Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Tacoma v6's, 6 speed or 5 speed?

Old 02-08-2012, 08:28 PM   #1
ne0tas is one of the sharper tools in the shedne0tas is one of the sharper tools in the shedne0tas is one of the sharper tools in the shedne0tas is one of the sharper tools in the shedne0tas is one of the sharper tools in the shedne0tas is one of the sharper tools in the shedne0tas is one of the sharper tools in the shedne0tas is one of the sharper tools in the shedne0tas is one of the sharper tools in the shedne0tas is one of the sharper tools in the shedne0tas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Erick Iglesias
ne0tas's Tacoma Gallery
Tacoma v6's, 6 speed or 5 speed?

Sup guys, i plan on buying a truck with the TRD off-road package in the next few to six months and i am just trying to gather as much info as I can right meow.

So I am trying to see which is better, a 5 speed Automatic or a 6 speed stick shift. I live near LA and will probably be working near Fontana if all goes according to plan. Gas mileage isn't an issue but higher is always better.

I can drive a 10 speed (commercial licensed driver) and I am used to shifting and whatnot. I used to drive a nissan Frontier with an Automatic and now I am driving a Honda Civic Automatic and I absolutely hate them! but on the convienience level they are really good for when I feel lazy. I am baffled. Any help? :3
Old 02-08-2012, 08:36 PM   #2
TACK is a name known to allTACK is a name known to allTACK is a name known to allTACK is a name known to allTACK is a name known to allTACK is a name known to all

TACK's Tacoma Gallery
There have been many threads on this. The consensus is that it comes down to personal preference. Test drive both and see what you like.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:51 PM   #3
Weapon Mechanic
Maticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Ranger, Firearms Instructor, Firearms Inspector
Maticuno's Tacoma Gallery
I've had both. My opinion is to get the auto. Driving around the Fontana area during rush hour traffic sucks with a manual.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:51 PM   #4
jackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jackhart's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TACK View Post
There have been many threads on this. The consensus is that it comes down to personal preference. Test drive both and see what you like.
what he said.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:09 PM   #5
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I've been driving nothing but stick shifts for the last 17 years. The Tacoma's six speed is by far the most difficult one to drive that I've ever had. Many folks on this forum would agree with me on that. Given the amount of traffic you are going to see, do yourself a favor and get the automatic. Being able to drive a 10 speed does not mean you HAVE to suffer with a six speed in traffic. I have a friend who is quite fond of saying "just because you can dig a ditch, doesn't mean that you have to, or that you should!"
Old 02-08-2012, 09:13 PM   #6
ne0tas is one of the sharper tools in the shedne0tas is one of the sharper tools in the shedne0tas is one of the sharper tools in the shedne0tas is one of the sharper tools in the shedne0tas is one of the sharper tools in the shedne0tas is one of the sharper tools in the shedne0tas is one of the sharper tools in the shedne0tas is one of the sharper tools in the shedne0tas is one of the sharper tools in the shedne0tas is one of the sharper tools in the shedne0tas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Erick Iglesias
ne0tas's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by joes06tacoma View Post
I've been driving nothing but stick shifts for the last 17 years. The Tacoma's six speed is by far the most difficult one to drive that I've ever had. Many folks on this forum would agree with me on that. Given the amount of traffic you are going to see, do yourself a favor and get the automatic. Being able to drive a 10 speed does not mean you HAVE to suffer with a six speed in traffic. I have a friend who is quite fond of saying "just because you can dig a ditch, doesn't mean that you have to, or that you should!"
What is so difficult about the six speeds?
Old 02-08-2012, 09:33 PM   #7
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ne0tas View Post
What is so difficult about the six speeds?
These trucks use a two piece rear driveshaft and have soft rear springs. The combination of axle wrap and a sloppy center support bearing on the rear shaft result in a vibration at takeoff. While this is present on the automatics, it just makes it that much harder to take off smoothly from a stop with a manual trans. That's always been the struggle for me.

I also can never seem to get comfortable with the position of the clutch pedal. You absolutely have to have the pedal on the carpet to shift without grinding, not much margin for error. Combine that with the geometry of the pedal and the limited space for your feet in that area, and I find it physically uncomfortable to drive in traffic for very long.

Definitely go drive one. The new ones may be different, mines six years old now. But I suggest that you be very critical of it, and really pay attention. I test drove two different trucks and both of them drove the same. I figured I would get used to it and learn how to handle the quirks. 20K later and I'm still not used to it. It's nothing like the Dakota V6 5 speed I had before, and the 09 Tacoma regular cab 5 speed I have at work is much more forgiving and less stressful to drive.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:16 AM   #9
Special Substitute Guest Member
cintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
cintocrunch's Tacoma Gallery
I find the 6-speed as easy to drive as any other truck (with a few exceptions)...drive both for at least an hour and vary the conditions so you can get a feel for both transmissions...
Old 02-09-2012, 05:21 AM   #10
Burns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Burns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Again ?
Its that time of the year I guess.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:50 AM   #11
2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jon
2011TacomaSR5's Tacoma Gallery
I have heard many bad things about the 6 speed, so I went with the 2.7 4 banger and 5 speed manual, I love it! Even if I do upgrade to a V6 in the future, it would be a 6 speed either way, there is nothing on them that cannot be fixed if they break.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:24 AM   #12
forana will become famous soon enoughforana will become famous soon enough
forana's Tacoma Gallery
its not personal preference. Its clear that the 6-speed manual is the superior choice. DUH! Way better than auto in all ways.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:31 AM   #13
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by forana View Post
its not personal preference. Its clear that the 6-speed manual is the superior choice. DUH! Way better than auto in all ways.
Uh no
Old 02-09-2012, 11:33 AM   #14
forana's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Uh no
yes
Old 02-09-2012, 11:44 AM   #15
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
yes
OK boss

For you , in your opinion , that's how it is .
Old 02-09-2012, 12:27 PM   #16
forana's Tacoma Gallery
im just joshing you man, this has been beat to death.

but the 6speed is better.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:32 PM   #17
2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jon
2011TacomaSR5's Tacoma Gallery
I has a feeling this is gonna get interesting!
Old 02-09-2012, 12:41 PM   #18
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Ah yes. Another tranny fail thread. Great job OP.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:19 PM   #19
forana's Tacoma Gallery
This thread should actually end. I settled it once and for all.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:49 PM   #20
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
This thread should actually end. I settled it once and for all.
Where?