1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Electronic Rust protection?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by WheelinJ91, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Feb 15, 2012 at 6:30 AM
    WheelinJ91

WheelinJ91 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Edmonton,AB
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD DCSB
    Airaid Intake, MBRP Exhaust, Toytec OME 3" lift w/AAL, Flip-kit, LR UCA's, Weathertech Floor mats, hood and window deflectors.
    Hey guys i didnt know where else to put ask this.

Im looking into rust protection as where i live they salt the roads during winter.

I have been doing so looking around and only "Electric Rust Protection" i can find is this http://www.ruststop.net/?p=1 then i have looked some more and people are saying this is garbage.

I dont really want to pay a shop to do this year after year to just have it rust 10 or 15 years down the line?

Any opinions or other options are welcome.

Like always thanks in advance

2. Feb 15, 2012 at 6:49 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    Looks like a basic sacrificial metal application with the aid of electricity. What I don't like is that the frame is negatively charged due to the frame being a ground (negative) for the battery. I think this application would work fine on bare metal kept from exposure to the elements but not on a vehicle. Maybe I'm being a skeptic though.

The only way to truly protect steel from oxidizing is to remove the oxygen, i.e.: coat it.

I think the price isn't very good considering you can buy other forms of RP for less.

3. Feb 15, 2012 at 6:57 AM
    98tacoma27

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    I'm not saying it won't work, but if it did you think it would be a factory option or standard equipment.

4. Feb 15, 2012 at 8:05 AM
    WheelinJ91

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Edmonton,AB
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD DCSB
    Airaid Intake, MBRP Exhaust, Toytec OME 3" lift w/AAL, Flip-kit, LR UCA's, Weathertech Floor mats, hood and window deflectors.
    Yeah for something like this im going to do as much research as i can into the product itself, others like it, and other reasonable ways of going abouts protecting my truck i mean if i gotta spend a few hundred every 2 years or somthing this would be ideal but at the same time how much do you trust it as for it not protecting the other side of them metal ..... cause this does happen.

5. Feb 15, 2012 at 8:14 AM
    98tacoma27

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    I found this interesting

On the front page:
    In the details section:

So it seems it will still rust regardless. It's just prolonging the inevitable.

6. Feb 15, 2012 at 8:36 AM
    jackhart

jackhart Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    11 DCLB
    wow, after reading this thread, i was expecting the price to be alot more. i will do a little more research on this, but since i was shopping for rust protection for both my new vehicles (a suburban and the taco), this may be exactly what i am looking for. they salt heavily in the winter where i live here in central NY. i was going to go to a rustproofing chain (ziebart), but i think i'd prefer this method instead, again, "if" it works. i like the fact you can remove it and apply it to another vehicle as well. after reading about the process on their website, i am very intrigued.

to the OP, thanks for posting this info.

7. Feb 15, 2012 at 9:49 AM
    WheelinJ91

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Edmonton,AB
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD DCSB
    not a problem, yes a vehicle will rust at some point, yes sprays only get at what is able to be seen. so if this will make the vehicle last longer without rust this is an investment for sure other then having to replace the little things when they corrode to much. but if this means vehicle value is up when you go to resell i think that its at least worth a try, no?

8. Feb 15, 2012 at 1:25 PM
    joe54tacoma

joe54tacoma Joe in Indiana

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New Albany Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2012 DOUBLE CAB TRD Sport
    I used one of the electronic rust protection units on a 85 jeep that I just had painted. It still started to rust right through the paint within 6 mos. Yes it was treated correctly by a professional. As far as I'm concerned they aren't worth the trouble or cost. If they were that good every car manufacture would have them as standard equipment. Heck why even paint the vehicle, just leave bare metal and put a electronic rust protector on it.

9. Feb 15, 2012 at 3:02 PM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    Look like zinc anodes to me get them at any boat yard will it keep you truck from rusting? Doubt it.

10. Feb 15, 2012 at 6:09 PM
    jackhart

jackhart Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    11 DCLB
    zinc anodes only work in water. read the actual description on the website and you'll see these are different.

11. Feb 16, 2012 at 4:21 AM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    No water no rust.

12. Feb 16, 2012 at 6:32 AM
    tacoandy

tacoandy Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    bristol pa
    Vehicle:
    3" rev tek
    Had a 95 yj with it , was spotless ... Guess it worked

13. Feb 17, 2012 at 12:00 AM
    808hiker

808hiker Taco addict

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Big Island, Hawaii
    I have the same type of "electronic rust protection" on my Tacoma too, except my unit was made by Pro Coat. The dealership offered it to me when it was new and they installed it for me. If I remember correctly, they charged me around $400 for the parts and labor. I did not want to do traditional undercoating since it can trap/hide moisture, cause it to rust under the undercoating, etc. At least this way, I'll be able to see the areas where it's rusting and periodically crawl under there and properly treat it and touch the area up. So far though, not much rust since I brought it home, though it's probably too early to gauge its effectiveness.

I'm supposed to bring it in yearly for a free checkup, where they inspect the unit and change the anode or something (I forget if that was what it was called). I guess I'll be the long-run guinea pig for you guys. :D

A pic of the unit installed in my engine compartment:

P1013739_fd0b93129db001368e10a573b5f6d7af4d982933.jpg

14. Feb 17, 2012 at 12:05 AM
    4x4jeep

4x4jeep Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Destin FL.
  15. Feb 17, 2012 at 4:37 AM
    Chris135

Chris135 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Regina,Sk
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma DCLB SR5 TRD Sport
    Debadged Bilstein 5100 shocks in front OME 885 coils Icon 1.5"aal 16" fj cruiser Trd rims 285/75/16 duratrac tires 1.25" spidertrax wheelspacers (4) Tinted front windows Grillecraft upper grille Custom Trd boxside decals Allpro front bumper Piaa 510 fog lights Box mounted ammo can Rear diff breather BHLM Tinted front windows Rolltop tonneau cover Hand controls (for wheelchair users)
    Seen these before on friends' vehicles and vehicles I've worked on. They all had 1 thing in common......they were rusty! Trust me these things are fucking garbage. I've seen so many and they charge so much for the shittiest installs of crap that doesn't work. Save your money for some fiberglass panels or something. As far as I'm concerned rust is inevitable and the best solution is to prepare for what is to come.

Sidenote....obviously do the obvious care for it such as regular washes, non harsh materials, don't let any bare metal be exposed, stuff like that

16. Feb 17, 2012 at 6:29 AM
    WheelinJ91

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Edmonton,AB
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD DCSB
    Yeah i have to get my rocker fixed so it covers the bare metal then i will just take care of it the best i can, i already wash it when i come home from work and then again before i leave 4 or 5 days later. When the good weather rolls around ill do a good polish wax and clay bar, and wax and polish during the summer and probably another clay bar before winter and hopefully all goes well and it stays nice for the duration i own it.

17. Feb 17, 2012 at 6:49 AM
    MadMtnMikey

MadMtnMikey Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Richmond/VaBeach
    Vehicle:
    03 DC 4x4 SR5 TRD
    This is a freakin garbage gimmick !!! Just for those that never took chemistry, any metallic material you run electricity through will oxidize (rust) faster. So these magnets will give the illusion they're doing something when they really aren't doing squat for you.

This similar method of rust prevention is used by the military with ships and submarines, but not with electricity or magnetism. They place large zinc bars in tanks and voids that fill with ocean saltwater, the zinc bars help slow down the rust process but do not stop it. This would be useless on a vehicle where surrounding air is constantly changing. It works the best in voids where the water is fairly stagnant.

These momo's are talking about using electrolysis to slow down rust when in reality it does just the opposite.

Consider yourself warned...

18. Feb 19, 2012 at 1:23 AM
    808hiker

808hiker Taco addict

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Big Island, Hawaii
    :eek:

19. Feb 19, 2012 at 3:51 AM
    84Hilux

84Hilux Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Vancouver, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 Access Cab V6 4X4
    Stock Fog Lights, Camera Mirror, Arrow Canopy, Lighted 4x4switch, Weathertech Mats (Black), Wet Okoles- Black/Charcoal, Alpine CDA117 Headunit/ Alpine PDX4150 Amp/Alpine PDX M6 Amp/ Hybrid Legatia SE Components/ JL 10W6V2 Subwoofer/ Prototype MR Marv Sub Enclosure
    There was one of these on my 2007 when I bought it- My frame was still showing early signs of rust when the truck was written off in 2010.

I think it is comparable to what I see on my 2009 with no protection today. The device did not seem to work well- if at all.

It did cause corrosion around the places where the electrodes attach to the fender. Looked like the white crumbly stuff around battery terminals. I can't say that it was an improvement.

20. Feb 19, 2012 at 6:48 AM
    ecoterragaia

ecoterragaia Everyone lives downstream.

Member:
    Central Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2006 RC 4X4 5 speed & 2021 4Runner SR5
    These are common on natural gas pipelines and petroleum AST's to prevent corrosion, but the DC current is always grounded. I don't see how it would work here being that the frame is isolated from (true) ground.

Products Discussed in

To Top