1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Can't decide on which truck i would want

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ne0tas, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Feb 7, 2012 at 6:31 PM
    ne0tas

ne0tas [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erick Iglesias
    Duarte, California
    Vehicle:
    None. :[
    Soooo, in a few months or so I am going to have the money for a truck. One thing that I need help is, which kind.

right now I am really stuck in between a '07-'08 Tocoma 6 speed with the off-road package, or a '06.5 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax with the 6 speed automatic. I really like the Tacomas off-road capabilities, the body style and the mods it's capable of as well. For the Duramax I love the sound and feel of a turbo charged truck and does decent in off roading as well.

I am really stumped.
    Can someone maybe describe to me the pros/cons of each truck? it'd really help D: Thank you :3

2. Feb 7, 2012 at 6:41 PM
    dYL0n

dYL0n أنا لست الإسلامي

Member:
    First Name:
    Dyl0n
    New Orleans, LA
    Vehicle:
    17TRDORDCSBQSJBLKBRO2SPECU1.04
    1.04. Kbro2s. ICONS.
    I am the proud TEST driver of a 2011 duramax diesel 4x4. I am an ever proud OWNER of a 06 dbl cab 2wd 1gr Tacoma. I got into that "diesel stage". I thought I was going to buy one. Then I thought, I know SO much about my truck. The maintance is basic and easy to do yourself. It has good power for a 6 cylinder. I did not NEED the diesel. I was strictly into the diesel for the "sound" and the look of a big truck. Truth is, I don't need a $50,000 truck for that shit. Ok I see you're going with a used one from 06. The engines are built like tanks. But the other parts, not so much. Stick with a newer Tacoma. It's lighter, more fuel efficient, easy to maintain, and this tacomaworld forum will teach you so much.

Go with the Tacoma.

3. Feb 7, 2012 at 6:44 PM
    elmo7

elmo7 Easily Replaceable Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    07 DC TRD OR 4x4
    Big power difference there. If you need it, you go diesel. If you don't, then you go taco.

4. Feb 7, 2012 at 6:45 PM
    RockyMtnTRD

RockyMtnTRD Wanderlust.

Member:
    First Name:
    Noah
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD OR
    hack job
    Toyota reliability vs Chevy reliability? Tacoma no doubt man

5. Feb 7, 2012 at 6:48 PM
    dYL0n

dYL0n أنا لست الإسلامي

Member:
    First Name:
    Dyl0n
    New Orleans, LA
    Vehicle:
    1.04. Kbro2s. ICONS.
    Depends what you do man. Toyota doesn't make a US diesel. SO if you're considering the diesel, there's got to be a reason. That's now a $8,500 option to the new ones. People get diesels for 2 reasons, to tow and haul OR to put a 6 inch bro lift on it with RBP shit all over it. Don't be a bro, go taCO. Lol

6. Feb 7, 2012 at 6:49 PM
    H Bomb

H Bomb Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    SAS'd 92 Pickup/08 SR5 Tacoma
    Duramax: make sure the 8th digit of the vin is a D, this means it is a LBZ Duramax. The LBZ is the Duramax that is most desirable...it does not have emissions restrictions, has stronger rods than previous years. If it an LBZ it will have 360 horse power and 650 foot pounds of torque... Which is pretty bad ass. The duramax will have just as many available mods as a Tacoma. Check out alligator performance...their website will show just what is available for the Duramax. The motor has reliability and is known to go just as many miles as a Tacoma. It will get about the same if not better mpgs as the taco. The Chevy interiors, however, are pretty cheap. Also, if the 8th digit of the vin is a 2, the motor will have less power than the LBZ.

Tacoma: We all know the pros of the Tacoma. They are good reliable trucks. I love my taco, and wouldn't trade it for another truck! And, I'm sure lots of other people will chime in on how great tacos are....

7. Feb 7, 2012 at 6:55 PM
    ne0tas

Member:
    First Name:
    Erick Iglesias
    Duarte, California
    Vehicle:
    I guess I could say i'm at the "diesel stage" as you say. The thought of that turbo spooling up makes my hairs tingle :laser:
    I won't be doing that much towing so I guess it'd be kind of a waste xD
    I think i'm starting to lean towards the Tacoma now since they are sexy trucks. :p

8. Feb 7, 2012 at 6:56 PM
    Harleyfx69

Harleyfx69 Well-Known Member

Member:
    the people talking about fuel mileage dont know what they are talkin about..

Diesels pre 09-10 area with a tune and exhaust can get 20-25 MPG ..

and thats with 35" tires ..

9. Feb 7, 2012 at 6:56 PM
    TnShooter

TnShooter The TacomaWorld Stray

Member:
    First Name:
    Deogee
    Vehicle:
    07' TRD Off-Road, Auto
    STOCK
    I have an 07', Off-Road. auto.
    It rides rougher than a standard package 4x4, the springs are stiffer.
    I have never needed to used the locker as of yet, I hope I never HAVE to use it.
    If you HAVE to use a locker, you probably should be driving there. Look for a better route.
    The rear springs are weak and bottom out easily, unless it has the upgraded TSB springs.
    The ground clearance in the Gen. 2 Tacomas are a total JOKE.

The pros are, it gets you from point A to point B pretty reliably.
    And it will do what 99% of the people will need it to do.
    I'm not bashing my Tacoma, I'm just not afraid to say some thing negative about what I own. I've found that most people can't admit the faults of stuff they own.

As for the chevy, I can NOT help. Never owned one.
    I'd guess it can haul more and doubt it would get the same fuel mileage.
    If it were a Dodge I could help.

10. Feb 7, 2012 at 6:57 PM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
    I can't forsee buying a fullsize diesel truck if you dont have a need for diesel, and if a Tacoma is an option than you clearly don't need a diesel.

11. Feb 7, 2012 at 6:57 PM
    Harleyfx69

Harleyfx69 Well-Known Member

Member:
    they are very heavy though which affect offroading abilities in sand / mud type situations..

Other than that the weight is helpful

12. Feb 7, 2012 at 7:00 PM
    Blasphemous

Blasphemous Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    San Fernando Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport DC 4x4
    TRD SC, Stealth Pulley, DTLT Headers, URD MK3 Catback Exhaust, AFE II Intake
    If you want the turbo tingle buy a taco and boost it.

Probably cost you less than buying the duramax, that is not taking into consideration any of your other needs of course.

13. Feb 7, 2012 at 7:35 PM
    ne0tas

Member:
    First Name:
    Erick Iglesias
    Duarte, California
    Vehicle:
    I may do some light/medium towing in the future, but nothing the Tacoma can't handle. Are there even turbo kits for the 2nd gen Taco? I've heard of some 1st gen boosted Tacos but never a 2nd gen 0.0

14. Feb 7, 2012 at 7:38 PM
    Blasphemous

Blasphemous Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    San Fernando Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport DC 4x4
    TRD SC, Stealth Pulley, DTLT Headers, URD MK3 Catback Exhaust, AFE II Intake
    Tbh so far from what we have seen on the market the available turbo kits are junk.

90% of the people that boost the 2nd gens go with the TRD supercharger or URD supercharger, both give a good amount of power.

The URD even sounds similar to a turbo if you really want that noise :)

15. Feb 7, 2012 at 8:47 PM
    2004TacomaSR5

2004TacomaSR5 Nemesis Prime

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DCSB & 1980 Toyota Pickup 4WD
    Tacoma is stock and staying that way, Pickup is TBA as of now.
    In the past dad has owned 2 Duramaxes, a 02 and 09, unless your towing or hauling heaving things reguarly, save your money! Offroad they are so big and bulky and will sink into soft ground really easy. I think they weigh about 8,000lbs! Also they are noisy, just try going hunting with one! They are a menace to find a parking spot too, got the turning radius of a spaceship. Plus they are not all that fun to drive, comfortable yes, but not very entertaining. If you do too much stomping on the gas you are going to go through tires like nobody's business! Our 09 will lay two strips of rubber down on the highway at 65-70 when you gun it to the floor to pass, so in order to avoid this, only give it half throttle.
    Since this is a Tacoma forum, you can only guess what my pick will be! My dad plans to trade his Duramax off on a V6 access cab soon, ever since we sold our 32ft Airstream camper, there has been no need for a heavy, expensive truck sitting around with hefty payments, once dad trades it for a Taco he will be free of it all! You will love the Tacoma, trust me, yeah they are not perfect in some aspects, but are a blast to drive. My dad was skeptical of them at first, and got addicted to them driving mine so that tells you something!

16. Feb 7, 2012 at 8:58 PM
    Forster46

Forster46 Very nice how much?

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Vehicle:
    The doritos locos taco
    6000k HID's, AUX Reverse Lights, 3" Rough Country Suspension Lift, Pioneer AVH-P4200 Double Din, Underglow and footwell Lights, Camo Seat Covers, Duralast Tool Box, Blacked Out Badges, Grill, Front Emblem, Midland CB Radio, Amber Strobes, POWER REAR WINDOW, cup holder LED's, Firestik 3' in bed, console divider, Ultragauge.
    Dmax....
    I wanna trade my taco in for that exact truck... but I have a four banger

17. Feb 8, 2012 at 5:45 AM
    CtTaco

CtTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 Doublecab Sport Longbed Supercharged
    3" lift, Tundra wheels with BFG ATKO's, Viper Remote starter TRD Supercharger
    American car and truck interiors looked to be very poor quality when i looked into them. The tacome can easily tow more than you think. Ive towed my 89 pathfinder with full skids winch etc on a u haul flat trailer 4 hours from ct to upstate ny...definitely over the towing capacity even with the tow package. Once i got up to speed on the highway, it seriously felt like there was nothing behind me. I was so blown away by its towing ability and stability...point is dont let the towing thing keep you from buying an amazing fun truck. Go with the taco :D

18. Feb 8, 2012 at 6:38 AM
    tacomaprerunner

tacomaprerunner Dang liberals.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    1995 Ford F350 7.3L PowerStroke Diesel
    Why Duramax? Have you looked at Power Strokes or Cummins? Specifically the 7.3L PSTD or 5.9L Cummins? I've looked at getting an old Ford with the 7.3, and they're good motors. Lots of power.

19. Feb 8, 2012 at 6:55 AM
    dYL0n

dYL0n أنا لست الإسلامي

Member:
    First Name:
    Dyl0n
    New Orleans, LA
    Vehicle:
    1.04. Kbro2s. ICONS.
    ^^ yep, maintance was my point in the original reply I did. Those things take a ton of oil, a bunch of other shit under the hood, expensive parts.

20. Feb 8, 2012 at 7:05 AM
    H Bomb

H Bomb Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    SAS'd 92 Pickup/08 SR5 Tacoma
    Also, if you are looking at all three motors, make sure to take into account the suspension (duramax has ifs) and also look at the quality of the transmissions of each. The Alison is a good transmission. If you want to do power mods on a diesel, go with the cummins. You can get a lot of power and reliability out of those. The powerstroke is a decent option too-- just stay away from the 6L.

Products Discussed in

To Top