1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Newbie has some questions

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by EODTech08, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Feb 10, 2012 at 11:14 PM
    EODTech08

EODTech08 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Oahu, HI
    Vehicle:
    '11 Access Cab TRD Off-Road
    FX-R Retrofits, Hood Struts, aFe CAI, Wet Okoles, Pioneer AVH-P8400BH Head Unit,
    So I'm currently deployed but when I get back I plan to buy a 2012 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport Upgrade package. Even with buying the truck I'm still going to want to do some mods obviously.

I've never really worked on trucks (or vehicles in general) so this is gonna be a learning experience.

My biggest question is about the lift I want to do. I'm looking at doing 3" lift with 32" tires (I've read a lot on here that 33" rub). I have a slight idea what all is needed for a lift but I was wondering if anyone could give me some? Brands? Pre Made kits? I'm not wanting to do spacers I want a full suspension lift. I know I'll need front coil overs, rear add a leafs, and new shocks. Not sure what else will be needed.

Thanks ahead of time for your input!

Jake

2. Feb 11, 2012 at 8:29 AM
    jw1983

jw1983 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    13' Tacoma Access 4x4 OR
    I can't bring any info to you for what you're looking for. I'm in the same boat, not be as mechically inclined as I wish I could be.
    I came on your thread to welcome to you to the forum. There is alot of information here. Enjoy!

3. Feb 11, 2012 at 10:42 AM
    jammdogg

jammdogg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Hillsboro, OR
    Vehicle:
    13 Spruce Mica DCLB
    6" ProComp lift on 35 MT's. ARB Bumper.
    Welcome! There are LOTS of options for you, depending on your budget.

Toytech Ultimate Lift Kit
    Bilstein 5100 with Eibach Coils and an AAL for the rear.
    Fox and King make great coilover kits.

Again, budget will be they keys as to what kit to purchase. How hard you will wheel it, what type of wheeling, (desert, mountains) are another consideration.

I am also not mechanically inclined, and was able to have my Bilsteins installed at a local tire shop. Of course, when you return from your deployment, look for a mod/meet day. Our members on this site kick ass when it comes to helping out!

Good luck, and thanks for your service!

PS. Check out DownsouthMotorsports.com. The guys there are not only knowledgeable, they are super helpful and take good care of their customers.

4. Feb 11, 2012 at 11:02 AM
    EODTech08

EODTech08 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Oahu, HI
    Vehicle:
    '11 Access Cab TRD Off-Road
    FX-R Retrofits, Hood Struts, aFe CAI, Wet Okoles, Pioneer AVH-P8400BH Head Unit,
    Thanks for the welcoming and the input!

Well all around I'm probably looking at $8,000 to spend on the truck. That's if I can get the truck for under 30k with the specifications I want.

That's going to include lift, tires, HID lights, maybe sliders, sound system depending on the quality of the stock one, any tools needed, magna flow exhaust, and a cold air intake lol. So probably looking at around 3k for the lift? I haven't really priced everything out yet. Was wanting to figure out and price the lift first.

So far what I'm finding is that not many sites list products for the 2012 model. Will lifts for 2011/2010 fit the 2012? From what I've read the only changes made were the front end and stereo basically but I just want to make sure.

Products Discussed in

To Top