Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2012 Paint chipping

Old 04-13-2013, 06:33 PM   #21
bullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bullaculla's Tacoma Gallery
Super white seems to chip super easy. And it shows every one of them easily. I have a Sienna SE in super white and have a bunch of chips too.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:51 PM   #22
Conex is on a distinguished road
Conex's Tacoma Gallery
My black 2013 chips if it thinks a rock might hit it. Also, the truck cannot be washed without putting micro scratches in it. Two buckets, wookie fist sheepskin mitt, leaf blower drying......new scratches. I have never had a vehicle with paint as sensitive as this one.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:18 PM   #23
scottg918514 is on a distinguished road
scottg918514's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pudge151 View Post
get 3M film or something similar
Just got mine installed yesterday. One chip on bumper in first month was enough for me. I got full premium package: full front, mirrors, headlights, door cups, roof line, a-pillars, and door edges for $795. Pricey, but I had it done on my black mustang 2 years ago and works great and still looks good.

My Taco is the metallic gray, and you can barely see the edges of the 3m. My installers did a perfect job.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:59 AM   #24
Prerunners Work
PSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PSJ's Tacoma Gallery
I have owned my truck now for 4yrs and 8 mo. Mud flaps off first day. Overall, you have to look close to see anything, and only the owner would see it. There are a few little chips along the rocker panels, and a couple of nicks on the hood. The Key to less paint damage is a good, solid wax coating protecting the paint surface IMO. Things will tend to just shed or slide off the surface. Without the wax barrier, the rock will just hit the paint, digging in and chipping it much easier. If it has to go thru a wax coating, it should be harder to reach the paint surface to damage it.
Just my 2 cents...
Old 04-14-2013, 07:22 AM   #25
rickc5 is on a distinguished road

Name: Rick
rickc5's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
hahahah

Welcome to the club....since these trucks last a long time get used to the chips

These were my chips from year one

I no longer take pics, but my truck looks like a golf ball now that it's almost 4 years old.
I guess we don't have slippery rocks here in Colorado, as our '06 Taco looked JUST like this one when we first bought it in January. A bottle of touch-up paint and it looks better from several feet away.

Wax or not, rocks, chips and new windshields are a part of life out here where the landscape is nothing but rocks of various sizes.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:01 AM   #26
Gearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gearheadesw's Tacoma Gallery
Ya know.. when I drive my truck through the dense bush and it scratches it... man I don't see why?
Hang your head out the window on the hi-way with traffic, you'll see why the paint chips. More people in front of you kicking up crap at speed.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:14 AM   #27
Leoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Leo
Leoffensive's Tacoma Gallery
chips and salsa are good
Old 04-14-2013, 02:29 PM   #28
pghpete is on a distinguished road
Name: Pete
pghpete's Tacoma Gallery
I have chips all over the truck, its paint quality. 7500 miles looks like 300,000 I have a 99 ford 350 7.3 with 311k on it, has less stone chips than my tacoma. And that trucks seen it all. I'm surrounded by lawyers as family and friends I will get to the bottom of this via Toyota asap. Toyotas not gonna tell me this is "normal" rust already in a stone chip?! No way man, ill sell it back to them and buy another ford
Old 04-14-2013, 02:32 PM   #29
pghpete is on a distinguished road
Name: Pete
pghpete's Tacoma Gallery
Mine as well man. 13 black. Worst paint I've ever had on a vehicle. It scratches like no other no matter what u do. I'll start the law suit if I have to Haha. Look out for my petition if they don't agree to paint mine.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:33 PM   #30
Rhody76 will become famous soon enough
Name: Chris
Rhody76's Tacoma Gallery
I just noticed a bad one on mine. Right through the paint down to the undercoat. I dont recall hearing the rock either
Old 04-14-2013, 05:44 PM   #31
Douchebag, or just douche if we're friends
monkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Signal Corps
monkeyface's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottg918514 View Post
Just got mine installed yesterday. One chip on bumper in first month was enough for me. I got full premium package: full front, mirrors, headlights, door cups, roof line, a-pillars, and door edges for $795. Pricey, but I had it done on my black mustang 2 years ago and works great and still looks good.

My Taco is the metallic gray, and you can barely see the edges of the 3m. My installers did a perfect job.
That seems like a reasonable price. You won't be seeing the chips, that's for sure. I went cheapo with a LeBra vinyl mask that covers the entire front end. It had to be one or the other for me. No way I allow chips on my front end, I hate 'em passionately and the only way to avoid it (I don't care what vehicle you own) is to 3M it or bra it.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:29 PM   #32
ManofSteel1 is on a distinguished road
ManofSteel1's Tacoma Gallery
How effective is the paint film protectant offered by the Toyota dealer?
Old 06-30-2013, 08:28 PM   #33
Larry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Larry's Tacoma Gallery
no paint chips on my silver 2012...but plenty of pinstripes and a mangled rear bumper. also, here in Florida...you get a sandblasted windshield. I sense some sand blasting to the body...but since I don't wash the truck, not sure.

It's a truck and I plan to not give a crap.
Old 04-27-2014, 12:47 AM   #34
Cano PR is on a distinguished road
Cano PR's Tacoma Gallery
the same

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conex View Post
My black 2013 chips if it thinks a rock might hit it. Also, the truck cannot be washed without putting micro scratches in it. Two buckets, wookie fist sheepskin mitt, leaf blower drying......new scratches. I have never had a vehicle with paint as sensitive as this one.
It happens to me also 2014 and has more swirls than 2006 junk paint job