1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Shopping Help. DCLB now, or Access Cab OR Later.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Sprocket7, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Feb 7, 2012 at 10:08 AM
    Sprocket7

Sprocket7 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hi Everyone,

I have a good deal on a 2012 DCLB TRD lined up, here in Canada. Originally I was not going to do this, as I have a RAV4 coming off lease, that I absolutely love, and was going to just buy out the residual and keep it for the next 5-6 years.

But of course, the dealer wants me in a new lease and sweetened the pot somewhat. Those guys are persuasive!

So here is my connundrum. I love the Tacoma, and my plan was to buy my RAV4, and then trade in our second car, a Hyundai Accent, next year for an Access Cab TRD OR. The family (4 of us) would have the benefits of a good family vehicle (the RAV4), and a truck for me that I've always wanted along with its useful attributes (hauling stuff up to the cottage, mountain bikes, etc). We don't need to sit 4 comfortably in the second vehicle.

Now that these dudes at the dealership are talking me into a DCLB, the replacement for my little Hyundai would end up being a Corolla or something like that.

So... assuming a second car is a small compact like a Corolla or Yaris, does the DCLB Tacoma make sense as a primary family vehicle? Or should I stick to my plan and just buy the RAV and then replace the Hyundai with an access cab tacoma in a year.

I'm just worried that as a primary vehicle the DCLB is too much truck.

Thanks for any pointers from veteran Taco owners :)

2. Feb 7, 2012 at 10:12 AM
    G.T.

G.T. Official TW Burrito Inspector

Member:
    First Name:
    G.T.
    CONUS
    Vehicle:
    2011 Pyrite Mica 4WD DCLB TRDSport w/ FlipPac
    Some stick on chrome from pep boys
    Works fine for me with my wife and our toddler in it as well as our two dogs at times. Shop with your budget, not your emotions is all I'll add. Best of luck whichever way it works out for you.

3. Feb 7, 2012 at 10:39 AM
    Floyd Rivers

Floyd Rivers Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Asheville
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRDOR
    I've got a 2010 dclb sr5 4x4, and my truck is our main family vehicle. Got it when the twins were a little over two years old and with a shell it works great for me/us. Dogs and groceries in the bed, kids safe and sound in their seats. Sometimes the lb is a bit long for parking and all that, but I love the long wheel base on the road. Safety and all condition ability were my two main goals when we were shopping for vehicles. Plus, if your a dude schlepping little kids around all day, why not do it in the greatest mid-sized "man wagon" on the road? I say go dclb now (if gas prices aren't a major factor) and know that you and your little one will be safe and have plenty of room to do the day to day things we all have to do for years to come. :)

4. Feb 7, 2012 at 10:45 AM
    bethes

bethes Señorita Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Beth
    Tulsa/Sand Springs, OK
    Vehicle:
    2011 V6 TRD Off Road
    I have a double cab, short bed. Excellent for how I use it: friends in the front, camping gear in the bed. My dad's a pretty big guy and he thinks the back seat is kinda cramped, but I've never had trouble sitting in the back seat. It just depends how you intend to use the vehicle.

5. Feb 8, 2012 at 7:16 AM
    Sprocket7

Sprocket7 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Thanks for the feedback.

Because we love the RAV4 so much, it really does make more sense to hang onto it as the daily family hauler. I think I'll pick up an Access Cab TRD OR in a year or two...

6. Feb 8, 2012 at 7:45 AM
    2004TacomaSR5

2004TacomaSR5 Nemesis Prime

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DCSB & 1980 Toyota Pickup 4WD
    Tacoma is stock and staying that way, Pickup is TBA as of now.
    Since you already got the Rav4 and the Hyndai, go with the access cab is my vote! Especially if it is going to mostly be you driving around in it, mine does just fine for all my hauling needs, plus I think the access cab looks really sharp compared to the double cab.

7. Feb 8, 2012 at 7:47 AM
    tacomalex

tacomalex Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    WV
    Vehicle:
    '11 SR5 2.7l 4x4
    plasti dip engine
    Wait and get the access cab OR. Owning one car (or paying on it to own it) and then buying one later is alot better than leasing IMO.

8. Feb 8, 2012 at 11:14 AM
    ruslanus

ruslanus Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rus
    Wasilla, AK
    I would hold on to the RAV4 and get the Access Cab later and get rid of Hyundai

Products Discussed in

To Top