1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

single rear end knock when first rolling

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by triton17, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Feb 7, 2012 at 2:52 PM
    triton17

triton17 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD OFF ROAD 4WD
    I've noticed a single knock that comes from the rear of my truck everytime I shift from reverse to drive (as in backing out of the driveway then shifting into drive to move ahead) After moving forward about 5-7 feet, I get a single little pop. The truck is only a week old, 2012 TRD OFF Road 4WD AUTOMATIC DOUBLE CAB. I will be back at the dealer in a few days and will be bringing this to their attention but, I would like to know if anyone has experianced this and has any info that would help. Thanks

2. Feb 8, 2012 at 4:18 AM
    Tusk

Tusk Active Member

Member:
    Yes, I have EXACTLY what you describe. I've got an SR5 4WD auto DCSB that's about two weeks old and won't be back at the dealer for a month or so. Please post back what your dealer has to say about this.

3. Feb 8, 2012 at 4:29 AM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Could be brake click or axle wrap. Does it happen when you press the brake, or only after you roll forward a bit? Do you ever get the noise upon coming to a stop, such as at a red light in around town traffic?

4. Feb 8, 2012 at 6:12 AM
    Tusk

Tusk Active Member

Member:
    Only after rolling forward a bit and only after backing up. I don’t think this happens when backing out of a parking spot but I haven’t really had the chance to play with it yet. I back up 40 - 50 feet out of the garage and out into the street. Put it in drive and move forward a few feet and you can just hear the pop as the OP described.

No.

5. Feb 8, 2012 at 6:20 AM
    Steve0ct

Steve0ct Well-Known Member

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off-Road DCSB White
    Here's a crazy suggestion.... could it be gas "slapping" in the tank?

6. Feb 8, 2012 at 2:19 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    That's brake clack. It's normal and not hurting anything. The brake pads are shifting in the calipers when the direction of the vehicle changes and you brake. It's coming from the front end.

If the OP has the same symptoms, then that's what he has too.

7. Feb 8, 2012 at 4:06 PM
    triton17

triton17 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD OFF ROAD 4WD
    If the correct diagnosis is brake slap, and this is normal, then why would I hear it on this new truck but have never heard it on the other two tacomas I have owned? It really does sound like its comming from the rear. Don't mean to sound sarcastic, I just wondered why. Is this something common to the newer tacomas? Thanks for the reply.

8. Feb 8, 2012 at 4:10 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    ^^ X2 what jandrews said..... completly normal.

9. Feb 8, 2012 at 5:51 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    It's very common to the 2gen Tacomas. As far as I know, the previous generations never had the issue (different caliper design).

IF (that is the key word) that is the correct diagnosis, it's nothing to worry about.

Go outside on quiet day and go backward and forward in your truck a few times with the windows down and your head sticking out. You'll likely then be able to tell if it's coming from the front or rear.

If it is in fact coming from the rear, that opens a whole new can of worms.

10. Feb 8, 2012 at 6:13 PM
    bullshooter

bullshooter Active Member

Member:
    central illinois
    Vehicle:
    08' Indigo TRD Sport 4x4
    access tonno
    It does it on my 08 Taco also, slack in the brake shoes.

11. Feb 9, 2012 at 5:42 AM
    Tusk

Tusk Active Member

Member:
    Well I guess that’s good news but there’s just something about “shifting brake pads” and “normal” being used in the same sentence that fails to impart that warm fuzzy feeling of confidence in a brand new $30,000.00 truck. Oh well, thanks for the info.

Products Discussed in

To Top