gives is another story.

Yeah, the ARB is a huge inprovement over stock. Honestly, a 2x6 would be huge improvement . I do like my ARB, and I think it is very well engineered.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:02 PM   #16
I am the one who knocks
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
I wheel a LOT. I'm going with regular style allpro
Old 02-06-2012, 09:06 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger View Post
I'd have to disagree with the first part of your statement. The whole point of the high clearance bumpers is to tuck in as close as possible. Every inch out that they set decreases appraoch/departure angle. Sure they are strong, and if you hit something hard like a stump or rock they are fine. Hitting anything that gives is another story.
Approach angle is remedied by placing the protruding portion higher up; my hybrid pictured below has a ramped lower portion to keep approach angles at maximum and sticks out a good 5 inches from the grill. In the event of approach angle not quite being "enough", it's very plausible to just drag the fucking thing up the rock. In dirt, it grades it own approach angle.

I have no doubts about its ability to approach obstacles or protect the truck from hard or soft impacts.

Is any bumper perfect? No, but good design can definitely minimize weaknesses and maximize benefits.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:09 PM   #18
King of the grill
HomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Approach angle is remedied by placing the protruding portion higher up; my hybrid pictured below has a ramped lower portion to keep approach angles at maximum and sticks out a good 5 inches from the grill.

I have no doubts about its ability to approach obstacles or protect the truck from hard or soft impacts.

Is any bumper perfect? No, but good design can definitely minimize weaknesses and maximize benefits.

you & Chad....

VERY nice!

On another note - I found the fiberglass filler pieces to go under my taillights when I get this on:

Can't wait!
Old 02-06-2012, 09:11 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerTaco View Post
you & Chad....

VERY nice!
Don't forget DBronzo

Quote:
On another note - I found the fiberglass filler pieces to go under my taillights when I get this on:
Can't wait!
Kickass man. That'll give it a nice clean look...really looking forward to the install!
Old 02-06-2012, 09:19 PM   #20
King of the grill

Quote:
Don't forget DBronzo
Oh yeah! forgot there was 3 of them hybrids out there... I was really close to getting the prototype Front Plate Bumper. Then Kevin sold the truck...

Quote:
Kickass man. That'll give it a nice clean look...really looking forward to the install!
me too.
The guys at all pro don't sell them anymore (claimed "fitment" issues) but they were nice enough to get me in touch with the fab company that used to make them.
I spoke with them & they said All-poo was complaining about 1/16" variances on the fiberglass...
I'll have them next week & will get them painted BSP.

OP - sorry to