1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need muffler suggestion for DTLT's

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Krusey1011, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Feb 11, 2012 at 10:28 AM
    Krusey1011

Krusey1011 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Washington
    I have had a K&N high performance intake, DTLT's, and a flowmaster 40 series on my truck for about two years now. Their are some things I wish I would have done differently. My flowmaster 40 series muffler was too loud partnered with my DTLT's when they were first paired together and over time the muffler has gotten louder. I've been wanting to change out the muffler for a while now. After just hearing my girlfriend take off in my truck going up a hill and hearing what a loud poc it sounds like, I'm ashamed and it's time.

Any experience with a nice muffler paired with the DTLT's? I'm looking for a quite/smooth sounding ride now and I'm open to suggestions.

2. Feb 11, 2012 at 10:57 AM
    novanut21

novanut21 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    North Central,WV
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD SPORT
    AFE CAI, Magnaflow cat-back, TRD S/C, TRD Quickshifter, URD Fuel Pump Kit, Wet Okoles Front&Rear, WeatherTech Mats, Sockmonkey Decals, Satoshi grille, JBA "shorty" headers, URD Y-Pipe, TTC Oil Catch Can, Lotek Dual Apillar gauge pod w/ Autometer Phantom II AFR & Vac/Boost, URD Pulley, HID Retrofit.
    Most people recommend adding 18 inch resonator(s) or some run two mufflers to help quite down the sound and help eliminate the rasp.

3. Feb 11, 2012 at 1:55 PM
    Krusey1011

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Washington
    I thought about a resonator but I'm finding out that it's the flowmaster (blowmaster/slowmaster as I've seen it called on here) that adds a lot of the rasp and junk to the sound. I'm looking at maybe aero turbine or something. I'm tired of the rasp and drone.

4. Feb 11, 2012 at 2:07 PM
    TonkaToyTaco

TonkaToyTaco Hope you can run faster than 965 FPS

Member:
    First Name:
    Louie
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma TRD DCLB 4X4
    Fox 2.0 Coilovers cranked up with JBA UCA, Rear OME 2" leaf pack with Ride Rite air bags, SCS Steath 6 matte black rims wrapped in 285/75/17 Cooper ST MAXX, Blacked out emblems, Debaged tailgate, Tinted windows (5% in rear, 5% up front and 40% on windsheild), Retro color matched HID headlights with Amber Halo, Projector LED Foglight, Custom LED Taillight and 3rd brake light, T-Rex 2 eyelids color matched, Fog light anytime MOD, All LED interior and exterior ligths, Volant CAI With forced Ram, JET throttle body spacer, Aero Turbine SS Muffler, Aero Turbine SS 4inch tip dumped after axel, URD MAF Calibrator, LED bed lights, 4X4 light mod, Satoshi Grill with matching scoop and lower Valance, 20" LED bar and 2 LED Pods behind Satoshi, Diff breather mod, Sea Blu secondary fuse box with 100A breaker, Outlaw Train Horns with dual Air Compressors and 5 Gal tank, Ultraguage, Andre Devil Horns, Pedal Commander
    aero turbine is good but with DTLT it still has rasp. I have DTLT and a dynomax superturbo muffler. Still little rasp but its smooth unless you get into it and after a few months some rasp goes away. But im with you I want the rasp gone and a resonator will do it but if you add an 18 inch resonator (which I have done) u probably wont even need a muffler. It quites the whole truck I wanted a little noise. I want an aero turbine but without DTLT it has very little rasp so I feel like with headers its going to be worse but no one has it to hear.

5. Feb 11, 2012 at 2:41 PM
    Krusey1011

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Washington
    wait, so you're saying running just a resonator and no muffler with the DTLT's quites the rasp the best? You've done this?

6. Feb 11, 2012 at 7:38 PM
    Krusey1011

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Washington
    Wow, I was going to deal with this issue about two years ago and got side tracked and just put up with the rasp. After looking all day I found a thread that I had already posted to with the answer to this question. I already solved this issue two years ago :rofl:

Here's the link for any future browsers:
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/performance-tuning/26595-resonator-installed.html

I just purchased a vibrant resonator and I'm going to see how that sounds w/o my flowmaster and if I don't like not having a muffler I'll get something other than flowmaster for sure.

7. Feb 12, 2012 at 5:02 PM
    TonkaToyTaco

TonkaToyTaco Hope you can run faster than 965 FPS

Member:
    First Name:
    Louie
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma TRD DCLB 4X4
    Fox 2.0 Coilovers cranked up with JBA UCA, Rear OME 2" leaf pack with Ride Rite air bags, SCS Steath 6 matte black rims wrapped in 285/75/17 Cooper ST MAXX, Blacked out emblems, Debaged tailgate, Tinted windows (5% in rear, 5% up front and 40% on windsheild), Retro color matched HID headlights with Amber Halo, Projector LED Foglight, Custom LED Taillight and 3rd brake light, T-Rex 2 eyelids color matched, Fog light anytime MOD, All LED interior and exterior ligths, Volant CAI With forced Ram, JET throttle body spacer, Aero Turbine SS Muffler, Aero Turbine SS 4inch tip dumped after axel, URD MAF Calibrator, LED bed lights, 4X4 light mod, Satoshi Grill with matching scoop and lower Valance, 20" LED bar and 2 LED Pods behind Satoshi, Diff breather mod, Sea Blu secondary fuse box with 100A breaker, Outlaw Train Horns with dual Air Compressors and 5 Gal tank, Ultraguage, Andre Devil Horns, Pedal Commander
    No but adding a resonator in my opinion is to much. takes away all the sound. I would just look for a good muffler. I hated the raspy sound but after a while it fades out and u get used to it. I love mine but I would like to try the aero just because its better quaility

8. Feb 12, 2012 at 6:06 PM
    rossk35

rossk35 Do Work Son!

Member:
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport Supercharged
    TRD S/C/TRD Intake/TRD Boost Gauge/DT Headers/OEM TL/ZKW retro/Pioneer DVD w/Ipod/Magnaflow/20% Tint/BHLM/JL 10" sub, JL VR components, JL 450/4 amp/Helwig Sway bar/Viper 791/ 18" limited 4runner rims
    I've got the biggest muffler magnaflow makes 5x11x22 on my truck with headers and 3" exhaust all the way through, and doesn't have any rasp to it. I previously had the 18", and I just got tired of it being loud.

Flowmaster is crap, aero muffler will also have rasp. TRD, borla, magnaflow are really the only ones that sound good on our trucks with headers installed.

9. Feb 20, 2012 at 10:42 AM
    Krusey1011

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Washington
    Just put on a Vibrant Ultra Ultra Quiet 10" resonator. So far it seems to have taken Out the rasp tremendously; the drone has toned down a lot as well. Now I want to get rid of my Flowmaster muffler and get something else.

Products Discussed in

To Top