1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Throw out bearing TSB#3558

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by darkgohan, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Feb 10, 2012 at 6:35 PM
    darkgohan

darkgohan [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Can I request that AISIN replacement parts be used if I have the POS LUK version as my factory install? They will be replacing,the clutch release bearing,clutch release cylinder,and clutch release fork support. My dealer says he has to see what type of clutch I have installed before he can order the parts,so I need to know whether I can in fact request the Aisin one,even if I end up having the POS LUK as my factory original. Also read somewhere that the tsb indicates the replacement of any clutch parts that are not stamped AISIN. Hoping some of the people here have had this issue and can enlighten me before I go to my next appt. These service reps are just not up to speed I have found. This happens on Tues. so need to know. Thank you:)

2. Feb 11, 2012 at 2:31 PM
    darkgohan

Member:
    Anyone?

3. Feb 11, 2012 at 10:21 PM
    Fed Taco

Fed Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cale
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off Road
    Wheels & Tires, weathertech floor liners, Areo Turbine Exhaust
    There was a TSB for clutch? I complained about mine they didn't mention anything to me, bastards. Oh well I traded that truck in anyway.

4. Feb 12, 2012 at 7:05 AM
    darkgohan

Member:
    Thank you,at least I know I am on the right track. I wll at least be able to advise these dolts of the issues I mentioned above and c if a little pressure can do anything,as it is a common issue from what I have read here and elsewhere. :)

5. Feb 12, 2012 at 8:05 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    The Luk brand was replaced with the Aisin brand as far as the pressure plate and clutch go, sometime during 2008.

In all actuality, the Luk brand clutch was a stronger more reliably built clutch than the Aisin replacement. There are thousands of people with the factory replacement Aisin clutch, or installed that have sheared the clutch disk from the clutch hub. Thinner material was used, that holds the hub to disk. Some were accelereating fast, some were just taking off from a light.

Best bet is to have them go in on the cost of the OEM clutch, but have them put that towards the cost of a better aftermarket clutch. Yes, some have been known to do that. Or get the better clutch, and have them install it.

If you search www.xr-underground.com about factory clutch problems, you will find plenty of ammunition.

Check out this link as well. :)

http://www.urdusa.com/p1260519023/T...IT,-2005+-Tacoma-V6-6-Speed/product_info.html

6. Feb 12, 2012 at 9:06 AM
    darkgohan

Member:
    Wow,this is thorough info,thanks this will assist me when I go to the dealer. Much appreciated. :)

7. Feb 14, 2012 at 3:46 PM
    darkgohan

Member:
    Well they pulled my trans out to do the T.O.B fix, and tell me that the factory originally used a LUK tob,on a AISIN clutch assembly.WTF.Thus they now have to reorder the AISIN TOB?? :confused:

8. Feb 22, 2012 at 6:54 PM
    mhuegerich

mhuegerich Member

Member:
    St. Louis, MO
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma D-Cab TRD 4x4
    My Tacoma (09 TRD Sport, 40,000 miles) is going through the clutch TSB right now. I debated adding the PDM or URD bearing parts, but decided against it because I wasn't sure how it affected the remainder of the warranty.

Has anyone had clutch or throw out bearing problems after having the TSB work completed?

9. Feb 22, 2012 at 7:35 PM
    darkgohan

Member:
    Yes this is a good question I also would like to know. Sounds real good right now,and does shift nicer?

10. Feb 23, 2012 at 5:12 PM
    mhuegerich

mhuegerich Member

Member:
    St. Louis, MO
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma D-Cab TRD 4x4
    The TSB was completed today. The pedal is lower effort (almost pushed my foot through the floor board), the clutch engagement starts near the floor, and the pedal travel is very smooth.

It's hard to tell if it shifts any better, but it is now very quite while idling.

The dealer claimed no damage to the pressure plate or clutch plate. Just the TSB parts were replaced.

I'm very happy now. Just hope it lasts.

11. Feb 23, 2012 at 10:34 PM
    beef tube

beef tube Active Member

Member:
    Down South
    Vehicle:
    06 4WD TRD offroad 6-spd.
    265/75R16 Revo 2's, URD short shifter, cueball knob, Fog light mod
    What are the chances I'd be able to get this done on a 2006 with 68,000 miles? (I'm assuming approximately 0%)

12. Feb 24, 2012 at 6:48 AM
    Wally

Wally Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ontario (the metric version)
    Vehicle:
    07 Access Cab TRD 4x4 6MT 1GR-FE
    Did they replace the clutch release cylinder as well? The geometry of the new throwout bearing is different and the matching release cylinder is longer to compensate. I replaced the parts myself and there was no difference in the clutch engagement point, it's still high and early. If they didn't do the release cylinder as well, you would have to push the clutch pedal much farther down to get it to release. If you don't have a nice new brown release cylinder on your tranny, they didn't do it properly. I'd double check. Look at these pictures to see the difference.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Feb 24, 2012 at 9:50 PM
    mhuegerich

mhuegerich Member

Member:
    St. Louis, MO
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma D-Cab TRD 4x4
    The release cylinder is brown and looks new. The brown color is unusual. It doesn't look like a standard metal finish.

Plus, the service report noted the parts that were changed.

I'd still like to know if the TSB a permanent fix, or will the problem show up in a few thousand miles.

14. Mar 28, 2012 at 9:03 PM
    mhuegerich

mhuegerich Member

Member:
    St. Louis, MO
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma D-Cab TRD 4x4
    One final follow-up to the clutch TSB. I'm about 2000 miles into the fix, and no issues have returned. When I picked it up from the dealer, the clutch engaged close to the floor. Now it engages much farther out in the pedal travel (like before the fix). Must have take a few days to break everything in or move a few air bubbles out of the line.

My truck is much quieter than prior to the fix.

15. Mar 28, 2012 at 10:21 PM
    MotorsportsAustin

MotorsportsAustin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Belmont, CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Off Road 6spd
    Aisin sucks so badly at every manual box & component they make. It's amazing that Porsche buys from them for their mainstream production cars, then again Porsche (non-GT series) engines are made by Fuji.

Igor at Clutchnet in Southern California is the best in the West at building custom clutches. Call him if you're outside warranty but want quality.

16. Nov 30, 2012 at 7:45 AM
    71roadrunner

71roadrunner Active Member

Member:

I was wondering how your repair has performed over the past 8 months ?

17. Nov 30, 2012 at 9:25 AM
    mhuegerich

mhuegerich Member

Member:
    St. Louis, MO
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma D-Cab TRD 4x4
    About 10,000 miles into the fix, and no issues so far. The clutch is quiet, and I haven't noticed any changes in the pedal feel or the clutch operatoin.

I know there are owners out there with many more miles on the TSB than I have. I wonder if anyone has had a problem with the fix.

18. Sep 26, 2015 at 3:09 PM
    mhuegerich

mhuegerich Member

Member:
    St. Louis, MO
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma D-Cab TRD 4x4
    Well...the chirp is back. My truck's mileage is 90,000, so the "fix" lasted a bit longer than the original parts. I had the service work performed at 40,000 miles.

I'll be discussing this with my dealer soon, and hope for something more than a temporary solution.

Has anyone else had the clutch TSB work fail?

19. Sep 26, 2015 at 10:41 PM
    Jason J

Jason J Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma 4x4
    The longer rod and stiffer spring in the slave cylinder only adds increased pressure on the release bearing it doesn't change the travel. The longer rod will affect where the piston in the slave parks when released but it still travels the same distance based on the displacement of fluid from the master cylinder. This slave cylinder pictured is now the superceded number and is used with new or old release bearings.

Products Discussed in

To Top