1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

recommendations for aftermarket clutch

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by brow, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Feb 12, 2012 at 10:47 AM
    brow

brow [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2020 Dodge Ram 1500
    so to make a long story short, i have to replace the clutch in my 2010. i have the 4 cylinder, 5 speed.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good aftermarket clutch to go with? I dont tow, dont abuse it, and dont race it, i just need something that is going to be reliable and last.

I've never had to replace a clutch before, so I really have no idea what would be considered a decent aftermarket brand. any advice would be great.

2. Feb 12, 2012 at 3:14 PM
    Skunkman

Skunkman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Syracuse - Tug Hill
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma Access Cab ,
    I am looking for info also on a good clutch to replace with. MY 2007 2.7 5 speed has never really felt right, and is now slipping a little when I take off on a hill, not good.

3. Feb 12, 2012 at 3:15 PM
    2000GTacoma

2000GTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Snow Hill NC
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma Ext. 3.4L SR5
    centerforce is a good one marlin crawler is another just to name a couple brands

4. Feb 13, 2012 at 8:54 AM
    brow

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2020 Dodge Ram 1500
    any other recomendations? found an exedy that looks like a good product, probably gonna be going with that

5. Feb 13, 2012 at 9:20 AM
    brow

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2020 Dodge Ram 1500
    the exedy that my mechanic found was there stock replacement, didnt feel the need go with any of there crazy upgraded ones. hopefully this goes well, found a retired mechanic willing to do it for about 650 total, including parts. never really planned on replacing the clutch for another few years. will update with a review of the clutch once it goes in this weekend, since there doesnt seem to be much specific info on here for clutch brands

6. Feb 19, 2012 at 5:26 PM
    brow

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2020 Dodge Ram 1500
    So i ended up getting the the NAPA branded clutch kit installed. So far so good, it feels a hell of a lot better, engages smoother than the truck did when it was new. Havn't tried any serious acceleration with it, want to let it go throug a little break in period so far.

Also kept the old clutch set that came out, for the non-existant chance that toyota does something about it in the future. The actual clutch plate looks fine, no where near being worn down to the rivets, the problem is with the fingers, warped completely out of alignment and have a hell of a groove worn into them about 1/4" in from the end. the mechanic said the flywheel was in decent shape though, got it refinshed regardless.

ill try to throw up some pictures of the old clutch parts, and let people know how this thing holds up.

If i ever need to do this again, im defintely planning on doing the work myself, although 600 for the complete job is nothing i could complain abuot.

NAPA part number installed was 1116088

Products Discussed in

To Top