1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Well, hello there Unintended Acceleration.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by minameismud, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Feb 9, 2012 at 9:08 AM
    stewartx

stewartx Well-Known Member

Member:
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    2012 Silver DC SB TRD Off-Road
    Winch, front hitch, step bars, bed extender, bed step, gull-wing toolbox, tailgate lock, security system, cb radio, etc.
    ??? What the heck is "Toyota's fancy engine-kill?" :confused: Never heard of any such creature, thing, or entity.

2. Feb 9, 2012 at 11:03 AM
    azchris

azchris Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Magnetic Grey Dbl Cab 4x4 TRD OffRoad
    Click sig for build thread
    OP doesn't really understand it himself. They put it on all models after the unintended acceleration debacle. Basically, if the engine is under throttle and you apply the brakes, it sets the throttle back to 0. That way, if you push the brakes and gas at the same time, it couldn't accelerate.

OP: Every vehicle I've owned has a big warning not to leave the cruise control on when not in use for this exact reason. Should've just used the brakes or turned the cruise off.

3. Feb 9, 2012 at 11:44 AM
    Antonicus

Antonicus Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    SuperWhite 08 TRD OR AC
    AirRaid intake
    Maybe you only thought you turned it off. A good tap on the brakes is what I use, until I feel the engine stop pushing. Or plan B is just turn off cruise. And I notice climbing hills, Tacoma won't cruise at 70, has to push itself to 75. You probably shut it off before letting it settle.

4. Feb 9, 2012 at 11:53 AM
    derekabraham

derekabraham Living vicariously through everybody

Member:
    First Name:
    TW'S Hippy Liberal
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 4Runner
    Stick on hood scoop from Autozone.
    This.

5. Feb 9, 2012 at 11:59 AM
    wiscdave

wiscdave Lets Do It!

Member:
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Rock Warrior
    Past ride - 3" OME 885s&Shocks/ TSB 1.5AAL/ AX184 Rims 285 Firestone destination ATs/ 2 Shallow mount P310s in Supercrew Box - Punch 601s, Beefed up Hunter Brush guard, Tint, Fog light mod, AFE Drop in, AC and Fog light mods, scangauge
    Your problem sounds like the Normal CC? Have you had CC before?

6. Feb 9, 2012 at 12:11 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    I don't use cruise control much. Since you didn't actually shut it off (you said the cruise light was still lit on the dash) could it be that after you get back to the speed it was set at it automatically resumes?

7. Feb 9, 2012 at 2:39 PM
    iroh

iroh Well-Known Member

Member:
    michigander
    Vehicle:
    07 AC SR5 2.7 5MT 4x4
    tonneau
    if there was a connection problem in the clockspring or switch and it activated resume, but didn't change from that problem condition, it would accelerate the truck because resume also functions as accelerate.

Not sure how exactly that would happen though. Somehow the on/off, set, resume, and cancel all control the computer with only 2 wires and the details of the system are beyond me.

8. Feb 9, 2012 at 4:10 PM
    vbibi

vbibi Well-Known Member

Member:
    san fransisco bay area
    Vehicle:
    2009 4door long bed
    This story goes right up there with my own truck's Gremlins.
    Just driving alone and the radio starts full blast by himself. Till I realized that I was
    touching the controls on the steering well.

9. Feb 9, 2012 at 4:13 PM
    azchris

azchris Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Magnetic Grey Dbl Cab 4x4 TRD OffRoad
    Click sig for build thread
    Yep, it's not instant. I just don't understand why OP was afraid to tap the brakes, even if it had throttle, worst case is you turn the cruise control off with the brakes and slow down a bit till you can put your foot on the gas.

10. Feb 9, 2012 at 4:20 PM
    The1youluv2hate

The1youluv2hate Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peps
    SAnta Paula CA
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD sPort 4x4 (11mgmsport)
    oem pro grill 17” pro rep wheels Fox dsc shocks
    Why not put the truck in neutral

11. Feb 9, 2012 at 4:30 PM
    Fractured

Fractured FPS-a-holic

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    NOR*Cal
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM DCSB 4x4
    TRD wheels, TRD cat back exhaust, ScanGauge 2, Debadged, Avid sliders, UWS bed box w/automatic LED light, Led Interior/Reverse/Lic. Plate lights, Yellow Fogs, Flyzeye Light, Color matched grill, Rearview mirror relocate bracket, Power Sliding rear window, Plasti-dipped bumper/"T" emblem
    FYI, The dealership is going to do nothing. Whether or not it happened, is irrelevant. What is relevant however, is whether or not you can duplicate it on demand.

They are going to take it on a long test drive, then say they couldn't verify anything. Just be prepared.

I spent a long time working at one, and you get things like this all the time.

"every 3rd Wednesday of leap years my muffler bearing makes noise."
    "yeah sure, we will take a look at it.........................could not verify, sorry."

12. Feb 9, 2012 at 5:14 PM
    danimal92sport

danimal92sport Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    dcab, 4WD, TRD O/R
    The OP seems paranoid about the "unintended acceleration" myth in the first place, or he wouldn't have been afraid to tap the brakes due to "engine kill".

Cruise control can be stupid sometimes, but the cruise on my 4.0L 2nd gen Taco is significantly better than my 3rd gen 3.4L 4Runner. That thing would randomly fall 5mph below the set speed and then downshift and get to 10mph over the set speed. WTF?

13. Feb 9, 2012 at 9:33 PM
    stewartx

stewartx Well-Known Member

Member:
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    2012 Silver DC SB TRD Off-Road
    Winch, front hitch, step bars, bed extender, bed step, gull-wing toolbox, tailgate lock, security system, cb radio, etc.
    Got it. Thanks for explaining.

14. Feb 9, 2012 at 9:41 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Brake override software

15. Feb 10, 2012 at 4:06 AM
    minameismud

minameismud [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    11 DC PreRunner SR5
    Fog light mod, clamped tailgate
    Not-so-useful-update: dropped it off at the stealership last night. Haven't heard anything yet.

Yeah, I get that when cruise is active, the speed can vary +/-5 mph depending on incline and stuff. Except when it happened to me, I had deactivated cruise. It was not active when this occurred.

As for the salt possibility, I live in Florida (so no salt trucks), and the closest I get to any coast is still about 15 miles away.

Ok, well, this is my first Toyota after the UA shit hit the fan, so I can only go by what the sales pukes told me. I understood that the engine returns to idle (no shut-off), but one sales puke in particular indicated that if the computer senses both inputs, it not only cuts throttle but adds additional pressure to the brakes past what you would normally feel at a given pedal position. FWIW (and it's not worth all that much), I've never seen a warning like you mention. Though, I can honestly say that I've only cracked open my taco's manual once to get the correct oil weight and volume. My previous car's (Audi A4) manual was almost falling apart due to how many times I had to open it. Then again, the car was getting to that same point :rolleyes:

Can anyone confirm this? Is this in the manual?.

I don't think so, else I would have already experienced it.

Yeah, I expect this has a good 75% chance of happening. However, there's something useful about having it documented. In fact, I couldn't reproduce the issue on the drive from work to the dealer, and it's the exact same route I take to work every morning (in reverse, duh).

Paranoid? Eh, not exactly. Do I want a vehicle that likes accelerating on its own? Hell no. It's still pretty damn new. If it had, say, 60k on the clock, ok. That's a different story. I'd be on here looking for instructions to replace my CC stalk or something. But this thing still has remnants of the stickers on the tire tread from when they were new. I paid for a vehicle with expectations that anyone else would agree with. One of those is that it won't accelerate on its own, whether caused by a wonky cruise control system or the ghosts of squirrels I may or may not have purposely driven over.

16. Feb 10, 2012 at 4:31 AM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius

You really want us to believe you thought that it would be better not to tap the brakes when your trucks accelerating on it's own because you had cars behind you so you used the cruise control to do so which means it WAS ON.

When do you use the brakes then because I always have vehicles behind me when I'm driving?

Your truck has brake lights for a reason.

My guess is driver error based on other things stated in the OP.

17. Feb 10, 2012 at 4:48 AM
    paul's08

paul's08 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    indiana
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport
    Please explane "Toyota's fancy engine kill"?

18. Feb 10, 2012 at 4:59 AM
    minameismud

minameismud [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    11 DC PreRunner SR5
    Fog light mod, clamped tailgate
    RTFF. I don't have any problem brake-checking people - in fact, I have to do it quite often. In this instance, the vehicle behind me wasn't tailgating me, so I didn't think it'd be very nice to brake check him (since I was under the impression that the brakes would be applied stronger than normal). You know, it's called "being considerate".

See post http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/203363-well-hello-there-unintended-acceleration-2.html#post4526299 and my sales-puke-inspired misunderstanding of it which I've quoted above. (Also, fixed that for you.)

19. Feb 10, 2012 at 5:16 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    I use the gas pedal to speed up after cruise has been set and it returns to speed it was set on after removing foot from pedal, I use stalk to coast, I have tapped brakes to cancel, I can cancel with pwr button on stalk, I can accelerate with stalk, I have left it on after cancelling setting and drove with no issues. Good God people, what are y'all doing, lol. Maybe the automatics just can't handle all this electronic spoofery all fighting with itself for which function is in control. That'd be my guess at all this mysto shit. Who knows? Mine is 5 speed and have never had any weirdness out of cruise control, gas pedal or any unintended shit. Hell, it's a 4 banger, scary intended acceleration isn't even possible much less anything unintended. The cc in the 08 was the one in my 05. I took it out before trading the 05 in on the 08. It's been in 2 different trucks and never an issue.

That would not apply here. The Saturn has a throttle cable and a cruise actuator with another cable as you have described. Tacomas are drive by wire and all that shit happens electronically.

20. Feb 10, 2012 at 5:20 AM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius

You don't have to "brake check" someone to stop the cruise control. A simple bit of light pressure can be applied to the brake for a second while your foot is still on the gas.

I just would never think to "think" in a panic situation. If my truck accelerates unintentionally I would brake, not "think" while performing an on road diagnostic of what I should do.

Just seems goofy IMO.

Products Discussed in

To Top