1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

RPM. HANG

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by fjrmurph, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Feb 12, 2012 at 1:39 PM
    fjrmurph

fjrmurph [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I know it has been discussed here before , I find it a real PIA I have a six speed manual trans and waiting for the RPM to drop back when shifting is brutal. I remember reading here a while ago something about changing the electronic module that interfaced between the gas pedal and the throttle body. Has anyone found a solution?

2. Feb 12, 2012 at 1:58 PM
    ouyin2000

ouyin2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB TRD Sport
    Leer 100XL Canopy, OEM Side steps, TRD Oil Cap, TRD License Plate Cover, WeatherTech Digital Fit Liners, Elite O/R Hitch Shackle, Katzkin Leather Interior, LED Interior Lighting, Foglight Anytime mod, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Grom Audio Aux adapter, Redline Goods leather shift boot console cover and door handle pulls, Sockmonkey bedside decals, Dynolock electric tailgate lock
    I have found a solution that works. Don't speed shift. It's a truck, drive it like one.

Silvertaco 603 likes this.
  3. Feb 12, 2012 at 3:03 PM
    badger

badger Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    I'd like to eliminate it too. It makes the shifting alot more ponderous than it needs to be. Eventually you'll learn to dump the gas a second before you clutch and that will help.

4. Feb 12, 2012 at 3:05 PM
    HumboldtReign

HumboldtReign Where the Grass is Green

Member:
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    '05 PreRunner TRD Off-Road
    i havent noticed any issues. wtf were you guys driving before?! what are you comparing it to?

5. Feb 12, 2012 at 3:12 PM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    It is a bit of a learning curve I can shift mine now as smooth as any automatic. I'll bet there is not much you can do about the hang time it's more about emissions then any thing else.

6. Feb 12, 2012 at 3:19 PM
    xxaarraa

xxaarraa Well-Known Member

Member:
    This sort of idiotic answer doesn't help anyone on an internet forum where people are supposed to share ideas and help innovation. If you don't know the answer to a very specific question the OP is asking, better to just stay silent. People who think the Tacoma 6 speed is great are either pretending or just plain inexperienced in the world of manual gearboxes. Period.

OP, I have not heard of the control module route you mention. However, installing a URD short shifter as well as shifting with only half clutch does remedy the RPM hang somewhat. I would be curious to see if there was another solution.

Silvertaco 603 likes this.
  7. Feb 12, 2012 at 3:56 PM
    HumboldtReign

HumboldtReign Where the Grass is Green

Member:
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    '05 PreRunner TRD Off-Road
    I disagree. I think only inexperienced manual-trans drivers are having the issues. Im not saying it is great, but ive only taken notice to this issue from reading it on here, if i hadnt read that others thought it was a problem, i probably would have never noticed. And ive only driven manuals since i started driving.

I think the "idiotic" response was more of a, "are you seriously complaining about about such a minute problem?"

8. Feb 12, 2012 at 4:18 PM
    LUSETACO

LUSETACO Here for the Taco Pron

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    South Central Pee A
    Vehicle:
    2005 PIMP MOBILE
    Yes
    I've been driving manuals for 25 years now and the Tacoma 6 speed is by far the worst shifting I've ever driven. But you know I would never trade it for an auto.

9. Feb 12, 2012 at 4:38 PM
    canadaman

canadaman Active Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport
    The Taco 6 spd tranny is absolutely brutal. Clunky and the RPM hang is annoying. All of my vehicles have been manuals and this one is the worst (so far). I still love my manuals and love driving my taco but man... I hope they improve it for the next gen.

10. Feb 12, 2012 at 5:32 PM
    badger

badger Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    There is no debate about whether the issues exist. Toyota has been aware of them from the beginning. That's why when you pull a parts list on these trannies you find 4 or 5 revisions to the synchros and related parts over the years. Manual owners are a small enough minority though that Toyota took the tack of quietly trying the fix the problems while staying publicly silent. If similar problems existed with the autos, there would have been a TSB issued at the very least.

These comments about driving the Tacoma like a truck really leave me wondering. You mean like towing? Ranch work? How about pulling through snow, mud, or sand with a load? This is how I use my truck, is that not right? There are many circumstances when the ability to make quick accurate shifts are vital to maintaining momentum. These are gas trucks with 6 spds, not diesels with 18 spd transmissions.

Toyota sells both a Sport and a TRD version of this truck with the same transmission. What exactly does "Sport" or "Toyota RACING Development" mean??. Perhaps the people who think that the expectation of a smooth precise transmission is out of line should take up the grievance with Toyota and quit triolling these threads.

It's pretty damn presumptuous of some to try and say that the problems are caused by inexperienced drivers. I've driven almost exclusively manuals for over 35 years including a good bit of time in the seat of a race car. I know what a good transmission shifts like. I don't expect a truck transmission to be as light and slick as the ones in my cars, but I expect them to deliver the performance required of a truck.

I also do not expect to have to throw 35 years of trainning and experience out the window to learn to drive a manual transmission hobbled by bad synchronizers and a hanging throttle. If I were this disinterested in actually using the manual tranny I would have bought an auto in the first place.

The biggest disappointment is the fact that by 2005 this is the best Toyota could do. We've had a good 75 years to work the bugs out of manual transmissions. I've driven gear boxes built 50 years ago that felt better than this one. The throttle hang in the manual trucks is unacceptable, and Toyota should at least fix that. Then at least we could do a better job of matching RPMs and rely less on the synchros to do their job.

11. Feb 12, 2012 at 5:33 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    URD is developing a product for the 6 speed. Already available for autos. Check it out, looks intresting besides the price $330,IIRC.

12. Feb 12, 2012 at 5:38 PM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    I have no ideal why you all have so much trouble with the 6 speed I have no issue with mine it shifts fine. It's not a little car with tiny gears and will never shift as lightly. Mine does not "clunk" is easy to get in gear does not grind and the gear spacing is fine it's intended to be used for towing. But I have only been driving standard transmission cars/trucks for 50 years maybe that's why I think it's fine. By the way the RPM hang is not caused by the transmission.

13. Feb 12, 2012 at 6:04 PM
    TACK

TACK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    10 PreRunner TRD Off-Road MGM
    Bilstein 5100s at 1.75", Level 8 Tracker wheels, white lithium grease mod for creaky clutch pedal
    It's largely believed that the RPM hang is an emissions feature, so blame the gubmint. It used to really irritate me as well, but after getting used to driving this truck I don't notice it at all anymore. In fact, I'm so used to it that if it went away it would probably screw me up, lol.

14. Feb 12, 2012 at 6:13 PM
    cintocrunch

cintocrunch Special Substitute Guest Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    MD
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB TRD Sport MGM 6MT
    Anytime fogs, Leer Tonneau
    They must have improved the 2012's because the only time I have an issue is if I try to shift really quickly, it is fine being hustled at 90% speed...

Also, the rev-hang is not a Taco unique phenomena, most modern manuals that I have driven experience this in some form or another. On 8thcivic I read the rev-hang has something to do with emissions and not letting backfiring occur...if it annoys you on your Taco imagine how frustrating it was on my Civic Si...

15. Feb 12, 2012 at 7:07 PM
    iroh

iroh Well-Known Member

Member:
    michigander
    Vehicle:
    07 AC SR5 2.7 5MT 4x4
    tonneau
    x2

Rev hang at 8200 rpm is good for one thing only - showing off and breaking 'em loose when shifting into 3rd making everyone think you have a torque monster.

Oh wait, the taco wants to do that too. I pity the driveline.

16. Feb 12, 2012 at 7:12 PM
    Indian Shifter

Indian Shifter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ashil
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2011 White DC TRD Sport 4x4 Manual
    X2

17. Feb 12, 2012 at 7:53 PM
    badger

badger Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
  18. Feb 12, 2012 at 9:30 PM
    xxaarraa

xxaarraa Well-Known Member

Member:
    It's not a URD product, it's a Sprintbooster. Sprintbooster is a well known product in the world of MB/BMW cars. I have never had one, but on the other car forum, people who have it swear by it. If it becomes available, I might spring the cash for it for the Taco.

19. Feb 13, 2012 at 1:14 AM
    fjrmurph

fjrmurph [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Comparing it too? I'm comparing it to 40+ years of driving a manual trans. Everything from farm tractor,tractor trailer,mobile cranes. Have you ever had blisters on your hand from shifting gears? I have! I have learned to drive this truck! I still don't like it. I find coming up through the gears I can shift then I need to wait untill the rpm's drop to let the clutch out, I find it frustrating!If URD make anything to fix/help this issue I'll be first in line!

20. Feb 13, 2012 at 9:00 AM
    badger

badger Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    That's right. It's not that any of us can't drive the trucks. We can adapt and make them work. The issue is that if you are capable of using a manual transmission as a driving tool, this transmission poses serious limitations. The limitations erase many of the advantages that you buy a manual specifically to get.

Products Discussed in

To Top