1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Engine Oil Cooler on 05 Tacoma V6

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by uiowaguy20, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Feb 8, 2012 at 9:58 PM
    uiowaguy20

uiowaguy20 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab SR5 Tacoma 4x4
    Hey all,

I'd like to appeal to the greater knowledge of the board. I have a V6 05 Tacoma Access Cab with a manual transmission and a Class IV hitch that was installed by a previous owner. I'm interested in getting a bass boat and use the truck to tow a Uhaul trailer through the Rockies that may tax the 3500# tow limit (I do not have a factory installed tow package).

Since I don't have the factory installed tow package, I am looking at the feasibility of installing some of the tow package mods to improve my towing ability. Since I have a manual trans, it doesn't look like a transmission oil cooler is necessary and I don't expect to have lots of trailer lights or an electric brake system on the trailer so I don't think an upgraded alternator is necessary.

That all being said, is it necessary/feasible to install some kind of engine oil cooler on my Taco? Either a finned air to oil cooler or somehow integrate OEM parts to add the water-oil cooler sandwich that comes standard with the tow package? Is their a better after market solution? Does anyone have any experience in doing either of these mods? Thanks!

Cheers,

Jason

2. Feb 8, 2012 at 10:02 PM
    2000GTacoma

2000GTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Snow Hill NC
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma Ext. 3.4L SR5
    some radiators...i had to replace mine don't ask. have a "mini" built in cooler. its for the transmissions of an auto. but the same radiator will work in a manual. maybe you could use that. just has 2 barbs at the bottom. maybe buy an aftermarket oil cooler. just throwing ideas

3. Feb 8, 2012 at 10:04 PM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    You need trailer brakes. I wouldn't use surge brakes, so that leaves electronic...

It's surprisingly expensive to add the OEM oil cooler (Toyota thinks the parts are forged from gold and platinum) but you would be fine adding an aftermarket cooler.

I've heard discussion saying that doing these kinds of mods doesn't actually change what you can legally tow...so I recommend you research that and make your own decision.

4. Feb 8, 2012 at 10:06 PM
    dYL0n

dYL0n أنا لست الإسلامي

Member:
    First Name:
    Dyl0n
    New Orleans, LA
    Vehicle:
    17TRDORDCSBQSJBLKBRO2SPECU1.04
    1.04. Kbro2s. ICONS.
    thought all 1gr's had oil coolers?

5. Feb 8, 2012 at 11:31 PM
    landphil

landphil Fish are FOOD, not friends!

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    RIP 2006 Tacoma DCSB
    Tundra 5.7 mod
    No. My 06 doesn't have one.

Op, you said 3500 lb towing capacity, you got that from the manual, right? My manual says the same for no tow package. Interestingly enough, I have the toyota window sticker from the original owner for my truck WITHOUT the tow package. The sticker clearly states 5000lb towing capacity, and it has the vin on the sticker. A good dealer should be able to give the correct info for yours.

Since it's a 6 spd, there is no need for a trans cooler, and being canadian spec, it already has the bigger alternator and 27f battery, the only thing different is the engine oil cooler, or lack of, and the 7 wire harness.

6. Feb 8, 2012 at 11:47 PM
    genxer36

genxer36 Lord of Tomfoolery

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Bethlehem,GA
    Tow package, XM Satellite radio, K & N Air filter, & Channel Vent Visors
    You should be fine with what you have. I had a 2005 DC prerunner A/T without the tow package & towed a bass boat all over the place. When going up or down large hills I would switch to 4 from D & had no problems. I put 173,500 miles on that truck before trading for the 11. And never had transmission problems or any problems related to towing.

7. Feb 9, 2012 at 6:21 AM
    uiowaguy20

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the advice on the electronic brake. I havn't made a decision on the trailer I will use but I will bear that in mind and do some research and make an informed decision.

I have encountered the same tow rating discrepancy...the only things I can see that the tow package adds to a V-6 Tacoma is the extra cooling devices, a alternator and battery, and the 7 pin wire harness. Since there are no structural, power, or brake upgrades...I really don't see a problem in exceeding the 3500lb as long as the cooling is monitored and the electrics are not overstressed.

Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure I don't have a Canadian spec Tacoma as the original purchaser was in Arkansas. I may consider upgrading the alternator if the trailer I end up getting has lots of bling and a huge amp load (although intially I am thinking this may not be as simple as dropping a bigger alternator in). I don't plan to tow often and likely will not bust the 3500# threshold by more then 500# or so (if at all). I am most concerned about overstressing my engine or burning up my oil, especially while climbing mountains. I am inclined to add a oil cooler as a cheap safeguard but I am concerned that adding a sandwich plate and running the oil to a radiator cooler may adversely affect my oil pressure (which could be why Toyota installed the water cooled sandwich in the tow package). I also don't want to overcool the engine because I sometimes run it in sub-zero temperatures. I like the idea of the OEM solution but I don't see myself shelling out $800+ for this.

I'm kicking myself for not digging into this when I bought it. When I asked if it had a tow package, the salesperson pointed at the tow hitch and looked at me like I was an idiot...serves me for buying a used Toyota at a Chrysler dealership!

Thanks for all for the help so far!

lynyrd3 likes this.
  8. Feb 9, 2012 at 6:28 AM
    uiowaguy20

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the input, I've been moderately happy with my Tacoma so far although it's been pretty quirky. I've had to replace the Cat twice in 3 years (covered by warranty both times) and have had a couple issues with windshield buzzing and a the cracked brush guard...after warranty expired.

Overall it's a good little truck, and if I can get it to tow around a few toys and help with moving, I'll be even more happy.

9. Feb 9, 2012 at 7:07 AM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    I don't think you would need the bigger alternator if you are not pulling a camper the factory package has a provision for charging the camper battery but running extra lights and maybe breaking once in awhile will not tax the system enough to worry about. The engine oil cooler is a nice touch but again if you are not constantly towing 3000#+ up the mountains it maybe just be over kill. As far as over cooling that really is not an issue it does not work at well it just helps bring the oil temp down a bit on hard pulls.

10. Feb 9, 2012 at 7:51 PM
    landphil

landphil Fish are FOOD, not friends!

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    RIP 2006 Tacoma DCSB
    Tundra 5.7 mod
    Sorry, I was referring to mine as being canadian spec. I'll second that you shouldn't need to worry about the alternator, etc. The biggest user of power on a boat trailer is electric brakes, if equipped. The breakaway batteries are usually a small gell cell and don't take a huge amount to keep charged, unlike an RV trailer battery, etc. LED trailer lighting puts very little added load on, would an excellent idea if your trailer had them, for more then this reason. They're very reliable too.

Since the tow package trucks are 6500 lb rated towing capacity with the oil cooler, based on my window decal info, 5000 should be just fine without an oil cooler. At least that's what the factory rated mine at.

lynyrd3 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top