Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

HeadLight Restore

Old 02-14-2012, 09:16 AM   #1
baldy54 is on a distinguished road
baldy54's Tacoma Gallery
HeadLight Restore

I know this has been answered. I have look but could not find anything. I have a 06 dbl cab. And the headlightss are starting to get a haze on them. How do I make them like new again?? And what things do I need to use to make them look new again.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:30 AM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Look for 3M's Headlight Restoration kit.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:32 AM   #3
friction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shed

friction's Tacoma Gallery
That stuff did almost nothing for my GF's old Civic. Some folks swear by it though...good luck.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:33 AM   #4
CBrva is on a distinguished road

Name: Chris
CBrva's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Look for 3M's Headlight Restoration kit.
^ this. 3M's 39008 Headlight Lens Restoration System works great.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:35 AM   #5
sfoxwoody is a splendid one to beholdsfoxwoody is a splendid one to beholdsfoxwoody is a splendid one to beholdsfoxwoody is a splendid one to beholdsfoxwoody is a splendid one to beholdsfoxwoody is a splendid one to beholdsfoxwoody is a splendid one to behold
Firefighter: FIREFIRGHTER, GSAR, HAZMAT, DIVE
sfoxwoody's Tacoma Gallery
X2 on 3M
Old 02-14-2012, 09:36 AM   #6
jdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shed
jdtemple's Tacoma Gallery
I have tried a few of the kits, in the end, this is what worked for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sZg9cj2hxI
Old 02-14-2012, 09:49 AM   #7
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rod
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Saw an eval in Consumer Reports that listed the Syvania and 3M kits as the best. Most interesting part though was that even the best kits above showed degradation of the outer treatment after only 3 months.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:18 AM   #8
the logical one
fixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Steve
fixer5000's Tacoma Gallery
ill suggest that after you polish them nice and clear to use a product called penetrol. its a paint additive you can get from home depot for about 9 bucks. if you do it right it will last about a year in most cases.
to do it right start with clean clear lenses. using a foam paintbrush that isnt soaked to heavily apply to headlights. you have to do this when its warm enough outside so it has at least one solid warm day to dry. if you drip it on your paint wipe it off right away. this stuff also brings back faded plastic trim that has weathered. sometimes 2 coats are needed for trim. same deal let it dry. ymmv cheaper than new lights or trim. this stuff was widely used on the jeep boards with good success
Old 02-14-2012, 10:20 AM   #9
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
I like the new mothers kit specifically for headlights.....works great. And lasts a good while as well.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:05 AM   #10
boomer6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedboomer6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedboomer6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedboomer6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedboomer6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedboomer6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedboomer6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedboomer6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedboomer6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedboomer6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedboomer6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
boomer6's Tacoma Gallery
Same problem here. Got headlights cleaned up ,but as stated above only seems to last 3 months. Am going to try the above suggestion of a product called Penetrol from home Depot. Will wait until summer to give it a try. Thanks for the info.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:41 AM   #11
24medic is on a distinguished road
EMS:
Name: Kevin
24medic's Tacoma Gallery
No matter which product you use just keep repeating till lense is clear and u have to use a sealant after or it will fog quickly
Old 02-26-2012, 09:04 PM   #12
trdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

trdracing5's Tacoma Gallery
Looking at a kit to fix the lights on my Sequoia.
I tried the 3M kit. It did not work very well. I will say the lights are no longer faded, now they are all cloudy. I am going to try another kit and then might consider replacing the lights.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:10 PM   #13
SUPER MOD
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
When u polish them u take the uv coating off. U need to reapply, try adding griots headlight covers after polishing, or even better before to protect against yellowing.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:12 PM   #14
SSS
oneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: SSS
oneBIGroom's Tacoma Gallery
I've heard about lots of restoration kits, but everyone says that they help a little at first but the haze comes back fast.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:01 AM   #15
hotrod45 is on a distinguished road
Army: medic 5501 hospital
Name: paul
hotrod45's Tacoma Gallery
Smile restore

what is the name of the sealant you are using and where did you get it? i've done several lights and they come back quickly in fla. maybe the sealant is the missing ingredient.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:09 AM   #16
disk_55FL is on a distinguished road

Name: disk
disk_55FL's Tacoma Gallery
Autogeeks.net had a discussion about headlight restoration and using sealant ( I can't find the post now..... )....but they were doing a long term evaluation on different post cleanup sealants.....and the one that seemed to be doing the best ( longest lasting ) was a home brew mix using Minwax spar poly.

If anyone finds that post please share !
Old 02-27-2012, 07:25 AM   #17
rhowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhowell is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Robert
rhowell's Tacoma Gallery
I used Colgate toothpaste and it worked great. You have to reall scrub but it got rid of the haze. Check it out on YouTube.

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_u...n%20headlights
Old 02-27-2012, 07:38 AM   #18
rhowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhowell is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Robert
rhowell's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhowell View Post
I used Colgate toothpaste and it worked great. You have to reall scrub but it got rid of the haze. Check it out on YouTube.

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_u...n%20headlights
After watching the above YouTube video it would appear my method might be a temporary solution.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:35 PM   #19
24medic is on a distinguished road
EMS:
Name: Kevin
24medic's Tacoma Gallery
Sealant mequirs m20. One of my buddies used couple coats of clear coat it looks good. I'm not much of a painter