Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Plasti Dip questions Show me your interior !!!

Old 02-09-2012, 07:38 PM   #1
2011BlackTaco will become famous soon enough

Name: Josh
2011BlackTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Plasti Dip questions Show me your interior !!!

Hey yall i did some research through the threads but the mega plasti dip thread has to many pages to read i made it through about 15 of them. I am a novice with the plasti dip but i have noticed its just rubbed in a can and is safe on paint. Are there any limits to what can be plasti dipped. I wanna see anyones pictures of plasti dipped interior components !!! I was looking at some pictures and I i like the black dash interior components. will the textured dash be able to be plasti dipped without it looking bubbly or messed up ? Can anything be plasti dipped ?
Old 02-09-2012, 08:04 PM   #2

didnt even know i could do that. im still learning things about TW. appreciate the help!!
Old 02-09-2012, 08:06 PM   #3
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
I have plastic dipped a lot of things... but my interior wont be one of them. It will come off of nearly anything that rubs against it often. I dunno, try it! I wouldn't recommend it though.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:10 PM   #4
Casey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant future

Name: Casey
Casey05Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I had my center console and cd player area plastidipped, then I decided to remove it and painted it black.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by memario1214 View Post
I have plastic dipped a lot of things... but my interior wont be one of them. It will come off of nearly anything that rubs against it often. I dunno, try it! I wouldn't recommend it though.
good point maybe i wont do the plasti dip. Would the pieces around the air vents be easy to paint black ? i have tried painting some interior pieces on other trucks but sometimes the interior pieces do not absorb color well and they start to look cracked. Any suggestions on how to prep interior for paint ?
Old 02-09-2012, 08:35 PM   #6
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
Scuffing paste applied with scotch-brite pads... Then apply plastic primer... Then paint! Clear coat if you so desire.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:51 AM   #7
Texas Aggie
CO Taco is a splendid one to beholdCO Taco is a splendid one to beholdCO Taco is a splendid one to beholdCO Taco is a splendid one to beholdCO Taco is a splendid one to beholdCO Taco is a splendid one to beholdCO Taco is a splendid one to behold
Name: Tyler
CO Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011BlackTaco View Post
good point maybe i wont do the plasti dip. Would the pieces around the air vents be easy to paint black ? i have tried painting some interior pieces on other trucks but sometimes the interior pieces do not absorb color well and they start to look cracked. Any suggestions on how to prep interior for paint ?
it goes on easy and doesn't bubble. the more coats the better.. i think i used 5-6 coats on all my interior. The trick is masking everything off; i've found with plasti-dip that you want to mask less on the edges, because you can rub off overspray, but the P-D has a habit peeling off with the painter's tape and coming off of the plastic components. if you over taped and this happens, you can use a razor to separate them, but that's definitely not ideal.

here's my P-d interior
Old 08-29-2013, 05:41 PM   #8
Riverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Collin
Riverdog's Tacoma Gallery
I thought about using plasti dip on mine, but then decided to paint instead. I knew I liked the black, so I figured why do something temporary. I used SEM paint products and it turned out great. It hasn't rubbed off or worn at all and its been almost a year I think. If you go this route and have questions or anything, PM me.

Old 08-29-2013, 05:49 PM   #9
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Click my build thread. Everything black on my truck, aside from the taillight gaurds, that isn't factory from the factory black is derp. Right now that would include..

Front Lower Valence, Front Grill, A/C Climate Controls, Badges, Bull Bar, and Rear Bumper.

It's awesome stuff. I had also done my cup holders and shifter surround, but due to the constant contact you come into with that area the derp wears off quickly.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:52 PM   #10
jw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jason
jw1983's Tacoma Gallery
Steering wheel steering silver handles:

Oh shit handles.

Overhead console:

Old 08-29-2013, 05:55 PM   #11
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
The oh shit handles and console look stock still?

The steering wheel looks cool though.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:58 PM   #12
jw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jason
jw1983's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaos View Post
The oh shit handles and console look stock still?

The steering wheel looks cool though.
They're actually black. I know it's hard to tell because it was cloudy and rainy outside when I finished the project and took the picture.

Since that I used a stock nozzle that came in the can, there wasn't enough coats on the steering wheel, even though I did 6 coats. It came off within 2 weeks and I removed it. I am going to redo it eventually and get better nozzles.