Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Tinting Tail lights

Old 02-09-2012, 10:28 AM   #1
stattonmw has a brilliant futurestattonmw has a brilliant futurestattonmw has a brilliant futurestattonmw has a brilliant futurestattonmw has a brilliant futurestattonmw has a brilliant futurestattonmw has a brilliant futurestattonmw has a brilliant futurestattonmw has a brilliant futurestattonmw has a brilliant futurestattonmw has a brilliant future
Name: Statton
stattonmw's Tacoma Gallery
Tinting Tail lights

I have read the sticky thread on here using the vht spray tint... how many of you guys have gone the vinyl wrap/tint method?

Any complaints? I just dont know how I feel about making them permenantly colored that way especially if I get hasseled a lot from law enforcement.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:31 AM   #2
Nothin
krimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krimson's Tacoma Gallery
If you are questioning doing it with repercussions of law enforcement. Don't do it... Have you ever considered looking into tail lights with a black housing?
Old 02-09-2012, 10:34 AM   #3
stattonmw has a brilliant futurestattonmw has a brilliant futurestattonmw has a brilliant futurestattonmw has a brilliant futurestattonmw has a brilliant futurestattonmw has a brilliant futurestattonmw has a brilliant futurestattonmw has a brilliant futurestattonmw has a brilliant futurestattonmw has a brilliant futurestattonmw has a brilliant future
I want to do it... and I doubt I will have any trouble with law inforcement although in the rare case I did spraying them is perminent! whereas the wrap is not. And who knows, I may not like how it looks... I have but only found a few options on ebay which I am not a huge fan of.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:49 AM   #6
Wild Ginger
BrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BrettBretterson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stattonmw View Post
I want to do it...spraying them is perminent! whereas the wrap is not.
VHT is far from permanent, and is actually fairly easy to remove.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:05 AM   #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey05Taco View Post
i had my tailights wrapped, i paid a guy at a tint shop to do it.
What did it run you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalTacos View Post
tinted tail lights...
That actually looks really good! If you dont mind me asking... How much did he charge you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettBretterson View Post
VHT is far from permanent, and is actually fairly easy to remove.
News to me... learn something new everyday!
Old 02-09-2012, 11:19 AM   #8
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
What did it run you?

That actually looks really good! If you dont mind me asking... How much did he charge you?

News to me... learn something new everyday!
not permanent in the case being that you wet sand off all the paint and restore them back to stock with lots of elbow grease and love.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:26 AM   #10
Casey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant future

Name: Casey
Casey05Taco's Tacoma Gallery
He charged me 80 bucks to do my tails and my 3rd brake light. Also with a lifetime warranty.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:32 AM   #12
Wild Ginger
BrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Runner View Post
not permanent in the case being that you wet sand off all the paint and restore them back to stock with lots of elbow grease and love.
Wet sanding is only necessary in extreme cases where the VHT has baked into the plastic over a long period of sun exposure, like in Phoenix. Here in Washington, VHT will almost always come off with a paper towel and paint thinner or gasoline, in a matter of a couple minutes.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:27 PM   #13
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettBretterson View Post
Wet sanding is only necessary in extreme cases where the VHT has baked into the plastic over a long period of sun exposure, like in Phoenix. Here in Washington, VHT will almost always come off with a paper towel and paint thinner or gasoline, in a matter of a couple minutes.
that sounds a lot easier than what I did!
Old 02-09-2012, 01:09 PM   #14
Does VHT go on fairly smoothly?
Old 02-09-2012, 02:37 PM   #15
Twiostaco has a brilliant futureTwiostaco has a brilliant futureTwiostaco has a brilliant futureTwiostaco has a brilliant futureTwiostaco has a brilliant futureTwiostaco has a brilliant futureTwiostaco has a brilliant futureTwiostaco has a brilliant futureTwiostaco has a brilliant futureTwiostaco has a brilliant futureTwiostaco has a brilliant future

Name: Austin
Twiostaco's Tacoma Gallery
I would think in the event of an accident the person who rear ends you could claim that they couldnt see your lights good enough. The officer might site you for the ticket.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:03 PM   #16
Wild Ginger

Quote:
Does VHT go on fairly smoothly?
Personally I don't like VHT because it goes on so dark, even with only 1 coat. BUT, I also hate black lenses, I like smoked lenses, and charcoal can be a little difficult to achieve with VHT in particular.

This is what I use and it goes on really well, and is easy to tint to the level you want. Autozone is the only place that I have ever been able to find it at: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...ier=87705_0_0_

Old 02-09-2012, 03:17 PM   #17
Out fer a Rip eh Bud
VanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: DJ
VanCity4x's Tacoma Gallery
Id do them for you if I was closer or you wanted to drop them off. Bought the sub off you. Used VHT, got it smother then the origional lights. Have some pics in my build. Have a couple buddies that want them done too. Used the how to below. 2 very light coats followed by lacquer and sanding/polishing.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lig...-way-pics.html
Old 02-10-2012, 09:12 PM   #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ERS TACOMA View Post
Id do them for you if I was closer or you wanted to drop them off. Bought the sub off you. Used VHT, got it smother then the origional lights. Have some pics in my build. Have a couple buddies that want them done too. Used the how to below. 2 very light coats followed by lacquer and sanding/polishing.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lig...-way-pics.html
haha well if you are ever back in the area let me know! I buy some beer and pizza! I looked at that seems to be pretty simple but really time consuming... might just have to bunker down and do it.

I saw you posted the sub up for sale??? was everything okay with it?
Old 02-11-2012, 05:50 AM   #19
windowtinter is on a distinguished road
Name: Chris
windowtinter's Tacoma Gallery
I tried to do mine with transparent vinyl yesterday, its a pita. Got frustrated and gave up but ill try it again soon im sure..
Old 02-11-2012, 01:29 PM   #20
sfoxwoody is a splendid one to beholdsfoxwoody is a splendid one to beholdsfoxwoody is a splendid one to beholdsfoxwoody is a splendid one to beholdsfoxwoody is a splendid one to beholdsfoxwoody is a splendid one to beholdsfoxwoody is a splendid one to behold
Firefighter: FIREFIRGHTER, GSAR, HAZMAT, DIVE
sfoxwoody's Tacoma Gallery
I used that Rust-oleum tint on my blinker lens and markers while doing BHLM and it sucks, its so speckled looking, I'm not a rookie with the spray paint either!