1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Radio help

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by DocD, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Feb 12, 2012 at 10:41 AM
    DocD

DocD [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mn./SoCal
    Vehicle:
    09 access cab
    I am going to install a new radio in my "09" access cab, anyone have an opinion on using "*********"? Also anyone have preference in a radio, (I just want a decent radio) I am not happy with the stock one. Thanks Doc

2. Feb 12, 2012 at 10:45 AM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/audio-video/80220-official-*********-poll.html?highlight=*********

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/au...***-customer-service.html?highlight=*********

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/audio-video/77603-*********.html?highlight=*********

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/vendor-reviews/40675-*********.html?highlight=*********

3. Feb 12, 2012 at 11:43 AM
    DocD

Member:
    Mn./SoCal
    Vehicle:
    09 access cab
    KPT, Thanks I didn't realize there was so much written on the subject, now I am more confused than ever, ********* sure gets mixed reviews, would you know of anyother options? I would kind of like to do this myself, but If I have to take it to a shop I will. Thanks for taking the time Doc

4. Feb 12, 2012 at 2:48 PM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I don't really know anything about audio stuff I just knew that people hated *********.

Post up in the audio forum and you'll get some answers.

5. Feb 12, 2012 at 3:51 PM
    DocD

Member:
    Mn./SoCal
    Vehicle:
    09 access cab
    KPT, Thanks, I will do that. I appreciate the help, Doc

6. Feb 15, 2012 at 9:55 AM
    FFMedic

FFMedic Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Newton
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma SR5 MGM
    Anytime fog, Upgraded sound
    I prefer Pioneer, but thats just my 2 cents. It really comes down to preference for each person, and past experiences with radios. Find what you want. BT, Navi, DVD, iPod, etc. Decide of what if any other add-ons you will be doing. Subs, component systems, speakers, tweeters, and even steering wheel controls. Then head over to Amazon or Crutchfield to look at different HU's. Find several that you like, and then proceed to reading reviews. Use this information to select which HU fits you best. Hope this helps.

7. Feb 15, 2012 at 2:38 PM
    lawless

lawless the rent is too damn high

Member:
    First Name:
    Lawson
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 dcsb mgm sc
    what? new Radiohead! wait, i'm no help.

8. Feb 16, 2012 at 7:13 PM
    FFMedic

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Newton
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma SR5 MGM
    No not radiohead, far from it. It's just something I am quite particular about in my vehicles. Have installed aftermarket in every vehicle I have owned plus several family members and friends. I have made stupid mistakes ( 87 bronco II in HS that I was trying to save $ on the $5 wiring harness, and decided to butt splice everything, long story short I didn't have adequate ground and screwed some things up, costing me $150 to fix at auto electrical place). I have also bought sub-par HU's and nothing worse than spending good money and not liking what you have bought. Just trying to help a guy out, from a not so smart guy who has done it wrong before.

9. Feb 16, 2012 at 7:27 PM
    Warhorseforever

Warhorseforever Will The Thrill

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Sand Lapper
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner SR5
    Kenwood KDC-348U HU Kicker DS65 Front Doors Only 2 Polk Audio MM840 Kenwood KAC 8105D for subs SuperCrewSound.com behind rear seat sub box
    Everything I am about to tell you is just my opinion. Everyone has a diffrent view on what's good and what isn't, so take this with a grain of salt.

A very good basic radio that will allow for many upgrades is a Kenwood KDCX395, which is what I have. It has 4v pre-amp outputs for front, rear, and sub channels; iPod controls on the front and you can either have the head unit control the iPod or control the iPod from the iPod itself. It is Bluetooth, satellite, HD ready, compatible with your steering wheel controls(adapters are needed for all of the previous stated items) for $120. Mine is going on its 5th year and still sounds good.

If you want to upgrade your speakers get on crutchfield and look for something you like, imo you really can't go wrong with Alpine, Kicker, or Polk Audio for speakers. If you don't plan to run an amp then look for something that has a high sensitivity because then the speakers will be able to do more with less power. If you amp it even something that is 40x4rms it will be a night and day difference not only will it get louder but it will also be much clearer throughout the entire volume range. You can just stick with a 2-way speaker and be perfectly content, for a while :D.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113KDC...VENDORID113&searchdisplay=Kenwood#details-tab

10. Feb 21, 2012 at 12:54 PM
    FFMedic

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Newton
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma SR5 MGM
    ^^^^

What he said. It is usually opinions and past experiences. What sounds good to one person will not sound good to another.

I would add that you should go get hands on with HUs and listen to speakers at a shop. Best Buy is good, but I'd get to a place that specializes in car audio as they are more knowledgeable. You don't have to buy there, but find something you like. Also if you order from Crutchfield, they usually provide proper wiring adapters and speaker brackets if needed, also if you purchase a HU they give you the dash kit for free; however, much cheaper to buy HU elsewhere and get dash kit yourself. I myself will buy speakers and such from Crutchfield exclusively.

11. Feb 21, 2012 at 3:57 PM
    Bobbb

Bobbb "Rumors of Bob, but never Bob. It is Bob, right?"

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    Bob
    Tundra TRD/OR
    As far as the aftermarket bezel goes, I went with Scosche double-DIN because I thought it had metal side plates--it doesn't. I've had to pull it out twice now to deal with other issues and the damn thing broke on one side where the side plate sits in a groove on the opening frame. Cheap piece of crap. I had to take everything completely apart to get it back where it belonged. It's still broken, but with it all together I think it'll stay in place. I'm going to have to pull it one more time when I get the SWC interface and there's a damn good chance I won't be able to re-install it and will have to replace.

Products Discussed in

To Top