Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

When are snow chains really necessary with a 4x4?

Old 10-15-2012, 10:40 AM   #41
Taco Vending Machine
Beefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Beefed Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Necessary with 4x4 when you encounter ice.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:39 PM   #42
Skinkwerks Rockware & Fabrication!!
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cannon Crew Member
Name: Brady
BradyT88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crom View Post
I did more research on the subject and there are two products that can be used on the front but they're very expensive. They essentially wrap around the tire and compress it. Can't remember what it's called at the moment.
I never had a problem running chains on the front I had factory sized A/T's and billies set at .85" with factory coils and factory UCA's at the time too.

Haven't tried chains with the bigger tires, new coils and new UCA's yet.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:53 PM   #43
Ray is a splendid one to beholdRay is a splendid one to beholdRay is a splendid one to beholdRay is a splendid one to beholdRay is a splendid one to beholdRay is a splendid one to behold

Law Enforcement:
Ray's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crom View Post
For those of you with 4x4's and have snow / ice experience, when do you feel that snow chains are truly necessary?

Have you ever had to use them while off-roading?

Look forward to reading your responses.
From the Cal-Trans web page:

Chain Requirements

• R1: Chains are required - snow tread tires allowed. (all vehicles must have chains in the vehicle)
  • R2: Chains are required on all vehicles except four wheel drive vehicles with snow tires on all four wheels. (2-wheel drive must install chains, 4-wheel drive must carry chains)
  • R3: Chains are required - all vehicles - no exceptions.
  • R1 and R2 are the most common conditions. The highway is usually closed before an R3 condition is imposed.
The text in the () is from my enforcement documents when I worked in the mountains on chain control. Also, if you are pulling a trailer that is equipped with brakes, that axle must have tire chains installed as well.

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/ChainRequire.pdf

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/chcontrl.htm

Hope this helps.

Ray

PS: I use these: http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_585j9k0fxe_e
Old 10-15-2012, 07:14 PM   #44
badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shed
badger's Tacoma Gallery
I would say the majority of people with aftermarket wheels and tires cannot run chains at all. Check the clearances at the UCA and at the rear of the wheel well. I run 235/85-16 tires on stock wheels with 1" spacers specifically because I want to be able to run chains without hosing my truck. If not for that I would be running 255/85-16.

You need to buy a quality chain specifically fitted to your tire size to make sure you don't get slop in the fit.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:35 PM   #45
sandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

sandjunkie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by badger View Post
I would say the majority of people with aftermarket wheels and tires cannot run chains at all. Check the clearances at the UCA and at the rear of the wheel well. I run 235/85-16 tires on stock wheels with 1" spacers specifically because I want to be able to run chains without hosing my truck. If not for that I would be running 255/85-16.

You need to buy a quality chain specifically fitted to your tire size to make sure you don't get slop in the fit.
Put the chains on the rear
Old 10-15-2012, 09:25 PM   #46
Must go to Mountains, Desert
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. Sir
Crom's Tacoma Gallery
The UCA on our trucks makes it impossible to use chains in the front unless you want to pay out the ass for some gucci-ass-no-go-around-the-backside chain tensioner.

Here I found two product solutions in this post here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Gatlin View Post
I just bought an 07 crew cab TRD Tacoma and was very disappointed to learn all about how chains won't work on the front. I need them to descend our steep, icy gravel road where 4x4 will only help you get out of the ditch, not stay out of the ditch. Even with good rubber, I need chains up there, not just in the back.

After reading all about how even the lower profile cables will eventually rip off on this piece of the suspension, I'd about given up. Then I discovered two chain products that will absolutely work. They're both expensive, but less so than paying an insurance deductible for body work or medical bills. Also less so than modifying your clearance through purchasing different rims and paying for that labor.

Here's what I'm going with: Spikes-Spider
http://spikes-spiderusa.com/

And another great product: Thule K-Summit -
http://www.etrailer.com/Tire-Chains/...eid=2006206509

I've used the Spikes-spiders on the back of a rear wheel drive Tacoma with a TrueTrac, and I can attest to how easy they are to slip on and off. Also, I've passed tons of ditched 4x4s and Subarus using them in the snow -- they're so easy to install you'll use them where otherwise you might just try to make a go of it on rubber.

I did call the Toyota service department at a local dealer just to make sure I wasn't making a false assumption, and the guy I spoke to had seen these chains, was familiar with the clearance issue, and didn't see a problem. Check for yourself though before trying anything.

Now, with Z-cables in back for extreme circumstances and Spikes-spiders up front, I'm set -- it climbs like a snow cat and descends ice like it's on broom-swept concrete.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:47 PM   #47
LocoTaco has much to be proud ofLocoTaco has much to be proud ofLocoTaco has much to be proud ofLocoTaco has much to be proud ofLocoTaco has much to be proud ofLocoTaco has much to be proud ofLocoTaco has much to be proud ofLocoTaco has much to be proud ofLocoTaco has much to be proud of

Coast Guard: RDC Retired
Name: Don
LocoTaco's Tacoma Gallery
We all pack chains along to late elk hunting camp. We usually need the chains to get around and to get back down the mountain from camp. Mountain passes here sometimes require chains and you had best have a set on hand or you have to turn around and head back to where you came from. Chains are a good investment, they are worth their weight in gold when the time comes where you need them.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:56 PM   #48
vbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shed
vbibi's Tacoma Gallery
When the road enforcing officer tells you to. At least in Ca. Other times I could continued driving without them, only after he saw them in my possession.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:09 PM   #49
When Hell Freezes Over I'll Ski There Too
Pchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Aviation Machinist Mate
Name: Rob I
Pchop's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray View Post
From the Cal-Trans web page:

Chain Requirements

• R1: Chains are required - snow tread tires allowed. (all vehicles must have chains in the vehicle)
  • R2: Chains are required on all vehicles except four wheel drive vehicles with snow tires on all four wheels. (2-wheel drive must install chains, 4-wheel drive must carry chains)
  • R3: Chains are required - all vehicles - no exceptions.
  • R1 and R2 are the most common conditions. The highway is usually closed before an R3 condition is imposed.
The text in the () is from my enforcement documents when I worked in the mountains on chain control. Also, if you are pulling a trailer that is equipped with brakes, that axle must have tire chains installed as well.

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/ChainRequire.pdf

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/chcontrl.htm

Hope this helps.

Ray

PS: I use these: http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_585j9k0fxe_e
The chains you use have you ever had a problem with one of the cables that go over the tire snapping and then you have a 14"-16" whip slapping your wheel well and possible wrapping up on your brake line?

Happened to me twice last year, I pulled over and cut the snapped cable with a pair of bolt cutters before any damage. One on each pair so they both had faulty cable or something.

Just curious.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:26 AM   #50
Ray is a splendid one to beholdRay is a splendid one to beholdRay is a splendid one to beholdRay is a splendid one to beholdRay is a splendid one to beholdRay is a splendid one to behold

Law Enforcement:
Ray's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rardigo View Post
The chains you use have you ever had a problem with one of the cables that go over the tire snapping and then you have a 14"-16" whip slapping your wheel well and possible wrapping up on your brake line?

Happened to me twice last year, I pulled over and cut the snapped cable with a pair of bolt cutters before any damage. One on each pair so they both had faulty cable or something.

Just curious.
I've never had a bit of trouble with these cables. Used them every winter for 3-years. Just sprayed them with a bit of WD-40 after I took them off and before I put them away each time.

Ray