1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Yellow Lamin-X for fogs on a 2012

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Fractured, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Feb 11, 2012 at 2:48 PM
    pataco

pataco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Down by the lake
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 trd dc white
    FOX 2.0 RESIS,LRUCAS,BILLY 5100S ON THE REAR.MAGNAFLOW 11264,COLOR MATCHED GRILL,YELLOW FOG MOD.OVER HEAD DVD,FEDERAL COURAGIA M/T
    i used the film and can see them great.they look shitty over time though
    10-4

2. Feb 11, 2012 at 3:37 PM
    Fractured

Fractured [OP] FPS-a-holic

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    NOR*Cal
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM DCSB 4x4
    TRD wheels, TRD cat back exhaust, ScanGauge 2, Debadged, Avid sliders, UWS bed box w/automatic LED light, Led Interior/Reverse/Lic. Plate lights, Yellow Fogs, Flyzeye Light, Color matched grill, Rearview mirror relocate bracket, Power Sliding rear window, Plasti-dipped bumper/"T" emblem

What state do you live in? Is there harsh conditions like road salt, etc?

3. Feb 11, 2012 at 4:02 PM
    pataco

pataco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Down by the lake
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 trd dc white
    FOX 2.0 RESIS,LRUCAS,BILLY 5100S ON THE REAR.MAGNAFLOW 11264,COLOR MATCHED GRILL,YELLOW FOG MOD.OVER HEAD DVD,FEDERAL COURAGIA M/T
    i live in pa. and yes on the harsh conditions.salt and chemicals in the winter.

4. Feb 11, 2012 at 5:22 PM
    over60

over60 Over70 & still a "Grumpy Old Guy"

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Muskoka, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2016 Inferno (Punkin) TRD 4X4 Sport DCLB w/upgrade & tech pkg..!!
    Toyota running boards/Solid Fold 2.0/custom stickers/Anti-Dark LED light under hood/Derped grill/Scoop, etc.
    I did the Hyper Yellow bulb replacement last year.... I run those lights and the DTRLs all the time....I only use my super bright aftermarket headlights when I need them.... These 4 lights are on ALL the time..... NO issues.....

Over

5. Feb 11, 2012 at 7:22 PM
    Fractured

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    NOR*Cal
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM DCSB 4x4
    TRD wheels, TRD cat back exhaust, ScanGauge 2, Debadged, Avid sliders, UWS bed box w/automatic LED light, Led Interior/Reverse/Lic. Plate lights, Yellow Fogs, Flyzeye Light, Color matched grill, Rearview mirror relocate bracket, Power Sliding rear window, Plasti-dipped bumper/"T" emblem
    :cheers:

6. Feb 12, 2012 at 5:35 AM
    LUSETACO

LUSETACO Here for the Taco Pron

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    South Central Pee A
    Vehicle:
    2005 PIMP MOBILE
    Yes
  7. Feb 12, 2012 at 8:40 AM
    Fractured

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    NOR*Cal
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM DCSB 4x4
  8. Feb 12, 2012 at 9:37 AM
    LUSETACO

LUSETACO Here for the Taco Pron

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    South Central Pee A
    Vehicle:
    2005 PIMP MOBILE
    Yes
    I'm not sure about the lamin x but these are pretty thick. Just heat them up, get them wet and squeegie them on.
    [​IMG]

9. Feb 19, 2012 at 11:53 AM
    Gabe911

Gabe911 Well-Known Member

Member:
    FLORIDA
    Vehicle:
    10 PreRunner MGM
    Debadged, Rear TSB, Blue LED dome and Bright White Map Lights, Hard Top Tonneau Cover, OME885 coils (no top plate spacers)OME shocks and struts, 1.5" AAL for TSB Rear,285/70/17 Trail Grapplers, 17x9 XD Addicts with 4.5 bs, Black 4" exhaust tip, Bed pocket lights, rear diff breather Mod
    I just did the lamin-x yellow and found that 80% of the film sticks great and the other 20% not so good...I still have the outer edges flipping up on me...if it continues probably go with the paint....just my 2 cents

10. Feb 19, 2012 at 12:17 PM
    Fractured

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    NOR*Cal
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM DCSB 4x4
    Is yours a 2012? The 2012 fogs are concave- not flat.

11. Feb 21, 2012 at 7:13 PM
    Fractured

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    NOR*Cal
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM DCSB 4x4
    So I ended up ordering the 2011 fog film, because the 2012 Isn't out yet. When they got here, I removed the fogs and prepared to install the film. I realized the film is for a more "flat" fog light. My 2012 are really round and concave, almost like a ball.

I figured WTF and I might as well try to throw these on and see what happens. If the come out crappy, I am out $16.00.

Step 1. Clean old fog light with alcohol
    Step 2. Heat Film for a couple minutes with Girlfriends Hair dryer
    Step 3. Install film- Center it well. start working your way to the edges from the center.

* This is where things started to get iffy. Due to the fact that the film is flat and the fog is round, it started to "fold"- almost like a cupcake paper cup (but not that bad).

I just worked slowly, and heated up the areas that were bunching up and pulled and stretched until all the little ridges were gone. It came out really well- there are still some ridges, but they cannot be seen due to the bezel that surrounds the fogs on the 2012.

Before:
    [​IMG]

Comparison:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sorry for the shitty pics. It is night here, and I had to take the pictures in my Parking garage and I can't take a good night pic for the life of me. I will take one in daylight tomorrow for comparison.

12. Feb 21, 2012 at 7:22 PM
    S7ICKlVlAN

S7ICKlVlAN Cpt. Bubbleguts

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport DCSB
    TRD badged | Hunting Cage | Smoked Tails | LED Everything | Slim Cubby HID bi-xenon's | Spidertrax 1.25" | BHLM | FLM | S2000 Ant | 20% Shade | PL 8521 | OME 885 | Bilstein 5100's | Toytec 2" AAL | FN 18x9" Bronze BFD's | 275/65-18 Duratrac's | Wrinkle Red Valve Covers | 3M Di-Noc Wrapped Interior | Kode MB Push Button Ignition | Relentless Sliders | URD TCAI | Mr.Marv Enclosure | Arc Audio 10" | Hybrid Audio Clarus F/R | Alpine PDX-5 | Alpine INE-S920HD
    Looks really good bro. Props!

13. Feb 21, 2012 at 7:43 PM
    DIVERMAN

DIVERMAN Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cullen
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite Mica 4x4 TRD O/R SWB
    Tailgate theft prevention, Locking rear window, Blind spot mirrors, Fogs on anytime, Rear diff breather relocated, Bed storage locks, LEDs in/out, Relocated trailer plug(custom!), OEM bed mat, OEM running boards, OEM bed divider, Bed lights, Rev lights, Raptor lights, WeatherTech floor mats and window vents, Extra D-rings, ImMrYo Bracket, UWS low pro black toolbox, Carhartt seat covers,
    looks good! i'm conflicted on weather i want to do this...

14. Feb 21, 2012 at 8:42 PM
    Fractured

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    NOR*Cal
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM DCSB 4x4
    Do it! Only cost is 16.50 or so and 30 mins of time. It will protect against chips as well

15. Feb 22, 2012 at 2:10 PM
    DIVERMAN

DIVERMAN Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cullen
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite Mica 4x4 TRD O/R SWB
    Tailgate theft prevention, Locking rear window, Blind spot mirrors, Fogs on anytime, Rear diff breather relocated, Bed storage locks, LEDs in/out, Relocated trailer plug(custom!), OEM bed mat, OEM running boards, OEM bed divider, Bed lights, Rev lights, Raptor lights, WeatherTech floor mats and window vents, Extra D-rings, ImMrYo Bracket, UWS low pro black toolbox, Carhartt seat covers,

i've used the clear protectors from x-pel.com on just about all of my trucks. never used the yellow. just wondering how they are to on coming traffic. i run my fogs with the headlights, no matter what.

16. Feb 22, 2012 at 2:13 PM
    RAD

RAD Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Rad
    LAX & LOGAN

Don't feel bad. The always come flat and you shape them. The 05-11 are as round as the 2012 but bigger. You just razor and trim the excess edges and you're golden. Watch what bulbs you put in. They will heat up and start to melt the Lamin-X to the plastic housing. It happened to mine.

I'll never use Lamin-X again unless its on something thats not going to get too hot. Looks Awesome:D

17. Feb 22, 2012 at 8:04 PM
    Fractured

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    NOR*Cal
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM DCSB 4x4

I used the nokya bulbs. They don't get all that hot which is nice. I tried them out on a 1 hour drive and they were warm, but not that bad.

18. Feb 23, 2012 at 3:38 AM
    DheadTaco

DheadTaco Pill it till you kill it!

Member:
    Gulf Coast, Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma PreRunner SR5 Impulse Red Pearl
    -Color Matched Grill & Toyota emblem -Headlights from WOTM -Tinted Fogs with Lamin-x (Tint) -Tinted taillights with Lamin-x (Tint) -6K HIDs in headlights and fogs -20% tint all around -Plasti-dipped badges -Plasti-dipped back bumper -Mud flap mod -'10 running-boards -LEDs all around -AFE drop-in
    I wonder what will happen with running my hid's?

19. Feb 23, 2012 at 8:52 PM
    Fractured

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    NOR*Cal
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM DCSB 4x4

Good question. Do they get hot to the touch after leaving them on? My fogs are glass not plastic, so they might get a little hotter.

Products Discussed in

To Top