Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Tailgate ez down struts?

Old 12-05-2008, 04:06 PM   #1
808trdsport has a spectacular aura about808trdsport has a spectacular aura about

808trdsport's Tacoma Gallery
Tailgate ez down struts?

I'm looking for something like this for a 2nd gen Taco. Anyone know if:
1. do they make one for the 2nd gen?
2. whats the brand?
3. is it worth it?

I want to get this for my kids and wife. Mostly my kids, i hate when they try to open the tailgate and they cant hold it up so it slams down.
Old 12-05-2008, 04:08 PM   #2
Jay Swift is on a distinguished road

Navy: HM3, Surgical Technologist
Jay Swift's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.redlinetuning.com/products_ezdown.html

here you go!
Old 12-05-2008, 04:09 PM   #3
808trdsport has a spectacular aura about808trdsport has a spectacular aura about

thanks you guys are better than Google!
Old 12-05-2008, 04:29 PM   #4
Johnson8537 is a name known to allJohnson8537 is a name known to allJohnson8537 is a name known to allJohnson8537 is a name known to allJohnson8537 is a name known to allJohnson8537 is a name known to all

Johnson8537's Tacoma Gallery
I loved mine on my Silverado....
I have heard mixed reviews on the Tacoma... Chafing the Cable...

( here is the thread...
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...ghlight=EZdown)

I hope this helps... If you get it let us know what you think.
Old 12-05-2008, 04:48 PM   #5
Are these black helicopters for me?
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
there is also a write up in the cheap/free mods section
Old 12-05-2008, 08:03 PM   #6
Senior Senile Member
sunruner19 is a splendid one to beholdsunruner19 is a splendid one to beholdsunruner19 is a splendid one to beholdsunruner19 is a splendid one to beholdsunruner19 is a splendid one to beholdsunruner19 is a splendid one to beholdsunruner19 is a splendid one to behold

Navy: Seabees 27th Battalion
Name: Bill
Location: Great Sacandaga Lake region Northville NY, South Yarmouth, Cape Cod Ma.
sunruner19's Tacoma Gallery
I installed the tail gate gas shock on my truck and there is an issue with the cable. I removed the cable for now, and going to give them a call about it.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:59 PM   #7
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunruner19 View Post
I installed the tail gate gas shock on my truck and there is an issue with the cable. I removed the cable for now, and going to give them a call about it.
Whats the issue?
Old 12-05-2008, 09:22 PM   #8
Dirty White Boy
Marc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marc
Marc M's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Marc M
I have one installed, no problems at all...

Marc M
Old 12-05-2008, 09:53 PM   #9
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc M View Post
I have one installed, no problems at all...

Marc M
Good to hear. Im considering one of these.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:12 PM   #10

Thanks, Phantom!
Old 12-05-2008, 10:22 PM   #11
WESTern Alliance: NORCAL COAST
BeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BeefTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunruner19 View Post
When we were doing the group buy with Redlinetuning us with 08's inquired about the EZ-Down system we were told it would not work. There site shows it fits 05-07 has that changed ? Thanks
Old 12-06-2008, 12:17 AM   #12
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
Kyouto42's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Kyouto42 Send a message via MSN to Kyouto42
Eh, it's a tailgate. If it can't handle falling open, how the hell is it supposed to support the weight of cargo loading (like quads). I know there's a TSB for bent gates, but that should resolve it. Can't say I've ever had an issue with a gate... :/
Old 12-06-2008, 07:52 AM   #13
tsilliker is a glorious beacon of lighttsilliker is a glorious beacon of lighttsilliker is a glorious beacon of lighttsilliker is a glorious beacon of lighttsilliker is a glorious beacon of light

tsilliker's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to tsilliker
I personally don't really need or want the ez downs. But I can see why some folks would. It's loud and annoying if it bangs down and having the thing lower down on its own would be slick.

I've dropped my tailgate open a few times. The noise is annoying, but I never thought it would damage anything. To each his own I suppose.
Old 12-06-2008, 12:41 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyouto42 View Post
Eh, it's a tailgate. If it can't handle falling open, how the hell is it supposed to support the weight of cargo loading (like quads). I know there's a TSB for bent gates, but that should resolve it. Can't say I've ever had an issue with a gate... :/
i just don't want it to slam on my sons head. my 10 year old can open it fine, but of course my 6 year old wants to try it too.
Old 12-06-2008, 12:53 PM   #15
toku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

toku58's Tacoma Gallery
If you are installing them on a stock tailgate? You'll need to trim your black panel a bit for clearance.

I got mine off Ebay, they had the best price.

You can see the part that I trimmed, from the hinge to just above the support cable.
Old 12-06-2008, 12:56 PM   #16
David Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David Tarantino's Tacoma Gallery
i had it on my truck and removed it for the same problem
Old 12-06-2008, 12:58 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom View Post

the clearance seems to be a bit too tight, cable chaffs and binds up on opening/closing
(from another forum with a long thread on this )

was reported when it came out for tacoma and was re-designed a year or so again but still complaints
i need to get a bigger T-40 wrench, i have one but it uses a screwdriver type of bit. That sucker is tight! I cant get enough leverage to un-screw the tail gate bolt.
Old 12-10-2008, 01:16 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by toku58 View Post
If you trim the tailgate cover, it works just fine.
i'm guessing you removed the plastic from the tailgate before you trimmed it? What did you use? hack saw? i need to trim that part too.
Old 12-10-2008, 04:46 AM   #20
Joe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to behold
Joe B's Tacoma Gallery
Will this EZ Down fit an '09?
No listing for an '08 or '09.
I would think it does but want to make sure.