1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

rear leaf TSB ?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Blueridge, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Apr 19, 2012 at 6:17 AM
    Larry

Larry CARL

Member:
    CARL
    Just measured mine, and it's 36-1/2" unloaded and parked in my driveway.

My TSP springs were installed in Sept. 2010. And, I use my truck like a truck. It's my DD, but I haul building materials, tools and other heavy construction debris regularly.

I'm actually surprised by this, I thought they had settled more.

2. Apr 19, 2012 at 10:54 AM
    alexander323bc

alexander323bc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Buffalo New York
    Vehicle:
    4cyl access cab
    Its always good to hear when defective parts hold up better after being replaced. Lets hope they stay that way for a while longer.

3. Apr 19, 2012 at 2:33 PM
    Larry

Larry CARL

Member:
    CARL
    the 3 leaf rear springs are not defective. they are quite adequate for 99.9% of Tacoma owners in America. However, it is nice that Toyota offers a solution for the small percentage who need more hauling capability.

or, did I misunderstand your post?

4. Apr 19, 2012 at 10:17 PM
    Ostrichsak

Ostrichsak Don't taze me bro!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jer
    Northern Colorado, USA
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged '10 Tacoma 4x4 TRD
    TRD Supercharger + too much stuff to list. Click sig pic
    I've got an appointment for next week to have the truck looked at for a faulty sub and the TSB. He warned me that it would make the truck ride much more harsh w/o a load and once they do the 4-leaf I'm on my own if I hate it. They won't do anything to help you go back so I need to make sure I can live with the ride quality. Some have said it feels like it rides about the same yet he's saying it's much more harsh so I need to make a decision in the next few days if I'm going to go through with it or not. I pull a trailer constantly and regularly haul stuff in the bed so I'm one of the ones who actually bought a truck to use for truck uses so I imagine this swap will be ideal and a slight decrease in ride quality will be worth it for what I gain in daily use.

5. Apr 20, 2012 at 5:41 AM
    TOMRR

TOMRR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Mass
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OFFROAD, DCSB, AUTO, BLAZING BLUE, PREMIUM JBL TECT.
    Stock TRD OFF ROAD DCSB AUTO JBL TECT. Bed Mat Heated and turn signal mirrors Wet Okole Front Seat Covers Prodigy Brake Controler Front Skid Plate Power Wagon Badge Tint Driver and Pessenger door windows Inchannel window vents
    I just had mind done 2011 TRD OFF ROAD Quad Cab and notice no difference at all. I put my 500lb Honda in the bed and it only droped 1 inch with the 3 leaf pack it droped just over 2 inchs

I am happy about the change and I use my tacoma for mostly just hauling my butt around

6. Apr 20, 2012 at 5:53 AM
    Larry

Larry CARL

Member:
    CARL
    he is blowing smoke. you wont notice any difference in ride. at least I didn't.

although, I've been driving pickups for 35+ years, and all the new ones are Cadillacs compared to the trucks of yesterday.

7. Apr 20, 2012 at 7:34 AM
    TOMRR

TOMRR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Mass
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OFFROAD, DCSB, AUTO, BLAZING BLUE, PREMIUM JBL TECT.
    Stock TRD OFF ROAD DCSB AUTO JBL TECT. Bed Mat Heated and turn signal mirrors Wet Okole Front Seat Covers Prodigy Brake Controler Front Skid Plate Power Wagon Badge Tint Driver and Pessenger door windows Inchannel window vents
    I will be adding Firestone air bags to, I would like to do some towing,

8. Apr 20, 2012 at 9:27 AM
    Ostrichsak

Member:
    First Name:
    Jer
    Northern Colorado, USA
    Vehicle:
    That's kind of what I was thinking. The ride height difference is a tad bit of a concern as the smaller trailer I pull is already at a slight upward angle and I don't want to have to buy another hitch with more drop because I'm cheap like that. :D

9. Apr 20, 2012 at 10:02 AM
    MCM78LC

MCM78LC Well-Known Member

Member:
    Saint Paul, MN
    Vehicle:
    2021 Toyota Land Cruiser
    I had my 2012 TX Pro done two weeks ago Friday. On the ride home from the dealership (mostly freeway), it finally went around the cloverleafs like my '01 did....like a truck. It finally went over bumps like a truck (no Cadillac bounce). It's "firm" not "harsh". There's definitely a difference. And, unless you don't like a truck to feel like a truck, it's a GOOD difference. My rear end went up a total of 1.5". I think it's settled in a bit since, but it definitely sits where it should have from the factory in the first place. Think of this-- TOW PACKAGE = WANT 4 LEAF PACKS (or, 3 + OL). Wouldn't that simplify things for Toyota?

10. Apr 20, 2012 at 3:33 PM
    Larry

Larry CARL

Member:
    CARL
    the inch or so of extra height w/ the TSB springs will probably settle under the tongue weight.

don't worry b happy.

11. Apr 20, 2012 at 8:19 PM
    Ostrichsak

Member:
    First Name:
    Jer
    Northern Colorado, USA
    Vehicle:
    Haha... ok man. :cool:

12. Apr 20, 2012 at 8:30 PM
    Snowman11

Snowman11 Supreme Ruler

Member:
    First Name:
    Snow
    Near Philly
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCLB TuRD Sport
    5100 Billies
    I have said I wasn't going to do it because I love the ride of the 3 leaf. However I put a 800 LB quad in the back frequently and it bottoms out constantly. The correct thing to do is to put an airbag system in place so I can keep the plush ride but just didn't feel like spending $500. I have had the TSB now for 2 days. It sits probably 2 inches higher (haven't measured) but definitely rides stiffer but I'm ok with it.
    On any suspension, the springs set ride height. If you don't like the harsh ride, you can always change shocks. I will probably get the 5100's in the front to level it out, maybe in the back too. I'm thinking it will make it a better ride too.

13. Apr 20, 2012 at 8:51 PM
    Ostrichsak

Member:
    First Name:
    Jer
    Northern Colorado, USA
    Vehicle:
    I was reading that they change out the front and rear shocks with this TSB so is this standard with everyone? I have TRD so I want to make sure they give me the TRD Bilsteins. This could also be why some experience a harsher ride than others if their shocks were a little more tired than others.

14. Apr 21, 2012 at 5:29 AM
    Snowman11

Snowman11 Supreme Ruler

Member:
    First Name:
    Snow
    Near Philly
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCLB TuRD Sport
    5100 Billies
    You are absolutely right. If you have a sport like myself, you only get springs. I'm not sure about the off-road, I think those are the same shocks too.

You still feel a difference but it's not bad. Honestly it feels more newish again so I'm thinking once they wear in more, the ride will tend to be similar to what it was.

15. Apr 21, 2012 at 8:22 AM
    alexander323bc

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Buffalo New York
    Vehicle:
    4cyl access cab
    I didnt feel much a difference if any. The only thing I really noticed when I first got in it is how much higher the back end sits now. They did not change my shocks because they stated I already had the updated shocks. I am planning on ordering some 5100's in the next month so i am not to worried about.

16. Apr 21, 2012 at 8:24 AM
    alexander323bc

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Buffalo New York
    Vehicle:
    4cyl access cab

No you got my my post right, I just used the word defective for lack of a better word at the time. I meant defective in the sense that springs were not capable of hauling the weight mentioned in Manuel. So I guess defective was a strong word.

17. May 21, 2012 at 10:37 AM
    zeekevin

zeekevin Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    I'm getting my 3 pack leafs on my 2012 TRD off road replaced with the tsb 4 pack today after a few trips to the dealer and a few phone calls. Can't wait to get the truck back

18. May 21, 2012 at 10:55 AM
    Ostrichsak

Member:
    First Name:
    Jer
    Northern Colorado, USA
    Vehicle:
    I've had my truck back after completion of the TSB for about a week now and I must say that I'm glad I went ahead with it. The ride isn't noticeable more harsh as I was warned and in fact I have a difficult time telling a difference when empty. With my trailer I do notice it's a little bit more harsh but I'm not saying this is bad at all. I actually prefer it to the previous feel because I feel like I can tell better what my trailer is feeling and doing. I also am happy with the idea that my truck can now haul more in the bed and handle more weight and the best part is the price was right. :D If I had to do it over again I absolutely would and wouldn't give it so much thought. I would advise anyone and everyone to have this TSB done.

19. May 22, 2012 at 6:16 AM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    The TSB 4 leaf pack is not worth it if you are even considering paying part of the cost. The best option is airbags or an aftermarket leaf pack.

20. May 22, 2012 at 12:54 PM
    zeekevin

zeekevin Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    So I officially have the tsb 4 pack springs done on my 2012. The rear does sit higher now but no big deal. The ride quality is better and handles better, this should hold me off for a little while until I upgrade to better springs down the road

Products Discussed in

To Top