1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Gauging Interest (Shift Knobs)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Slidell96, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Feb 6, 2012 at 4:30 PM
    Slidell96

Slidell96 [OP] Member

Member:
    I don't like my stock knob and couldn't find any out there that I did like. So I decided to make my own. Just would like see if there is any interest if I made more, people would like to buy them. The two on the left are aluminum, the two in the middle are stainless steel and the one on the right is my stock one for a reference. The tall ones could be used to replace automatic knobs and the short ones for manuals. I plan on having stickers made to put on the top of the short ones for the shift patterns. I am definitely interested in feedback, pm me if you have any questions.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Feb 6, 2012 at 4:37 PM
    holyfield19

holyfield19 GO TIGERS!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD Sport 4X4
    Busted CV boots and lots of squeaks.
    Nice work!! They look more old school hot rod to me though. Something you would see on a tall shift lever in a rat-rod T-bucket. Props for the skills.

3. Feb 6, 2012 at 4:41 PM
    Forster46

Forster46 Very nice how much?

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Vehicle:
    The doritos locos taco
    6000k HID's, AUX Reverse Lights, 3" Rough Country Suspension Lift, Pioneer AVH-P4200 Double Din, Underglow and footwell Lights, Camo Seat Covers, Duralast Tool Box, Blacked Out Badges, Grill, Front Emblem, Midland CB Radio, Amber Strobes, POWER REAR WINDOW, cup holder LED's, Firestik 3' in bed, console divider, Ultragauge.
    Depending on a price, I think I would be interested. I drive a 5 speed

4. Feb 6, 2012 at 5:10 PM
    lj973gm

lj973gm Sold it, dont miss it yet.

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB 4wd
    The options on those are endless and can easily be made to look different by bead blasting for a duller finish or even anodize the aluminum ones at home.

5. Feb 6, 2012 at 6:23 PM
    Slidell96

Slidell96 [OP] Member

Member:
    For what it takes to make these, I figure $60 for the short one and $100 for the tall one are reasonable prices. I'm probably going to stick with just making the aluminum ones. The stainless steel knobs are very heavy. Depending on how they do I may look into anodizing them in the future.

6. Feb 6, 2012 at 6:53 PM
    DIVERMAN

DIVERMAN Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cullen
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite Mica 4x4 TRD O/R SWB
    Tailgate theft prevention, Locking rear window, Blind spot mirrors, Fogs on anytime, Rear diff breather relocated, Bed storage locks, LEDs in/out, Relocated trailer plug(custom!), OEM bed mat, OEM running boards, OEM bed divider, Bed lights, Rev lights, Raptor lights, WeatherTech floor mats and window vents, Extra D-rings, ImMrYo Bracket, UWS low pro black toolbox, Carhartt seat covers,
    very nice work! i might be interested in a short one for my auto. you in slidell,la?

7. Feb 6, 2012 at 8:11 PM
    badger

badger Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    I like the mushroom shape alot. The aluminum will not wear well, and probably leave marks on your hand unless you hard anodize it. Shift knobs work best if you make them heavy. The stainless would fill that bill. The problem with metal though is that it will be cold. That's why I prefer synthetic materials. Delrin (acetyl) machines very well and might be another option

I would suggest you not use a sticker for the shift pattern. Instead use laser engraved plastic inserts. Any better trophy shop can make these for you at a very low cost, You can get them with adhesive backing and laser cut to fit the recess in the knob perfectly. very professional looking and they won't run off over time. A sticker won't last.

8. Feb 7, 2012 at 7:13 AM
    Slidell96

Slidell96 [OP] Member

Member:
    I am very glad to see there is interest in the knobs! Keep the input coming. I am from Louisiana, moved out years ago, but was a great place to grow up! I'm not sure how the aluminum will wear, but the quality of this one is 10 times better than any knobs I have seen from China. I will look into costs for doing Delrin as well, thank you for the tip. Although I have not drilled and tapped them yet, to give an idea of what the Stainless ones weigh, 19.6oz for the short knob and 25.5oz for the tall one. After drilling and tapping that weight should considerably change. My concern is that with that much weight at the end of the shifter, it may take the truck out of gear going over bumps or potholes. If the weight is a good bit lighter after they are finished I will be more inclined to sell them. The stainless ones do have that heavy duty feel that i do like. As for the stickers, I am planning on using the gel material that they use for etching it just has the sticker beneath it instead of etching. Trust me, they aren't cheesy by any means. The etching is a good idea too though.

9. Feb 7, 2012 at 12:36 PM
    Tacozoid

Tacozoid Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Terry
    Katy Texas
    Vehicle:
    White Tacoma Pre-runner
    Billsteins,Texas tint. Blue Dash mod. Console mod. in Blue, Customized grille
    [​IMG] Off the hinges! I might just have to buy one. NICE

10. Feb 7, 2012 at 12:42 PM
    Leggo

Leggo slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Newton,Ma.
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport AC 4x4 MGM
    Kenwood HU,Infinity Kappa speakers (x4), Infinity reference tweeters(x2),10" Kicker sub, Box by Subthump, Infinty Five channel amp,DVD anytime bypass, DTRL Mod, Xtang trifecta, Fogs anytime Mod, Bed Mat,Westin running boards, Console vault, Maglite mod, Weathertechs,Autopage remote starter, Power tailgate lock, HID Bi Zenon, Hella Supertones,Rain guards,Rear leaf TSB,Steering shaft TSB, Fisher Homesteader plow, 886 reverse lights mod, Redline Hood struts, Hankook Dynapro ATM LT265/70R17, power sliding rear window, Auto dimming/on anytime Bed lights, Blue Sea fuse panel & 100amp Breaker, de- badged,Rear headrest's removed, imMrYo mirror relocation,Homeroshi grill
    I would buy a stainless, short one for an auto.

11. Feb 7, 2012 at 12:49 PM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    Cool designs! however I've been there done that with the metal shift knobs in the past. I like my stock leather one. Here in GA in the summer time, you're looking to get the shift pattern branded in the palm of your hand grabbing one of those after your car sits in the hot sun all day. OUCH!

12. Feb 7, 2012 at 3:20 PM
    xxaarraa

xxaarraa Well-Known Member

Member:
    I wouldn't nix the heavy stainless steel knobs so quickly. A lot of people (me included) prefer heavy knobs because it makes shifting easier, particularly if you have a short shift kit installed.
    I would be very interested in the long stainless steel knob. Wanna sell me the prototype? :)

13. Feb 12, 2012 at 11:48 AM
    Slidell96

Slidell96 [OP] Member

Member:
    Just want to let everyone know that I am still working on having the finished product done and pictures up soon. Going to start with the shorter "mushroom" knob in steel first, since that one received the most interest.

14. Dec 20, 2012 at 1:30 PM
    csuviper

csuviper Moderator Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tundra Rock Warrior 5.7L 4x4
    3" Toytec Ultimate Lift, 315/70R17 Duratracs, RW Wheels, Grillcraft Grill, Toyota "Raptor" Lettering and more
    Did you end up machining more of these?

15. Feb 5, 2013 at 9:32 PM
    csuviper

csuviper Moderator Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tundra Rock Warrior 5.7L 4x4
    3" Toytec Ultimate Lift, 315/70R17 Duratracs, RW Wheels, Grillcraft Grill, Toyota "Raptor" Lettering and more
    Hmm, guessing not

16. Feb 6, 2013 at 9:24 PM
    LocoTaco

LocoTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Central Washington
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 TRD Sport
    Are you still contemplating selling the machined knobs?

Products Discussed in

To Top