Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

When are snow chains really necessary with a 4x4?

Old 02-13-2012, 09:29 PM   #21
vbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shed
vbibi's Tacoma Gallery
In California you won't pass past the check point if you do not have them.
Twice I was instructed to install them on my 4x4.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:38 PM   #22
Workman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Workman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbibi View Post
Wow really? In Idaho that is not the case. Workman has never heard of using chains on a 4x4 while on pavement, and he grew up where it is very cold and icy. Workman has been in 4x4's mudding with chains on and it seemed to help to not get stuck.....and throw mud all over the place
Old 02-13-2012, 10:15 PM   #23
MountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bryan
MountainEarth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workman View Post
Wow really? In Idaho that is not the case. Workman has never heard of using chains on a 4x4 while on pavement, and he grew up where it is very cold and icy. Workman has been in 4x4's mudding with chains on and it seemed to help to not get stuck.....and throw mud all over the place
Does Workman always talk about himself in the 3rd person?

A lot depends on snow type. In the Sierra Nevada where the snow is very wet, and super slick when packed, it's not uncommon for CHP to request that even 4x4s install chains in the rear. But in the Rockies and interior ranges where snow is very dry, and grippy when packed, you almost never see chain requirements for 4x4s. In fact you almost never see them for 2wd vehicles either. Mostly semis. That being said, I still carry a set in winter. It's cheap insurance. I have a set of Thule XB16s in the bed under the shell.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:27 PM   #24
.45%er
the.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Nick
the.sight.picture's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TACOMABOSS View Post
usually during icey conditions
THIS^^^^
Old 02-14-2012, 10:40 AM   #25
Must go to Mountains, Desert
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. Sir
Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utard View Post
I have never needed chains on 4wd trucks on the streets.

However when I was a kid my dad and his buddys during deer hunting would chain up on all 4 tires when it was muddy to get around the hills. It worked really good.
That is how I intended to use them. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black 09 View Post
I have "V" chains for all four tires (although front ones don't fit between tires and UCA's on my tacoma) and have found that while offroading the chains are useless in deep snow and dry powder. They are great for super compact and solid ice conditions however.

In deeper snow they want to dig through the snow and end up getting the truck high-centred in the snow. In these conditions you're way better off airing down and going slow in an attempt to float on top of the snow.

I have found chains to be more useful in deep slippery mud where you need to dig down to grip on to solid ground when climbing, etc... However if the mud is over a foot deep, you might run into the same high-centering problems as with the snow.

Just my 2 cents.
Great post. Thanks. The one time I got stuck in my truck I was high centered due to snow and it sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WV150 View Post
I have been stuck up before with chains on all four wheels in snow and mud.When enough snow or mud gets under the truck traction is lost.Time to dig out the come along.
Yup. That happened to me once minus the chains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger View Post
There are a few angles to this question. When I lived in heavy ice country I ran studs in the winter. 4x4 with studs with get down any road that is open for travel.

Now I spend a good deal of time in ice/snow country, but do not make daily commutes in it. I no longer have studs but I run centersiped tires that have proven themselves in these conditions. Without studs you pretty much have to slow down no matter what. Chains require slower speeds and it is very rare that a 4x4 will need them at slower speeds IF you have good tires for the purpose. Wide profile tires are a disaster in these conditions. You need narrow tires with soft rubber and siping. If you have wide tires, especially mud tires, you will need chains for conditions that others find quite managable without them. Good chains with a diamond pattern provide braking, acceleration, and lateral traction. I have seen conditions involving freezing rain that were so bad that vehicles were down to a crawl with anything but chains or studs, but those conditions are rare and you best to not drive unless you have too..

Offroad chains make a huge difference in both mud and snow. I run very narrow tires and I carry good chains that I use in these situation. A tall narrow chained tire is just about unbeatable in snow unless you are running arctic tires.
Thanks.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:13 PM   #26
Señorita Member
bethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beth
bethes's Tacoma Gallery
I found it! One my way to my work location today. This is when you should use chains
Attached Thumbnails
When are snow chains really necessary with a 4x4?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1329444735.277873.jpg  
Old 02-29-2012, 07:19 AM   #27
CantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FTR
CantSitStill's Tacoma Gallery
I used to drive maxi passenger vans to Denver Internation Airport from Vail, CO and back. We would routinely use chains up and over the pass, or in the villages to get people to and from their final destinations. The vans were long wheelbase, rear wheel drive and held maybe 9-11 people and skis and luggage. 4 siped snow tires and that much weight generally got us anywhere, but when you are down to your last couple people those tires would just spin.
Chain it up.

Oh, and to some of the other posters... HAH!! LMFAO. I have four wheel stop! And, Cantsitstill always chuckles when people like Workman talk about themselves in the third person. Cantsitstill is smiling now.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:29 AM   #28
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbibi View Post
That guy was a dick or you were in some really bad conditions. I have never been checked nor had to chain up my 4x4.

My dad was a chain installer for 20+ years and I use to be up there every weekend they don't make 4x4's chain up unless its really bad and they just close it down most of the time when it gets like that. You doo however need to have chains in your 4x4 we have had to sell some to people so they could pass but they did make them put them on.

Also what were you driving and what kind of tires did you have they will make you chain up a 4x4 if they are not M+S rated tires.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:09 AM   #29
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Heavy snow combined with steep hills and you will want to have chains. Mountain areas are where you would want them, primarily. Ice covered roads are another.
Conditions have to get pretty extreme to need chains on the road. They usually close the roads when the plows can't get it done.
Off-road? On mud, ice, and deep snow, they will make quick work of it.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:52 AM   #30
JstreetS will become famous soon enoughJstreetS will become famous soon enough

Name: Jay
JstreetS's Tacoma Gallery
I have some for sale if anyone is interested. I moved from WA to TX...no need for them. PM if you are interested and I will get you the details. I paid $119 from AutoAnything.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:27 AM   #31
CantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaTacoma12 View Post
It never hurts to have them with you. But... only put em on if your off-road or the police tells you to.
Damn, I only got the TRD Sport. The Offroad will actually tell you when to put chains on??? Is there a mod I can do to get mine to do that too? Please link. That would be soooo sweet
Old 03-01-2012, 06:55 AM   #32
Member Caught Off Road
AWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
AWorthyOpponent's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSitStill View Post
Damn, I only got the TRD Sport. The Offroad will actually tell you when to put chains on??? Is there a mod I can do to get mine to do that too? Please link. That would be soooo sweet
Really????

The off road does not tell you to chain up...he means you should chain up if you are off road and feel it is necessary, or you should chain up if the police tell you to...
Old 03-01-2012, 07:26 AM   #33
Utard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
Utard's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantardSitStill View Post
Really?!?!?!?
Old 03-01-2012, 04:56 PM   #34

Oh, I see! This is where it ACTUALLY MATTERS if you have the CORRECT USAGE of the possessive word "your" or the contraction "you're"
I read this that he only put on chains if his Tacoma with the Offroad package, or the police told him to. Thought maybe there was an option like in early '80s Chryslers. "A door is ajar. A door is ajar. " "Please put your chains on"
Sorry, I haven't had a Tacoma since 2000.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:38 AM   #35
58 Siesta is on a distinguished road
58 Siesta's Tacoma Gallery
I use chains frequently, often on all 4 wheels. I travel in deep snow through areas where tow trucks won't go, even if a cell phone would work to contact them. I have not taken my new (or any) Taco to these areas yet. My Nissan was an ideal machine for this kind of travel (RIP lil'truck)

Obviously, I didn't do enough homework before purchasing a new truck. I thought these were supposed to be made for offroad travel, but I guess winter wasn't taken into consideration when designing the Tacoma. The inability to run chains on the front wheels is the only complaint I have with my Taco so far, and solving it would make me a happy person. Had I been informed, this would have been a deal breaker and I would have purchased a different vehicle (F150 was next on the list).

I'm not willing to spend a bunch of money on mods to make a truck do what a truck is supposed to do "out of the box". I am already going to buy a second set of rims and tires for winter, so if this solves my dilemma I would greatly appreciate advice - not going to lift stock suspension.

I'm not looking for general advice. Specifics would be greatly appreciated. Not trying to sound like an a - hole, just pretty miffed about this issue.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:18 PM   #36
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58 Siesta View Post
I use chains frequently, often on all 4 wheels. I travel in deep snow through areas where tow trucks won't go, even if a cell phone would work to contact them. I have not taken my new (or any) Taco to these areas yet. My Nissan was an ideal machine for this kind of travel (RIP lil'truck)

Obviously, I didn't do enough homework before purchasing a new truck. I thought these were supposed to be made for offroad travel, but I guess winter wasn't taken into consideration when designing the Tacoma. The inability to run chains on the front wheels is the only complaint I have with my Taco so far, and solving it would make me a happy person. Had I been informed, this would have been a deal breaker and I would have purchased a different vehicle (F150 was next on the list).

I'm not willing to spend a bunch of money on mods to make a truck do what a truck is supposed to do "out of the box". I am already going to buy a second set of rims and tires for winter, so if this solves my dilemma I would greatly appreciate advice - not going to lift stock suspension.

I'm not looking for general advice. Specifics would be greatly appreciated. Not trying to sound like an a - hole, just pretty miffed about this issue.
Sorry I missed your post and I know this thread is old. Is the reason you can't run chains on the front tires because the chains won't clear the upper control arm?
Old 10-12-2012, 02:51 AM   #37
JimBCa has much to be proud ofJimBCa has much to be proud ofJimBCa has much to be proud ofJimBCa has much to be proud ofJimBCa has much to be proud ofJimBCa has much to be proud ofJimBCa has much to be proud ofJimBCa has much to be proud of
Name: Jim
JimBCa's Tacoma Gallery
It's that time of year for me also. Snow that is.

I am new to my Tacoma OffRoad and when I made the purchase, they actually had me sign a document NOT to use chains on the truck. I didn't think to ask why at the time, due to so many things going through my head around the need to purchase a new truck.

My previous GMC 4x4 had no issues with chains and had to use them several times as I travel across both hwy 88, 50 and 80 in the Sierra's and north through the mountains just north of Yreka. In most cases it was due to extreme weather or ice. I have a ski club I belong to which is located at the top of Donner Pass at Soda Springs, which has spots where you just don't want to go over the edge.

Two years ago while driving through the north section of Yellowstone, going 20 mph we slid off the road because I didn't have chains on and we hit a bump. The back end broke loose and it was over the edge, which lucky for me was only a 15 ft drop at a 45 degree slope. Chained up and got out.

So my question is: What do I do with my new Tacoma, I was looking at RUD Grip 4x4 chains as they seem easy enough to put on, but if I can't due to any one of a number of issues.

Has anyone put chains on there new stock rig and if so recomendations.

Thanks
Old 10-12-2012, 08:20 AM   #38
2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jon
2011TacomaSR5's Tacoma Gallery
I only use them off road in really deep snow or going up super icy hills off road. If it is bad enough to have to use chains on the streets, you probably should stay home.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:23 AM   #39
Woodstocktaco is on a distinguished road
Woodstocktaco's Tacoma Gallery
When I had my Taco I used chains on several occasions. A couple times when navigating gravel roads with fresh snowfall over ice - and once during a prolonged snow & ice event where I had to use them over a couple days on paved roads with snow & ice that had thawed & refrozen. On that occasion the chains were on the truck (rear wheels only) for 3 days & were driven frequently between 5mph & 30mph with no problems whatsoever.
It seems ridiculous to sell a 4WD truck in an area where there's a reasonably good chance of the buyer encountering winter driving conditions and then make the driver agree to not use equipment that would improve the safety of driving in said winter conditions!
In a perfect world, we could control the weather and decide whether or not to drive if it's not sunny - unfortunately, some of us have to go outside no matter what the weather and you need the right equipment, i.e. snow chains.
I see absolutely no reason that a properly fitting set of chains will not work on a new Taco. If I lived where I had to drive in the Sierras in winter I wouldn't leave home without a set of chains and a repair kit or spare chain.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:38 AM   #40

Crom's Tacoma Gallery
I did more research on the subject and there are two products that can be used on the front but they're very expensive. They essentially wrap around the tire and compress it. Can't remember what it's called at the moment.